Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Changing number of dwarves.  (Read 563 times)

Kiberkiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jack Trades' Lair
Changing number of dwarves.
« on: January 15, 2010, 07:21:35 pm »

Is there a way to limit your population to 20 or less dwarfs?
I don't like macro managing fortresses so 20 dwarfs is perfect for me but [POPULATION_CAP:20] doesn't really seem to work, or does it? I might be doing something wrong.
I could be wrong.  What would you call it when you spend that much time obsessing over something that it turns out you don't even like?
Relationships?

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
Re: Changing number of dwarves.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 07:59:25 pm »

The init immigration cap is a bit of a bugger, yeah.

Try setting it to significantly less than 20, because it limits the immigrants on a seasonal, not per-dwarf basis, so if you have nineteen dwarves, you can get another immigration with twenty-odd in it. Try setting your limit to eight or so.

Also remember that childbirth doesn't care about the immigration pop cap. There's another option in the init that controls childbirth, but I'm not familiar with it, so you'll have to wait for someone else to explain.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Changing number of dwarves.
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 08:29:44 pm »

You might as well set it to seven; I've locked a fort at 8 civilians despite using a smelter reaction to produce 10,000 piles of clear glass blocks at the beginning of the game. Rather than mod, limit production in the first year so that the game affirms that you've reached your pop cap. No more migrants will be sent.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod