Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Friendly megabeast — what to do?  (Read 3417 times)

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Friendly megabeast — what to do?
« on: January 16, 2010, 07:11:09 pm »

I did some searching around and found references to this, but nothing like a definitive explanation or solution.

In my eh-sorta-mature fort, with 207 souls, I got a message: Omo Onoos the black dragon has come! (I'm playing Dig Deeper.)

Sure enough, Omo Onoos the black dragon has come. Thing is, Ol' Omo is listed in the units screen as friendly. I looked him up in legends mode, using a copy of my save, and found that he was the leader of a goblin civilization, "The Curses of Parching." He's got two kills to his name, both goblins.

"The Curses of Parching" is listed on my civilizations screen, and Omo's the ruler. Their exports and offerings are the usual "terror" and "vengeance."

I sent a squad of live bait wrestlers over to Omo, and he just continued to flap around, taking the occasional but indifferent notice of some nearby rhinoceros…es…ses. But other than that, nothin'.

Now he's hanging out in the northeast corner of my map, not bothering anybody, but also not doing anything, y'know, interesting in any way.

Is this just a bug that crops up in the game sometimes? I've seen it mentioned, so I know it's not unique to my game. Is there something to be done about it? I guess I could try trapping him by knocking him out with a nearby cave-in, but that's a lot of trouble. If I'm successful at caging him this way, will my dungeon master be able to tame him, or will he just be a waste of a cage?

Thanks.

EDIT: I tried putting together an overly elaborate cave-in-to-cage-trap contraption, but I wasn't fast enough. He's made his way to my fort, where he destroyed three doors (jerk) and apparently moved into my front room. He's just hanging out there. The stairwells are on opposite sides of the room, and the barracks is over yonder, and dwarves (and pets) are constantly streaming past him to get from here to there, but he's just hanging out. Not bothering anybody, not messing stuff up, just … occupying space.

Don't get me wrong. It's cool to have a dragon in my fort's front room. But … guh?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 07:36:40 pm by Fishbulb »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Friendly megabeast — what to do?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 08:08:46 pm »

Everybody has Smaug the dragon attempt to sack the fortress.

Not everybody has Smaug the dragon show up, blunder through a few doors and then hang out awkwardly in the front room like a churlish and uninvited houseguest you are nevertheless required to offer a drink and ask about how his family is doing.

Roll with it!

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 08:12:30 pm »

Okay, now he's just being a dick. Smaug the dragon went on a little mini-rampage up and down my central staircase. He destroyed two mason's workshops, two carpenter's workshops, a fishery, two farmer's workshop (all mere annoyances) and two farm plots full of rock nuts that I was counting on for the end-of-spring harvest!

Unwelcome houseguests, ugh!

A Dwarven Smokeologist

• Bay Watcher
  • Shortcut to Mushrooms
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 08:13:21 pm »

Awww I had to abandon a fortress when that happened to me. It kept destroying things and making dwarfs angry / scaring them, however, I could never kill it or get my military to attack it. My containment plans all failed and the site was deemed a loss as it roamed free smashing things and laughing at us all.

I'd like to find out how you finally handle the situation incase it happens again :X

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 08:36:28 pm »

know you know why omo onoos is called omo onoos.
( o-my oh-noooos)

But if he goes back to the front room, set up a cage trap system with a support above it and a roof only attached to a support and the support attached to the lever.
once he goes into the field of traps pull the lever and then the dragon will be knocked unconcious, and cage him if hes on a cage trap feild...

But anyway...

Its not a waste of a cage trap if you trap him as hes not destroying anything anymore... and is in a neat little display...

yould probably have to mod it so you can tame it...
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Zsword

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 08:40:06 pm »

hmm... this might of changed in Dig Deeper (which I don't use) but I don't think creatures can destroy Walls made by b->C->w, nor flooring made in a similar manner, so I would try pinning him in large room. One large enough that he won't scare the dwarves from building it. just make sure a dwarf doesn't get caught in the box.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 08:53:23 pm »

It happens. I have a friendly black dragon, same as you, nesting among my glass furnaces. If he bothers you that much, use dwarf companion to kill him.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 08:55:45 pm »

It might have been changed in Dig Deeper, but this guy definitely can destroy constructed walls. I didn't see him destroy any constructed floors, but that might've been luck.

I got him. FINALLY, I got him.

