Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Taming goblins and indentured servants  (Read 5730 times)

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Taming goblins and indentured servants
« on: January 16, 2010, 10:28:30 pm »

Is it possible to tame goblins and get them to work alongside your dwarves? Or does the fact that they're intelligent mean they can't be trained? Even if they could only fill the same capacity wardogs do now it would be pretty neat.

Also, a thread came up on /tg/ the other day discussing the possibility of capturing and taming antmen, and getting them to do hauling labors. How difficult would it be to give specific tamed and trained creatures that capacity?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 10:30:15 pm by Particleman »

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taming goblins and indentured servants
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 10:31:28 pm »

At this time the only such slaver that is known to work is dwarf slavery, it is accomplished by adding [COMMON_DOMESTIC] token to the dwarf creature entry.

Theoretically if you were playing humans and did the same thing it would allow humans to have human slaves. No one has tested if you can make dwarves have human slaves via the [COMMON_DOMESTIC] token (or vice versa).

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 10:31:57 pm »

Apparently if you give a sentient creature the right tags so that you can embark with them, any you embark with can become part of the military or something to that effect.

I don't think anything beyond that is possible for now.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 11:06:18 pm »

I once pressed the Tame/Steal button in Dwarf Companion while selecting a ratman in my chasm. From the looks, I could assign him any labor my dwarves could and could recruit him to the military. He showed up in the units screen as Tame and he didn't appear in the military screen.

Then I made him fight the other ratmen around him =3
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Toastergargletop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 05:06:45 am »

there are many other topics about this, i suggest finding one because they are VERY helpful for this!

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=45648.msg900700#msg900700

thats one i started
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 05:08:59 am by Toastergargletop »

P-Luke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 07:38:07 am »

I think that for now, the best thing you can do is add [common_domestic] to humans and elfs, and add [trainable] to them.
You can then bring a long a couple of "war humans" and "hunting elfs", which is kinda nice.
If you want to do this with goblins, you need to either remove [EVIL] from goblins, or make your dwarves (or other main civ) capable of using evil creatures.

If you domesticate your own race, you can't assign jobs to them anymore, sadly. They'll just keep all the skills given to them upon arrival (embark or migration)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 09:49:02 am »

You can assign jobs to pet dwarves, but only while they are dwarves. It has something to do with some entity/race inbuilt required combinations. It's seen in Cacame thread (where it was impossible to assign him as a proper king).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 09:45:38 pm »

Acually Darius has created a util that allows tame creatures that have a grasp bodypart to do work, check it out http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=48100.0