Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Suggestion for the Forum  (Read 4401 times)

Brdn666

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerlord
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
Suggestion for the Forum
« on: May 14, 2008, 08:45:00 pm »

In the modding forum, it would be really useful if we could rate the mods so we can download the best mods simply.
The only thing that's not afraid of a dragon is a marksdwarf.
Or maybe a mechanic, if given enough time to prepare.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion for the Forum
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 08:53:00 pm »

Id say that would apply if the Modding forum was a "Download" forum...

But it is really chatting about Modding where people often do in fact post their Mods

I guess they could make another section where they list all the mods and what they do where you could rate it.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 08:58:00 pm »

I have a suggestion about the forum:

Upgrade.

Seriously. Something like phpBB or SMF would be thousands of times better than this forum. Easier to use, more features, better layout, plus it means getting PHP / MySQL on the rest of the Bay12 pages, which desperately need an upgrade.

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 12:01:00 am »

I think spending a few days moving over the forum would be a waste of valuable programmin' time.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 12:31:00 am »

So the Army Arc gets finished on the Friday instead of the Wednesday. Does it really matter in the long run? The extra ease of use and simplified admin abilities would claw back all the time Toady uses now to police the forum.

Hell, I studied Web Design at Uni for two years. I'd do if for him if he wanted.

EDIT: Case in point. The company that made the forum software doesn't even exist any more. A LAMP solution would not only run faster, thus freeing up forum administration time for Toady to spend coding instead, but for us users the benefits are huge. Everything would be streamlined and more intuitive. Just look at the features list for SMF and phpBB. They're the most popular free ones I can think of just off the top of my head. In a game that requires such a strong community to remain viable, why wouldn't we want the community to have such tools at their disposal? Yeah, it might take a while to implement. But you've got to look at the grand scheme of things. DF won't be at 1.0 for years, and when that hits, do we really want to run the community on a creaky perl forum that's falling apart as is from antiquity?

It's something that's been bugging me for ages.

[ May 15, 2008: Message edited by: Dasleah ]

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 02:45:00 am »

Beyond allowing people with different browsers to view the forum... is there anything this forum actually needs? or is this all for fluff? (Not rhetorical... what does this forum need other then allowing more people to look at it?)

I mean... Gamespot is by all means much more advanced then GameFAQs... But Id use GameFAQs everyday of the week before I even try to use Gamespot's

Heck, GameFAQs doesn't even have quotes, image posting, or even message editing. (it has spell check... that is enough for me...)

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 03:43:00 am »

Just off the top of my head:

- Ability to sticky topics. DF is a hard game and a lot of common questions pop up. The ability to 'sticky' a thread to the top of each forum covering the appropriate FAQs for that section would cut down on a lot of useless posts asking the same, repetitive questions.

- Announcement of Private Messages. I got a PM the other day. And the only reason I found out about it is because on a lark I decided to click on the 'my profile' link. If I hadn't done that, I would never of found out about it.

- Easier forum moderation. As the game grows, we're going to get an influx of Asshats spamming the forum. Not only will moderation of the forum be easier, but it'd also be easier to organise and promote users to moderators as Toady sees fit. This means that we don't have to wait for Toady to purge the filth from the forum and keep the peace. And remember, asshats operate outside US time zones, so it can be days before Toady has the time and coincidence to do something.

- Create a better community. Users like feeling like they're a big part of something. We're missing out on a lot of features that helps bring people together - more detailed profile pages, ability to custom skin the forum,, avatars, user groups, list of birthdays, calanders for social events, basic galleries, polls. They're small things, but they still add to the whole. Something that makes us feel like we're as much a group of buddies outside the forum as we are inside it.

- User time zones. Not all of us are from America, but that's the time zone of this forum. Being able to set your local time would make browsing everything so much easier. A related note, more internationalisation. No forum will translate everything for you, but a lot of forums support many languages for a lot of common features, making it easier for users that aren't from an english-speaking background.

- Better security. The more popular we become, the more people will try to bring us down to get their rocks off. A forum built for the conditions of 2001 is horribly prone to attack, and I don't want to see this community brought to its knees by some script-kiddy.

- Better forum navigation. The ability to 'mark all posts as read' is something I've sorely missed on this forum. A new forum means a new layout that's faster and also more compatible with more modern browsers. And better searching, too.

- RSS Feeds. We have one now, but almost all modern forums have the ability to generate RSS feeds for every single thread. For RSS junkies like me, that's a godsend. I just subscribe to the thread about a mod that I'm interested in and I'm automatically updated whenever somebody posts in it. Helps keep up to date with interesting threads.

- Easy posting of news / announcements. Believe me, posting a news item would be infinitely faster and easier if we used a forum-based solution.

- Archives. Right now, if we don't want a thread to die, we just have to keep posting to delay the inevitable. It's a trivial thing to set up an archive forum where we send the best threads to grow better with age for new users to enjoy. And DF has a large storytelling aspect.

- Easier posting. Sure, we can quote and PM and everything like that now. But it's awkward. The icons are small and confusing. And no words alongside them - how are vision-impaired users and those with images turned off going to use them? New skins means cleaner, easier ways to do everything. Which means less hassles for everyone involved.

Anyone care to add more?

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 09:38:00 am »

Gotta hand it to Dasleah, many of those features sound really useful.  Stickies especially are pure gold.

Besides, I'm sure there's plenty of people eager to help if Toady wants to upgrade.

MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 10:28:00 am »

And I'd be more than willing to do my part by putting a plug in the asshats you mentioned.

Asshat...  What a brilliantly nonsensical insult.  I got called a fagjacket once, in the same breath as cockmongrel.  That was on the other forum I'm on, from the resident redneck troll, who also posts pictures of ruptured cancer tumors in threads.  

A sister forum popped up due to popular demand, and he was made an administrator.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 11:40:00 am »

Have talked to Toady about upgrading the forum, to which he replied the same as in a thread on the topic a while ago, that he won't spend the time on changing the forum. I have suggested to him that some regulars would probably love to fix the site for him, but he has skillfully avoided answering that.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 11:59:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Dasleah:
<STRONG>Just off the top of my head:
</STRONG>
Dasleah, that was an excellent summation.  I honestly think it's worth PMing to Toady, not as a suggestion exactly (because he's already heard the suggestion), but rather as a "whet your appetite" follow-up.
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 01:36:00 pm »

We need this forum to be upgraded. I mean, the community is growing. As it grows more then it'll draw even more attention from spammers ect. Basically, the more we carry on using this software, the more it'll be at risk.

Also, the stuff like the ability to post stickies ect would help no end in keeping things organised.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 06:19:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 01:27:35 am by penguinofhonor »

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 05:59:00 am »

So one of these?  I have no idea how messy it would be to migrate things over, since I don't know anything about phpBB or where or how it stores stuff.

Anyway, that's there as a monument to fun for now.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 06:02:00 am »

Ah, the warm basking glow of familiarity.

And as for migration, I'm assuming that it'd be difficult, unfortunately. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the current forum doesn't use an SQL database to store username / password?

[ May 16, 2008: Message edited by: Dasleah ]

Pages: [1] 2 3 4