Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Top3 suggestions final qualifying  (Read 6836 times)

ravensword227

• Bay Watcher
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
Re: Top3 suggestions final qualifying
« Reply #90 on: May 31, 2008, 08:56:00 pm »

*improved seiges
*multi-threaded program code
*framerate improvements
Dumed Zustashlorbam, Fisherdwarf cancels Fish: Interrupted by Skeletal hammerhead shark.

Ixoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 01, 2008, 01:24:00 pm »

-framerate improvements
-more underground diversity

and  -resizeable viewport
BUT ONLY if it means that the game doesnt have to use that silly widescreen with all the wasted space, if it means that you should be able to resize the game window at run time then this vote goes to:
-fix distance calculations (calculate actual path, not just X/Y-dist)

Isn't the presentation arc next anyway?

Dwarfchik 9000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 01, 2008, 01:28:00 pm »

1. Framerate Improvements
2. Excavate
3. Tradable sand
Ceramics are too dang hippie for dwarves.  <P>Next thing you know, they''ll throwing endless Cave Phish jam sessions.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 01, 2008, 04:07:00 pm »

To add my three cents for underdogs-

-More Raw Files  (I'm addicted to total conversions.  I see DF as less a single game and more a semi-open engine.)
-Resizeable viewscreen
-Dwarves can haul more than one item at a time  (Vast improvement this would be.)

And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Psychohobbit

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 02, 2008, 09:20:00 pm »

Hmm, not sure whether I should get a vote or not.  I've only really tried to play once, and I never made it to the endgame -- so there are probably tons of things I have never experienced or noticed or discovered.  But I DID survive for a few years and ended up with almost 90 dwarfs before the Bad Things happened.. . :-)

So I'll limit myself to thinking about the gameplay mechanics, as opposed to the actual game world content.  After all, I haven't experienced so much of the current content -- so I wouldn't really know what's missing and what I just haven't found yet.  Having said all that, my vote goes to...

1 - Improved interface for Construction.  Especially for walls and floors, it'd be great if you could just pick the corners like when designating an area for digging.  Ideally, you should also be able to pick the source material only once for the whole construction -- Building a large floor out of the same kind of stone is a huge pain right now when you have 20+ different materials to choose from.  

2 - Inventory control.  When viewing a dwarf's inventory, it'd be nice to be able to scroll down the list, find that nasty old xRusty Old Swordx, hit R)eplace, then scroll down the list of all currently available items of that type (e.g. Weapons) or for that slot (e.g. Held in Hand), and pick out the *Vorpal Blade of Devouring*.  As an alternative, allow items to be assigned to individual dwarves similarly to the way rooms (tables/chairs/beds) are.  Then I could just go through my stockpile, find the *Vorpal Blade of Devouring*, and choose to give it to the dwarf of my choice -- after which s/he would take "Pickup Equipment" as a task in the hopefully very near future.

3 - Clutter control.  My dwarves tend to drop their old belongings all over the place, even though I give them nice furniture to put it all in.  Maybe when you get the Manager, there could be an option to order all dwarve to "clean up belonging"?  Or, alternatively, add an interface option for changing/removing ownership of items so you can D)ump those items.  Or letting items be set as either Forbidden, Owned, or Free.

Anyway, those are some of my thoughts.  I have many others, but I think we only get to vote on three, right?  :-)

..and in the darkness I heard a mighty voice saying ''Smile, things could be worse.''  And so I smiled and Lo!, things became worse.

dwarfed one

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 05, 2008, 02:18:00 am »

- give dwarves the ability to carry multiple items (pick up all clothes of dead creature at once. Is it right, or it's mean better hauling?)
- show lever connections / name levers / blink connected (I think, such simple thing should be made out of turn)
- more underground diversity

[ June 05, 2008: Message edited by: dwarfed one ]

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 06, 2008, 09:58:00 am »

my top 3 choices:
-more raw files
-allow engravings on constructed walls
-framerate improvements
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #97 on: June 06, 2008, 10:47:00 am »

-Raw files
-Better hauling/transport
-Improved sieges
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 06, 2008, 11:01:00 am »

Votes:
multi-threaded program code
excavate - mine without stone production
improved sieges (tunnels, siege ladders, better AI, etc.)

I know the first one isn't likely because it's a real b*tch to convert single threaded code to multiple threads. But I can but dream  :) Also I should note that this would directly improve speed so possible votes for that should just be combined with the framerate one.

Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 06, 2008, 12:06:00 pm »

I vote for:
  • framerate improvements: because my comp is slow
  • show lever connections / name levers / blink connected: because they annoy me to death sometimes
  • blackpowder explosives: because I'm an oddball and they would be awesome.
Yea, thats my 3 votes.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 06, 2008, 02:13:00 pm »

I'd like to change my #2 vote from:

2. adventure mode: improved dwarven halls

to:

2. show lever connections

Thanks, zagibu!

Elitay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 06, 2008, 03:24:00 pm »

I'll vote for:

-more underground diversity
-resizeable viewport
-material selection for materials used in workshops

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 06, 2008, 03:59:00 pm »

It may already have been mentioned, but it's worth mentioning that for many players, "framerate improvements" would be the result of "multi-threaded program code".

Were one to treat suggestions like this was in a JIRA system (JIRA rocks), I'd consider "multi-threaded program code" to be a subtask of "framerate improvements".

Ixoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 06, 2008, 04:01:00 pm »

but that is irrelevant, becase Toady has pretty much stated he isn't going to do multithreading.
or at least it's not one of his priorities.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 06, 2008, 06:09:00 pm »

That's really pretty disappointing.

I've invested a lot of money in having a fair bit of processing power but without multithreading I'd likely be better off with my previous single-core processor than I currently am with my dual-core despite the marked increase in processing power.

I mean, I understand that perhaps this is a fair bit of work for Toady to do, but it's disappointing to suffer for having a nice processor... and with the dual and quad-core ones becoming ever-increasingly cheap and widespread, this will grow to affect more and more of the players.

Besides, it may take some work but it's a once-off thing. Once it's done, it's done, and the benefits are permanent.

In the end it's his game and he can do whatever he wants with it. I'd just really appreciate it (and so would several others clearly), if this particular bit of optimization was done for us. I'm more than willing to donate as a thanks (though I will donate anyway when my own financial pinch is diminished).

(please give it consideration, Toady?   :) )

[ June 06, 2008: Message edited by: MuonDecay ]

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8