Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 42

Author Topic: EFFIGIES - Dwarfy Fantasy webcomic [DEAD]  (Read 75123 times)

Dagoth Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: EFFIGIES - Dwarfy Fantasy webcomic
« Reply #330 on: December 30, 2010, 06:48:49 pm »

The leftmost at the top is the most catlike in Fault's style, I reckon :P
But I think that maps are more interesting than cats, though... ;D So, here comes the inquisition:

Did you include people outside the borders of your map when you did the population count? I wonder if there are any other civilizations of mankind out there, that crawled out of the ashes after The Empire fell..

Would the melting pot of Merchant City be considered the unofficial capital of the "civilized" world? Also, can I please have a name for it? :D How urban is Merchant City, specifically in comparison to its two neighbouring cities? All three cities including the Keep is within an area of one square kilometre. Are they considered as one great metropolis to people from, for example, Smithy? I'll assume that Mount Ba...kar isn't much of a melting pot, and can't really compare.
Since you are already acquainted with TvTropes: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CityOfAdventure

Excelsior, Fault!
- "Very well. If you are impatient to begin. Go ahead. You are the challenger. To you goes the first blow." -

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 30, 2010, 08:40:17 pm »

COMIC UPDATE PROGRESS
Page #46 is fully inked and scanned, and I am starting the colouring process as I type.

QUESTIONS

Did you include people outside the borders of your map when you did the population count?
"not counting goblins, trolls, kobolds, wildmen, or any others who live in the Wilderness"

I wonder if there are any other civilizations of mankind out there, that crawled out of the ashes after The Empire fell..
there are definitely people living outside the borders of the map, a few who will become important later. There are probably not any very large populations adjacent to the "civilized world", though.... but in the far southern reaches of the continent, who knows?

Would the melting pot of Merchant City be considered the unofficial capital of the "civilized" world?
As of now the villages exist mostly as self-governed and autonomous, with no real capital. Ever since the events of the Age of War, people have been uneasy to rise to leadership, lest they compare unfavourably to the one who guided them previously. But rest assured, a time of great upheaval is at hand, and soon a new leader will fall into place.

Also, can I please have a name for it? :D How urban is Merchant City, specifically in comparison to its two neighbouring cities?
These questions will be answered in due time. Each region on the map will be given focus in the coming chapters.... chapter Two is mainly based in the Great wild for now, but the southern cities will become important in a short while...

All three cities including the Keep is within an area of one square kilometre. Are they considered as one great metropolis to people from, for example, Smithy?
In many ways the cities by the coast represent an ideal to the people of the villages and towns. One could go there and become successful and wealthy, but for every success story there are another hundred people who wind up in the crowded ghettos surrounding the city to the east. Maybe it's not worth the risk - you'd probably be better off to stay in your village, where you have a stable, if unglamourous life.

I'll assume that Mount Ba...kar isn't much of a melting pot, and can't really compare.
no, all of its permanent residents are dwarves. Or at least, the ones the census accounts for - there are accounts of stranger things wandering the catacombs in the bowels of the mountain.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 10, 2011, 11:19:09 pm »

Page #46 is up.

In which we see what some of the other party members have been doing along the way.

This page is larger than others before it.. I had to remote upload it to image shack 'cause the file was too large for smackjeeves to handle.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 19, 2011, 12:19:13 am »

just making sure you guys know I've still been working on this!

the colouring on Page #21 is half-finished, and page #47 is fully inked and ready to scan.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 19, 2011, 01:17:51 pm »

Cool. Glad to see you haven't dropped this project.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 19, 2011, 04:15:22 pm »

dude, I'm in too deep to drop out at this point.

with all I have planned out (which is a lot) I'd never forgive myself if I gave up on getting it down on paper.

I've just been terribly slow with all the focus on getting b/w pages coloured lately. It's going to be tough for a while, but once I catch up updates will hopefully become more streamlined.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 19, 2011, 04:16:39 pm »

Wow. I like.

However, those eyes creep me out. Those pupil-less, soulless eyes...*shiver*

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 19, 2011, 04:27:36 pm »

Yeah, they're pretty creepy!

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 21, 2011, 08:09:31 pm »

page #21 is finally complete.

now you can enjoy the introduction of the Ogre and the Adventurers in all its fully coloured glory.

and I can start working on page #47, at long last...

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 30, 2011, 03:47:25 am »

page #47 is taking a little longer than planned... I only have 3 out of 9 panels coloured.

To tide you over, here's an interior painting of the Vaults of Mt. Bakar.
Spoiler:  large image (click to show/hide)

think of this room as the spoke of a wheel-like structure, located in the industry layer of the fortress. The purpose of this segment is to hold many stockpile warehouses, which are engraved with images of great beasts. Lining the walls are pump structures for transporting water, magma, and other liquids.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 30, 2011, 03:54:52 am »

So, is that just the radiant glow of the magma we're seeing, or is it behind glass or something?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 30, 2011, 08:13:45 pm »

Awesome, but the perspective on the stockpiles is really confusing.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 30, 2011, 11:13:14 pm »

Awesome, but the perspective on the stockpiles is really confusing.
it really is isn't it? here's a shoddy attempt to work it out..

So, is that just the radiant glow of the magma we're seeing, or is it behind glass or something?
well that and the torches. There could be magma in the other segments of the industry layer, it's glow radiating up off the stone walls and brightening the upper portion of the stockpile vault.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: February 02, 2011, 11:27:15 pm »

page #47 is up!

In which the party believes they've reached the halfway point in their journey home.

I'm thinking of taking suggestions on which previously posted page I should colour next.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: February 03, 2011, 12:00:55 am »

yeah, that's not suspicious at all.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 42