Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Vote for the next topic for Dwarf Fortress talk - Episode #7!

1. The Birds and the Bees and the Bauxite and the Barometer:  The science(s) behind Dwarf Fortress
- 269 (32.8%)
2. Hey, Those Pointy Ears Would Look Good on My Children:  The races, their characteristics, and interbreeding
- 151 (18.4%)
3. Artificionado:  Artifacts and their future in Dwarf Fortress
- 286 (34.9%)
4. Shaft Me No More With That Spear:  Another try for combat specifics, anyone?
- 114 (13.9%)

Total Members Voted: 820

Voting closed: January 23, 2010, 06:05:30 pm

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #7: Topic Vote  (Read 52930 times)

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #7: Topic Vote
« Reply #90 on: January 19, 2010, 12:37:17 am »

Ok, quick question. Would it be possible to spend a couple minutes on artifact weapon specifics? With the new material properties i'm curious as to how it will work, and the same goes for item quality. :)

Was there a reason you just quoted yourself?  Anyway, that would work better if you submitted it as a DF Talk question.

Woah, wtf... fixing that.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

AbacusWizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust me; I'm a mathematician.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 19, 2010, 03:37:22 am »

I went with artifacts, simply because there is a lot of room for expansion.

Interbreeding is also intriguing, if only for the possible combinations. It certainly makes the mermaid farms a bit more attractive a proposition...

Mermaid farms could be REALLY easy--just capture a bunch of humans of one gender and a bunch of fish of the other gender, and put them in a room together. Come back in a few years and you'll have plenty of mermaids!

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 19, 2010, 03:43:48 am »

I don't see why they would be mermaids. They might have fins instead of arms and no eyelids...

If fish and mammals could mate.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2010, 03:50:31 am »

Or, they could end up with both underdeveloped gills and lungs and die within a few minutes or hours.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2010, 03:55:53 am »

I'm glad you get the idea.
The sigs topic:

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2010, 04:09:15 am »

We wouldn't even know what to ask about combat, until the next release comes out and we're all up to our elbows in it's guts, so I'm voting for something else.

--but which one!? They are all so mysterious and fascinating.

I think I'm going to go for interbreeding, because I am really curious about how Toady is going to handle all the technical problems with that.

Like, how would you determine what you get when you cross a human-elf hybrid with a dwarf? Will the system keep track of what comes out a given pairing, so that it will be consistent, or will each new half-breed be at the mercy of the random number gods?

I am curious how a smart programmer like Toady will tackle these tricky problems.

Also, we have very little solid information right now, so we can ask lot's of questions. That should make for an interesting listen.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2010, 04:14:29 am »

He did mention that recessive traits are carried down through generations. Honestly it doesn't sound all that interesting to me; I figure where it comes up we'll see the results with our own eyes. About all that would interest me about it is how races will interact within the fortress. The results of their coupling (if possible) will simply be evident, and hopefully surprising.

I guess in short what I am saying is that it sounds like an unrewarding spoiler.
The sigs topic:

Khamero

• Bay Watcher
  • Bronzebeard - Master of arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2010, 04:59:14 am »

I'm just really intrested in seeing what Will happen With combat, especially the gremling detection and how it Will works concerning My elite axedwarves in full plate and the new recruits i'm getting That i dont wanna se ending up like minced meat. Like if you can order your dwarves to fight equally skilled opponents when sparring or something similar.

Also, with the new tissue system, i really wanna know if My wrestlers can pull out some gobbos fingernails or something, or cut off his hair in a glancing hit with a sword anime style. :D
You might think that this is some sort of trap. That I’m using you as bait to lure in your friends. I’m not. I just enjoy torturing innocent, young girls.

I know it’s sick. But everyone needs a hobby.

Katawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2010, 08:32:10 am »

Those are all so interesting. Given that Toady's given some pretty big details on artifacts and plans/ideas for them already I think I'll go with species.
att has been attacked by a dead and still annoying acquaintance lately.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2010, 10:15:51 am »

SCIENCE!!!!

Thats all I have to say :)

AbacusWizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust me; I'm a mathematician.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 19, 2010, 01:46:46 pm »

Or, they could end up with both underdeveloped gills and lungs and die within a few minutes or hours.

That's fine, as long as their corpses still leave skulls that produce valuable totems. That's what's really important, right?

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 19, 2010, 04:12:46 pm »

That would be one messed up totem.

Spike GT

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 19, 2010, 04:22:14 pm »

Artificionado for me all the way.  I can't get enough of hearing about artifact stuff!

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 21, 2010, 12:22:16 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I picked no.2, as inter-racial migrants sound very cool to me and logical as well (if your fortress is a shining beacon of hope and happiness int he middle of a cesspit of death and pestilence, your fort is bound to have more migrnats than just dwarves). I think this could open up an opportunity for ethnicities and demographics not just of dwarves in the fort, and for a certain race such as humans to become the majority, and for multi-racial nobles, and speciesism in the fort. Interbreeding is also very interesting, and opens up stories of the offspring of strange couples (elfdwarf, anyone?) and stigma against such pairings.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 21, 2010, 12:27:27 pm »

I'll probably go racist and exterminate everyone who isn't a ginger or something just for the sake of a semi-sadistic community story that will hopefully be good reading for everyone.

All of these things sound nice, but I'm not going to sway anyone's natural opinion by revealing what I voted for. Others could follow the example and respect the hidden results.
The sigs topic:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10