Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]

Author Topic: Let's Play PBEM EFS (Emperor of the Fading Suns) - Turn 47  (Read 38928 times)

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play PBEM EFS (Emperor of the Fading Suns) - Turn 47
« Reply #270 on: September 20, 2010, 04:07:21 pm »

The fleet in general is a problem.  For future EFS games, perhaps there should be stipulations on it.  I would have started a war far, far earlier if not for the fleet in Palazzo's hands (or really anyone's.  Since no one wants to see a house with the most cities get larger).  Since it would decimate both Hawkwood and I, how could any possible offensive be launched under such circumstances?   And it takes so very long to get to the point where the fleet is no longer a huge factor.  It's pretty much the ultimate M.A.D.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 20, 2010, 04:32:49 pm »

You basically need either to spread it out, so that it can't bring it's all canons to bear, or lure it into some spot, and attack in another.
This, of course, all sounds nice in theory, and kind of assumes that the controling player would fall for whatever ploy you'd design.

The first game I played, with Mlittle(et al.), Aqizzar and mainiac, Aq and M have been neutral for most of the conflict, so they used the Fleet as a kind of a police force, which worked great.
When Aq decided to finally attack mainiac, he had to spread the Fleet, as there were a few choke points he needed to control, to protect his mostly undefended worlds. Mainiac got one of those detachments destroyed, and I don't think it was this far into the game(or was it?).

Mlittle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: September 21, 2010, 11:51:10 am »

It's not the fleet that is the problem, but the freely available info charts. So it's predetermined, who will be attacked by the fleet. The fleet loses it's power after the first serious war, as human players have no interest to rebuild it.

You basically need either to spread it out, so that it can't bring it's all canons to bear, or lure it into some spot, and attack in another.
This, of course, all sounds nice in theory, and kind of assumes that the controling player would fall for whatever ploy you'd design.

The first game I played, with Mlittle(et al.), Aqizzar and mainiac, Aq and M have been neutral for most of the conflict, so they used the Fleet as a kind of a police force, which worked great.
When Aq decided to finally attack mainiac, he had to spread the Fleet, as there were a few choke points he needed to control, to protect his mostly undefended worlds. Mainiac got one of those detachments destroyed, and I don't think it was this far into the game(or was it?).
I think it was somewhere between turns 40 and 45.

I'm for putting this on hold. If we do this, would there be interest in starting a new game?
With the final words said, the little bearded loony goes back into his cave.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 21, 2010, 11:52:48 am »

Not me. At least for a while.

Margrave

• Bay Watcher
  • ...You up for a little unsanctioned mining?
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 21, 2010, 08:02:57 pm »

Holding it sounds good. That way at least it's always an option. And if you folks ever want to start up a new one count me in.

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 21, 2010, 08:09:16 pm »

Yea, I'm for putting it on hold.  I feel like I need a break.  The problem with late game EFS (at least the point where my empire is), is that my absurdly long turns are only fun if I'm at war.  All this empire micromanagement, while at peace, isn't so fun after a while.  There needs to be a greater cause. 
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]