Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 42

Author Topic: EFFIGIES - Dwarfy Fantasy webcomic [DEAD]  (Read 75053 times)

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: EFFIGIES - Dwarfy Fantasy webcomic
« Reply #180 on: June 22, 2010, 12:37:47 am »

I've barely revealed anything about the background mythos and people already have theories?!

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 22, 2010, 12:39:47 am »

It shows how awesome this is, man.

:D
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 22, 2010, 12:42:35 am »

really though. I know I've told you and Josh a lot about what's really going on, but there's still a huge load of background information that hasn't yet made it into the comic.

that reminds me, I still have to send MAJOR PLOT POINT TWO to you guys.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 22, 2010, 01:10:11 am »

(particularily the mechanics of how the Dwarven Pantheon exists simultaneously with the other religous figures)
This. A common issue. Deal with it in an uncommon way.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 22, 2010, 01:19:59 am »

worry not, redwarrior.
that issue is one of the few things I have actually bothered to sort out!
but elaborating on it would reveal extremely pivotal information about the larger scale of the Effigies world, so it shall have to wait.

EDIT: I have added a progress tab to the original post, which details how far I am into making and colouring new pages.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 01:33:31 am by Fault »

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 22, 2010, 02:54:32 am »

with the realease of Page #35, chapter two has officially begun.

not much happens on this page, considering it's just a map!

also, I have currently coloured two panels of page #16.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 22, 2010, 08:38:58 am »

Spoiler:  Dwarven Religion (click to show/hide)
Some are questions. Some are criticism.

Are the God of Thunder and the God of Storm the same thing? Usually when one race is created by a god, they usually worship him most of all.

God of Thunder. Very Cliche. If they war so much, they might have a God of War as there lead god. Or something. You siad they were strongest during war.

The saviour. For the humans. You have no time for the arrival of him. About how many years since the start of the point in Effigies was he born? Does he know he is the saviour? Is he immortal? Is he worshipped? I can't remember if this part was in the human religion part. Like if it said anything about it. 

Very strange... The priest class dwindles down. Yet, if you take an example like religion in real life, no God or god has contacted anyone in millenniums, yet there are still many priests.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 22, 2010, 11:41:29 am »

my main issue is that an underground race would worship a deity linked  to the sky they rarely see. dwarves would be better off worshiping earth itself, or have a pantheon linked to the different metals and alloys. in bronze battle axe, a forum rp i was hosting some months ago, i had my bronze age dwarves worshiping mother earth malachite, and father cassiterite, parents of bronze, the god of war. then the usurper god of blood, hematite, showed up

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 22, 2010, 01:58:38 pm »

God of Thunder. Very Cliche. If they war so much, they might have a God of War as there lead god. Or something. You siad they were strongest during war.
yes, perhaps their lead god should be associated with a different aspect. however, one element I have to keep is that the pantheon was started by that one god, and all the others who came after him were dead dwarves that he raised to godhood.

The saviour. For the humans. You have no time for the arrival of him. About how many years since the start of the point in Effigies was he born? Does he know he is the saviour? Is he immortal? Is he worshipped? I can't remember if this part was in the human religion part. Like if it said anything about it. 
this was all explained in the Human Religion>history tab.

Very strange... The priest class dwindles down. Yet, if you take an example like religion in real life, no God or god has contacted anyone in millenniums, yet there are still many priests.
dwarves treat religion a little differently than man. They take their relationship with the gods a lot more literally, considering that almost all of their gods were once dwarves themselves. It is a bit of an equal partnership - if the gods no longer help/communicate with the dwarves, then the dwarves no longer offer them any worship or aknowledgement.

my main issue is that an underground race would worship a deity linked  to the sky they rarely see. dwarves would be better off worshiping earth itself, or have a pantheon linked to the different metals and alloys. in bronze battle axe, a forum rp i was hosting some months ago, i had my bronze age dwarves worshiping mother earth malachite, and father cassiterite, parents of bronze, the god of war. then the usurper god of blood, hematite, showed up
you have a lot of good Ideas. I will definitely have to find a better aspect to associate the chief of the pantheon with.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 22, 2010, 02:21:58 pm »

I wish I was a dwarf now.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 22, 2010, 04:00:28 pm »

Is the "savior" a religious leader or a military leader?

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 22, 2010, 04:31:39 pm »

He's both.

did you even read the "human religion" info box?

Dagoth Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 22, 2010, 06:13:25 pm »

God of Love, God of the Seas, God of Wisdom and God of Luck. Proto-Indo-European gods follow a pattern, i.e: There are gods and they have their spheres, portfolios and abstracts concepts. "Gods of- deities". Most conventional fantasy portray their gods the same way, for example: Bane is the god of Hate & Fear. I'm not blaming anyone; it's a good and easy way in order to comprehend the conworld's divinity - But it's not a necessity in order to make a pantheon. That would however, be the real unconventional way.

God of Thunder. Very Cliche. If they war so much, they might have a God of War as there lead god. Or something. You said they were strongest during war.
yes, perhaps their lead god should be associated with a different aspect. however, one element I have to keep is that the pantheon was started by that one god, and all the others who came after him were dead dwarves that he raised to godhood.

Ironically, a God of War would be a ten times more kliché than a God of Thunders. That's not an exaggeration. Then again, would it be weird for dwarves to recognize and worship storms and thunder? Both are weather phenomena found outside, in the sky. The antithesis of the dwarven comfort zone, no question about that. Storms and Thunder are foreign and strange. The sky and stars were, and in some way still are, strange and incomprehensible to us humans. We called our god "Sky-Father", yet we didn't ever live in the sky, did we? I wouldn't think it wrong that dwarves had a god of Thunders or of Storms, as long as they have a modicum of curiosity and have actually seen the sky and outside world and gasped at "the alien world". For them to experience a thunderstorm would be for us to travel to the eye of god! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_of_God.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 06:24:13 pm by Dagoth Urist »
- "Very well. If you are impatient to begin. Go ahead. You are the challenger. To you goes the first blow." -

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 22, 2010, 06:17:16 pm »

Not as the leader.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 22, 2010, 06:45:27 pm »

the thing about Effigies Dwarves that differentiates them from Dwarf Fortress dwarves is that they are not associated with the deep underground as much as they are with high mountain peaks. (I should probably have elaborated on this earlier!)

Essentially, they were once a subterranean race, but the voice of their god sort of called them upwards. And Dagoth raises a good point about gods being associated with the celestial - I wanted to keep this theme with the dwarves, but have them associated with a more violent and turbulent aspect of the sky than mankind's "Sun God" ideology. As of now, a God of Storms seems most fitting for the historical dwarves (who were a much more warlike race than what they became in the Age of Reason), despite how cliche it may be.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 42