I was really ticked off, too. He just wandered around randomly destroying everything he could touch — workshops, farm plots, furniture, doors, floor grates. Anything constructed or built, he knocked down.

But oh, how satisfying it was to finally get him.

Okay, here's what I did.

After he ate his way through my dining hall one table and throne at a time — 44 of them in all — I decided to do basically what Silhouette suggested. First I waited for him to destroy everything he felt like destroying. When he decided to hang out in my archery range for a while, I laid down a field of cage traps in my once-and-future dining room. (Fortunately I had a ton of mechanisms and cages lying around.)

Then I built a cave-in trap. I was very lucky that my dining room just happened to be over unmined ground. If it'd been over a mined-out area below, I'd have had to shore up the lower floor with supports. And now that I think of it, I'm not sure that would've worked.

Anyway, the dining room was over unmined rock, and beneath my meeting hall. I picked a good spot in the dining room and built a support. Then I tore up the constructed floor of the meeting hall (it was constructed metal floor over rock) and channeled out a square. So I had a 3x3 area that was supported only by the support on the level below.

I rigged up a lever to the support. (Oh, and I had to put a grate down so an idiot noble whom I couldn't recruit and manually move could get off the square area. Stupid noble.)

Then I baited the trap. I built two marble tables and two marble chairs and set them up in the dining room. The support was by the door, then there were cage traps, then the furniture.

Once I saw him head for the tasty snack I'd set out for him, I paused and used the step-ahead-one-frame feature to keep from missing anything important. When he stepped onto the cage traps, I had a dorf pull the lever. The support deconstructed, the 3x3 section of floor collapsed into the dining room, a huge cloud of dust erupted (in retrospect maybe 3x3 was overkill), and when it cleared, Omo Onoos the black dragon, Omo Onoos the uninvited houseguest, was snoring peacefully inside one of my cages.

Yes!

Of course, about a dozen dorfs are also now snoring peacefully inside cages. And there's a gaping hole in the meeting hall floor. And the dining room was basically destroyed and wants rebuilding. And I'm not sure if my poorer dwarves will survive the season without starving to death, since I was counting on those now-destroyed farm plots to feed them. And I've got about a dozen workshops to rebuild, and and and.

But that son of a bitch is behind bars where he belongs.

Man, it feels good to win.

(On preview: Grendus, there's no Dwarf Companion for the Mac, unfortunately.)

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 09:06:15 pm »

Oh, and for the record? My dungeon master was able to tame him.

I haven't let him out of his cage, though. Might not ever.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 09:09:30 pm »

chain him up just inside your fortress entrance to defend.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Zsword

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 09:24:42 pm »

Well, your plan worked better than my next one, Which was either Magma or Atom Smash, I've learned that those are dwarvenly ways to solve problems with livings. But what your plan did works much better.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 09:30:53 pm »

I had a friendly Ancient Vampire, leader of a goblin civilization, show up at my fortress and just hang out.  She smashed a door, but otherwise didn't do anything.

I ended up grabbing Dwarf Companion and modifying her to be a member of my civilization.  I also edited the raws to remove buildingdestroyer from Ancient Vampires to keep her from randomly smashing furniture and workshops.  Arguably, it's somewhat cheating, but the fortress in question was a megaproject I've been working on for a while and I didn't want to abandon or have to put up with an unattackable, firebreathing, flying, nigh-indestructible building destroyer wandering around breaking things.

The following year she was elected mayor of my fortress and has been re-elected every year since.  So ... yeah.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2010, 09:42:56 pm »

I would just drown the bastard to show him who's the boss

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2010, 10:04:45 pm »

I had a friendly Ancient Vampire

An ancient vampire ended my first non-trivial fort after installing Dig Deeper. Orcs ate my lunch half a dozen times or so, but then I finally smartened up and built my most secure fortress ever. Not a single orc ever managed to get inside my inner wall.

Then the ancient vampire came. And I discovered that ancient vampires can fly. And that walls and moats aren't so much with the worky-worky in that situation.

It sucked. It was also fun. As is usually the case.

Zerox

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Rose Gold lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 02:35:25 am »

Personally, I found this one of the funniest and most entertaining stories I've read about DF in a long time. Well done,  o-my oh-noes. Well done indeed.
It's Dwarves not dwarfs.
Pages: [1] 2