Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More possible orders for Soldiers.  (Read 673 times)

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
More possible orders for Soldiers.
« on: November 17, 2007, 07:35:00 pm »

Managing a (successfull) military without stress currently is impossible :P
You have to dance around with removing the equipment that you don't want on your army dwarves and stationing them near what you do want them to equip to get them to possibly wear it. Which is alot of hassle.

Also hoping that your markdwarfes won't just only grab one steel bolt to shoot at that copper collusus keeps your spirit down.
And then stationing your squad somewhere. And finding out later that only half is there due to the rest sleeping. Or wanting your dwarved to disengage and retreat and finding out that they are stubbornely fighting.

And that's why I'm suggesting a few interface improvements.

Firstly an equipment list when you select a piece of equipment for your dwarf ala the list you get when you build a wall. But then only for the piece of equipment your trying to get on your dwarf. (weapon type, armour location type, shield type, bolt types and ammounts?)

Secondly a toggleable option which lets you set a squad so that they sleep/eat and drink at the same time as the squad leader. (This would let your squads move as one)

Thirdly a few additions to the squads menu (x)
station squad (keep the same)
retreat (lets you specify a point where your squads moves to while avoiding hostile contant)
pickup ammo when you run out (toggleable, only applies to marksdwarves, makes them run to the nearest (bolt?, or perhaps zoned ammo stockpile?) to get more bolts once they run out of bolts during a fight.

Comments?

Entropy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More possible orders for Soldiers.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 05:02:00 pm »

running to the nearest bolt is horrid.  running to the nearest ammo stockpile is good.  

It is so very aggravating to see a marksdwarf running into the crowd of goblins to collect a bolt.

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 01:30:00 am »

Yeah I know.

It's even more horrible if the bolt they are running to was the only one they were carrying   :p

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 01:41:00 am »

There should be more states, 'standing down' and 'on duty' are insufficient: At times you want to throw everything you got at something, regardless of whether it's friggin' eating, sleeping or doing anything else than engaging in combat.

There should be 'standing down', 'on duty' and maybe something like 'combat ready' at which point they should rather starve and go unconscious than abandon their post.

Reality is for people who lack imagination

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 02:46:00 am »

I'd really just like to have the ability to declare a state of emergency which caused all military to be activated and cancel eat and drink and sleep jobs, for use during sieges, and since I wouldn't want them dying, I suppose they could take a catnap or get a quick drink if they become "starving" or "dehydrated" or whatever the extra tired message is ("very drowsy"?)

EDIT: In fact this is the least I'd want to see out of the soldier system.  I have many ideas which are probably in the dev notes somewhere already.

[ November 19, 2007: Message edited by: Karlito ]

[ November 19, 2007: Message edited by: Karlito ]

This sentence contains exactly threee erors.