Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ultimate Fortress Mod  (Read 5942 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Ultimate Fortress Mod
« on: January 16, 2010, 04:44:53 pm »

So with all of the new version stuff coming out, I figured that I should upload my personal modded version just for anybody out there who needs something to play while all of us rewrite our own versions. So I give to you, the Ultimate Fortress Mod! This mod contains tons of new civilizations, creatures, megabeasts, stone, wood, and other stuff.

Most of this is my own, but there are small things that are based on or taken from other people's mods. Basically if you have released a mod on this forum there is probably at least one thing in here based on that. If you see a part of this that is based on something of yours that you would like removed, please feel free to contact me at state exactly what it is that is the offender that way I may remove it.

Creds to
- Impaler for his metal mod
- Great Cthulhu for his project to add values to the raws

Download Here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1782

Instructions
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Civilizations
Creature Changes
Plant Changes
Wood Changes
Stone Changes
Metal Changes
Item Changes
Speech Changes
Other Changes
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Ultimate Fortress Mod
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 05:00:02 pm »

It looks like a lot of fun. Like what I've made with humans in DF Genesis mod, just for all possible types of races :).

Too bad I am finishing my Wasteland mod so I don't have a lot of time to play the fortress mode (I don't have a lot of time to play at all now...) but I will definitely look at this from the adventurous side of view. Thanks!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 05:04:59 pm »

OK, some feedback: I think Mayans would be more happy to have something more than slings and loincloths :). At least some basic swords or hammers :D. It looks like a discrimination.

Also, pirates need a Cutlass as a weapon! And a blunderbuss would be cool too! and an eyepatch as a head clothing!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 05:23:57 pm »

Ok, version 1.1 released. Now pirates have cutlasses, blunderbusses, and eyepatches. The Mayans ended up getting short swords, whips, and daggers.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 01:22:26 pm »

OK Ignore everything in the previous spoiler. I didn't read the installation instructions. At least you see that I playtest it :D.

Anyway, I will build my first fortress and see how I handle that many enemies... If I can :D.

P.S. Now, are the legendary weapons' stories just for fun? Because I've read some of them already :). Or are the weapons somewhere in the game?

This is the time when I don't want to spoil myself fun and look into raws, I want to discover things in-game, and finally HFS will be HFS again.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 01:25:04 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 02:39:42 pm »

Also it's weird that "sorceress" has both genders. Wouldn't it be better to call it [SPECNAME:MALE:sorcerer:sorcerers:sorcerer]; [SPECNAME:FEMALE:sorceress:sorceresses:sorceress]? And why do they look like chains? :D
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 02:41:56 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 03:21:05 pm »

The reason that they have both genders is because in my original goal I wanted the sorceresses to be an all-female entity. However, I also wanted them to be able to grow in world gen and not just be a sterile civilization. This left me with the choices to either not have an all female entity and just have some weird cross-dressers, or to just pretend that everyone was female, give them all female clothes, and change the name of their children to apprentice. At the moment there is also one other civ that had this happen to it, the Dryads. I have considered doing something else, but at the moment that is just the way it turned out.

As to the legendary weapons, the stories are just for flavor, but the weapons can actually exist in-game. They are dropped by a rare animal called a chest that can appear anywhere around the world. If a chest is found and killed, it has about a 14.8% chance of dropping a rare weapon, a 52.2% chance of dropping a normal weapon of various quality, and a 30% chance to drop something else, with about a 3% chance of being a mimic.

As to why they look like chains, that just might be a graphic tileset if you are using one. If you are not, I can assure you that it was simply that I was starting to run out of different tiles for my different civilizations. And the sorceress civilization happens to use the in-game tile for a chain just the same as humans use the $ tile which is the in-game tile for coins.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 03:48:26 pm »

Do you need a graphic set for this? I can make one as I play. I had to replace most races with other symbols because my character set makes some of them to look weird :D.

Also, sandworms for some reason stand on one place and totally ignore my adventurer... I cannot find the reason for this right now.

P.S. Automatic mantisses and bats totally replaced wolves (by frequency), this may need some adjustment (although nice statues are a good trading item :)).

P.P.S. Sorceress do not use any furniture for some reason (and no doors).
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 03:52:30 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 05:39:19 pm »

Do the sandworms have STANCE on any part of their body?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 07:26:45 pm »

They do not lay on the ground.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 08:08:18 pm »

Typo found at the beginning of creature_standard_demons: [OBJECT:CREATUE]

I checked out the sandworms, their body raws look alright and I don't see any temperature troubles or potential organ failures. Dunno.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 01:51:12 am »

Fixed version up.

1) Removed [LARGE_PREDATOR] tag from both automatons and elementals. This causes them to no longer attack everything nearby, but it is a small price to pay for increased adventure mod attack variety.
2) Fixed found typo and one other I stumbled across.

As for the Sandworms, I think that it had something to do with the [LARGE_ROAMING] tag, or possibly [MEANDERER]. Anyway, I couldn't find one after a half an hour so if the problem still happens tell me.

For the sorceresses it might be that they worship a megabeast. I have found through personal experience that sometime civilizations will lose all their furniture if they worship a building destroyer. I don't know why it happens, I just know that it does.

@Deon: A tileset would be awesome. I haven't had much experience with them myself, but anything that would help the player tell the many races apart would be great.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 03:32:23 am »

Also too many creatures use the same adjectives (i.e. goblins for goblins and hobgoblins).

I've got caravans from both and both times it said "goblin caravan has arrived". I've fixed it on my end if you don't mind, and I start to work on graphic set. "Vanilla" creatures all have graphics, and I've got full profession tileset for hobgoblins and common tiles for wizards and sorceresses (normal, apprentice, merchant, noble/liaison).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Cariyaga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 02:43:45 pm »

I'm currently using the Mayday version. Will the tileset be closer to that or standard?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 03:13:08 pm »

This one has no tileset, you can use it with any tileset you want, including Mike Mayday's.

Craeture graphics are in the work, I can send you what's done so far (includes some new animals and races I've encountered during first 2 years and all main races).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: [1] 2