Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19

Author Topic: Let's Play PBEM EFS (Emperor of the Fading Suns) - Turn 47  (Read 38938 times)

Alehkhs

• Bay Watcher
  • The Sorrow of Poets
    • View Profile

Ok... where can I get a version with the music? It was one of the best game soundtracks around...

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile

No idea whatsoever. Never seen one.

@Kebooo: Would you mind changing the thread title to reflect the fact that we are not looking for a player anymore?
Or do you just distrust Seamas's willingness to play this game?

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play PBEM EFS (Emperor of the Fading Suns) - Turn 36
« Reply #197 on: August 07, 2010, 03:45:04 pm »

I'm just lazy.  I don't think it's turn 36 still, either.

Seamas, are you going to go by Lord Saladin, or replace him?

I wonder, does anyone know if there's a good way to get a snapshot of the galaxy without showing where all the spotted ships are?  I can re-load a turn and land them all, but the problem is that it would show other ships I've spotted too, like Hawkwood's.

Alehkhs: The soundtrack was always played directly off of the disc, so there isn't any version that has the music.  The music is out there, in a torrent and on youtube, but you'd have to burn it to a disc and get EFS to play that disc, starting with track 2 (which I don't think works in Windows 7).
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 03:56:01 pm by Kebooo »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play PBEM EFS (Emperor of the Fading Suns) - Turn 47
« Reply #198 on: August 08, 2010, 02:49:41 pm »

I is confuse.
How did you make that screenshot in the OP then?

Oh, and where's the save anyway?

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 08, 2010, 04:02:23 pm »

Sent the save to Seamus on Friday. He's cut off on the weekends, IIRC.

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 08, 2010, 04:18:06 pm »

I made that screenshot by editing out ships I had spotted.  Which is pretty annoying to do.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 08, 2010, 04:52:25 pm »

You could just edit the map you've got, by putting a coloured spot, or a flag, or something on the planets. Don't be so pedantic, the OP doesn't need to look perfect.

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 08, 2010, 05:56:46 pm »

Good idea.  I updated the map using the emblems of each faction.  I left the rebel/unclaimed planets without anything, since it goes without saying a planet like Artemis isn't actually controlled by rebels.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 08, 2010, 06:03:20 pm »

Looks smashing now.

Alehkhs

• Bay Watcher
  • The Sorrow of Poets
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 08, 2010, 06:46:42 pm »

Looks good.

My only regret is that I didn't get into this game...

Of course, having never actually played it before, but rather having watched my father play it, I'm not too certain I would have done too well...

Seamas

• Bay Watcher
  • Which way to the Egress?
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 09, 2010, 01:25:29 pm »

Question:  If one is hypothetically facing the Holy Inquisition, does it pay to fight back?  Or do they actually have God on their side?
"One should behave like a gentleman when dealing with gentlemen, and a bastard when dealing with bastards."

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 09, 2010, 02:23:37 pm »

If you're going to piss of the Church with heretic research, then you better be ready to fight back. If you won't, then the Inquisition will burn all your labs and you'll lose the technology that you wanted to get in the beggining. Plus all the other techs.

Their landing parties are beatable, if you can afford to garrison all of your labs. The more dangerous thing at this point in game would be having to deal with the Holy Fleet chasing all your ships. They've got lots of spaceships, which probably translates to having God on their side.

Also, I don't remember if we told you yet, Seamas, but you should totally read the "Nova house rules", which we're playing by. If you haven't already.

Seamas

• Bay Watcher
  • Which way to the Egress?
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 09, 2010, 05:08:21 pm »

I´ve read them.

It appears I´m in for one turbulent ride, then.  Curses!
This isn´t one of those things you normally keep secret, right?
"One should behave like a gentleman when dealing with gentlemen, and a bastard when dealing with bastards."

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 09, 2010, 05:55:30 pm »

The Church likes to scream bloody murder and point it's holy finger at whomever dares to sin, so don't worry. We'll all get kindly informed when the Patriarch puts you on his naughty list.

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 09, 2010, 07:21:54 pm »

If they burn your labs, we see it.  If they fail to burn your labs, it means you had troops there, which means you're now at war with them, and we see that too.  Keep in mind the following house rule:

31.You may not ask the Patriarch for a peace treaty until 5 turns after you stop sinning. Sinning is any of the following:
- Researching or possessing a proscribed tech.
- Starting a war with the Church.
- Possessing a Scepter which originally belonged to the Church.
It appears that the Patriarch will always accept a peace offer, even when you still possess proscribed techs!

My recommendations:

If you're filthy rich like me, you can afford to just build labs much faster than the church could burn them, while avoiding war with them.

If you can't do that, and you do go to war with them, try to avoid their fleets until you can take them out.  The church doesn't build new ships in Nova, so every ship or inquisitor they lose is one they can't replace.  I noticed the church fleets have been dispatched.  This is why I either wait until I can take out the fleets they send, or wait for someone else to be Mr. Naughty before I start dabbling in proscribed technology.

Also, Seamas, it looks like you sent me the wrong turn, I load it up and it's al-Malik.  Since I don't want to see vital information, I don't know if it's a played turn or not.  Can you send me the Li Halan turn?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 07:35:09 pm by Kebooo »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19