Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 42

Author Topic: EFFIGIES - Dwarfy Fantasy webcomic [DEAD]  (Read 75159 times)

Aeon Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: EFFIGIES - Dwarfy Fantasy webcomic
« Reply #390 on: April 13, 2011, 04:53:25 am »

Glad someone else noticed it, because one of the first things I noticed was a lack of women. This is almost always a matter of internalized sexism on the author's part. Don't misunderstand me, the author is probably a swell guy that doesn't even think about it, and sexism is nothing out of the ordinary and doesn't make someone a bad person. But it always strikes me as creepy how many creators envision a world completely devoid of women, aside from bit roles as love interests or eye candy. As a woman, and one that spends her day surrounded by as many other women as possible (women's studies minor and all) I just can't buy into any world where people like me aren't...well, people. That's not the kind of fantasy that's fun for me.

You can make arguments like patriarchy, and they're all in the kitchen, and so on, but if you actually study history you'll learn that women have always existed right alongside men, doing fantastic and awesome things. The idea that women have never done anything but housework circa 1950's is, itself, just a patriarchal myth and a result of interpreting history through our modern, patriarchal perspective. If anything, there's a lot of evidence that primitive hunter-gatherer societies were more egalitarian. Even without that, though, you've got to consider that this is fantasy, and something like rigid gender roles are easily changed in a world where kobolds and elves reside. It comes back to a matter of importance to the author.

Or fault could be like me- I have almost no female characters in my story because I can't write them for shit.

I used to feel the same way and never wrote female characters for that reason, and that despite being a woman myself. Having grown up in American society where women don't get many cool roles in movies, it took a number of revelations before I made the simple connection that women were actually a lot like men and vice versa. For example, any of the characters in this comic could be made female without changing anything. But because we're used to thinking of women as mysterious and alien or shoved into these love interest roles, our imaginations fail when we try to think of them as people with the same basic motivations and personalities as men. One of the things I love about dwarf fortress is that it actually has a realistic, 50/50 ratio of men to women, even for enemies. It makes me all warm and fuzzy to be punched by a female troll.

Aside from that, what I read was nice. The line art is on the crude side and could stand to be cleaned up, but the author has a unique style that's charming. I approve of the dwarf fortressy-ness of it. Unfortunately, yeah, I don't go out of my way to read anything without women, though, 'cuz of the deficit of life experience it speaks of on the author's behalf and in general it makes me feel like crap.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 05:07:33 am by Aeon Blue »

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: April 13, 2011, 05:00:48 am »

It makes me all warm and fuzzy to be punched by a female troll.

I know this is totally out of context, but I giggled when I read this line.

A lot.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Aeon Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: April 13, 2011, 05:09:52 am »

A lot.

No, that stands completely on its own!

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: April 13, 2011, 02:28:05 pm »

A lot.

No, that stands completely on its own!
nope, reading just that we don't know you're talking about dwarf fortress and might deduce you were being punched by an actual trolless, or talking about an internet troll (ha! females on the internet, what a laugh)

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: April 13, 2011, 02:38:33 pm »

nice work .. but somehow .. pls dont kill me for it .. i miss out the fun of the whole thing ... its rather like a graphic novel but a story about dwarf fortress ..  it rather reads like some sort of soap opera with mildly fantastic figures ... or am i the only one that connects dwarf fortress  - despite its harsh and complex nature - with a more wacky and unstable setting? i mean wasn't dwarf fortress about a colony of chronically drunken borderline sociopathic dwarfies?

besides that .. fine work

you may now stone me

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: April 13, 2011, 03:46:05 pm »

One of the things I love about dwarf fortress is that it actually has a realistic, 50/50 ratio of men to women, even for enemies.

I don't understand why, but my fortresses always seem to be populated by like 90% female dwarves.  I hardly pay attention to genders while playing, so I doubt it's anything I do that creates this situation.  Female dwarves just seem to always be massively more common somehow when I play.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: April 13, 2011, 04:09:45 pm »

to prevent child deaths, i only recruit female dwarves to my army if they arrive with very high military skills, to work as drill sergeants, so i have to recruit every single male that arrives on the fort just to keep a decent sized military... they often seem so rare

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: April 13, 2011, 08:25:07 pm »

Someone should write a story around an army unit composed entirely of women disguised as men.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: April 13, 2011, 08:35:38 pm »

Someone should write a story around an army unit composed entirely of women disguised as men.

That would be monstrous.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: April 13, 2011, 09:03:02 pm »

That would be monstrous.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: April 13, 2011, 09:10:10 pm »

page #52 is up

In which William explains something which you probably already know about

oh, and about the ladies thing, there are female characters planned, they just haven't appeared yet. I think it would be sexist to include a female character merely for the sake of having a token girl - planned character aspects should be more integral and meaningful to the concept, and sometimes it takes a while to come up with well-planned characters...

I would be really surprised if something like that hasn't already been written

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: April 13, 2011, 09:58:49 pm »

That would be monstrous.

Allow me to rephrase...

That would be
Spoiler: Monstrous. (click to show/hide)

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: April 13, 2011, 10:47:52 pm »

Allow me to rephrase...

That would be
Spoiler: Monstrous. (click to show/hide)
D:

Praaaaatchetttttttttttttttttttttttt
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: April 13, 2011, 11:46:21 pm »

Didn't read that one- are they girls or monsters? Does it matter?

Am I off topic or just being pointless? Does it matter?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: April 14, 2011, 12:47:33 am »

Didn't read that one- are they girls or monsters? Does it matter?

Am I off topic or just being pointless? Does it matter?

Well ...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 42