Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Not the usual question about sand  (Read 2287 times)

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Not the usual question about sand
« on: January 15, 2010, 11:06:08 am »

I know reactions can't spit things like sand out, but can you use sand in a reaction to produce other things?
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Re: Not the usual question about sand
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 12:03:44 pm »

Bags of sand?

Look at the reaction for glass. Sand should be in there.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 12:11:46 pm »

There is no such reaction for glass, it's hardcoded.
The only reactions in vanilla are alloy reactions.

EDIT: and coal making from ores, and adamantine wafers. Nothing else. Just checked.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 12:12:57 pm »

*ninja'd by wagawaga*
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 01:11:16 pm »

http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Item_Tokens

SAND, it is there. Just experiment a bit to find proper line syntax (if there is one), and voila.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 01:18:54 pm by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

phi2dao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 02:20:38 pm »

I'm fairly certain that you can't make a reaction that requires sand, because the game doesn't know how to look inside of bags for things.
I think that the new version will fix this problem, but you're most likely out of luck for now.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 02:27:41 pm »

I know reactions can't spit things like sand out, but can you use sand in a reaction to produce other things?

A somewhat clumsy workaround would be to require raw green glass in the reaction, considering that you need sand to make the glass. The problem other than the somewhat hackish nature of this workaround would be that you would lose a unit of fuel if you weren't using magma forges.

Another thing you could do is have "sand" rock occur in soil layers and have your reactions use that.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 03:27:40 pm »

I'm fairly certain that you can't make a reaction that requires sand, because the game doesn't know how to look inside of bags for things.
I think that the new version will fix this problem, but you're most likely out of luck for now.

The smelter can't look inside containers that are not bins, and thus the reaction list will never show it, while adding the job from job manager will go with no problem.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 03:47:00 pm »

can you set sand to be dumped out of bags like you can dump contents of vials?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 06:03:07 pm »

Not that I know of.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 06:53:02 pm »

A somewhat clumsy workaround would be to require raw green glass in the reaction, considering that you need sand to make the glass. The problem other than the somewhat hackish nature of this workaround would be that you would lose a unit of fuel if you weren't using magma forges.

I suppose you could make whatever reaction that's using green glass as a substitute for sand also spit out a unit of fuel. That's even more ham-handed than your suggestion, though, and on top of that it would only be logical (if reactions can be described as logical) for non-magma forges.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 08:56:11 pm »

You could make the reaction not use fuel at all, I think.  Or you could have say, 1 unit of glass and 10 bars of X to produce 10 bars of Y.  So glass is required but it only ups the fuel cost by 1/10 per bar. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 11:10:47 pm »

remove the [FUEL] tag from the reaction thus needs no coal, and Job manager orders can grab things from bags? If this is true I can re-use my grow tower-cap and make logs from those to make logs

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 04:40:32 pm »

remove the [FUEL] tag from the reaction thus needs no coal, and Job manager orders can grab things from bags? If this is true I can re-use my grow tower-cap and make logs from those to make logs

I think job manager lets you add them, but I don't think that the stuff in bags will be found to use, so the job dies.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 10:59:05 pm »

I think job manager lets you add them, but I don't think that the stuff in bags will be found to use, so the job dies.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. If your reagents are in bags, the jobs won't appear in the smelter. If you assign the job via the job manager, the dwarf who tries to do it will find the goods just fine.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.
Pages: [1] 2