Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Efficient noble disposal.  (Read 3864 times)

Ranzear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Efficient noble disposal.
« on: January 15, 2010, 02:49:24 am »

Utilizing three mechanisms, consuming only one, and simple building materials, I have devised the simplest Noble disposal system in all my Dwarven experience.

Sure its no Rube Goldberg device in operation, but it can be prepared readily on demand or far ahead of a Noble's arrival, such that they can be eliminated before even stepping inside your fortress.

Enjoy.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
Re: Efficient noble disposal.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 03:01:11 am »

Not trying to be too condescending, but you're re-inventing the wheel, this is already a well known method of garbage disposal.

Besides, the most efficient method to deal with any and all problems is magma.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 03:04:27 am by Blaze »

Ranzear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 03:06:36 am »

Indeed, I suppose it could instead deconstruct and drop the floor under them into some magma...

But I just like being able to be rid of a noble without deeming them worth the trouble, materials, or mechanisms involved in many other methods.

I ask you: Is a Noble truly worth the work of bathing them in the fires of Armok, the most dwarven of deaths?

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 03:15:39 am »

Nobles don't bathe in the magma, they spontaneously combust when too close to it due to their BAC.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 03:23:51 am »

Would a suspending support allow you to recover all of the mechanisms (i.e. the support is on z+1 instead of z-0, and attached to solid ground on z+2)? It would be a little more complicated to set up, but a more permanent 'gallows' setup would eliminate any extra work.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 03:41:32 am »

Easy method not requiring linking anything, nor much prep work at all.

Z 0 ('.' = floor, 'O' = wall, '^' = up ramp. The center wall is over either a deep pit, some water, or magma... whatever you like, really, as long as there's no floor underneath)
Code: [Select]
.O.O
...^

Z 1 (',' = open space, 'L' = lever on center wall tile, 'g' = 1x1 bridge, '+' = top of right wall tile, 'v' = down ramp)
,Lg+
,,,v

Assign level to noble and set it on repeat. Don't bother to hook up the bridge or lever to anything. Just deconstruct the center wall tile and the noble will fall down due to the bridge not providing support. No cave in message, dust, etc. Net loss: 1 noble, 1 building material, 1 mechanism. To set it back up after use, build a new wall and put another lever on top of it.

Haven't tried this before - just thought of it now, actually. But should work perfectly in theory. Gonna go give it a shot right now, I think.

-ed: Tested and worked perfectly - in fact, a little better than I'd have thought. For some reason the lever doesn't collapse. It just hangs beside the bridge in the air, and is still accessible when you build a new wall under it. This brings your net loss to 1 noble, 1 building material. You save a whole mechanism!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 03:46:51 am by Retro »

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 04:06:21 am »

Easy method not requiring linking anything, nor much prep work at all.

Z 0 ('.' = floor, 'O' = wall, '^' = up ramp. The center wall is over either a deep pit, some water, or magma... whatever you like, really, as long as there's no floor underneath)
.O.O
...^

Z 1 (',' = open space, 'L' = lever on center wall tile, 'g' = 1x1 bridge, '+' = top of right wall tile, 'v' = down ramp)
,Lg+
,,,v

Assign level to noble and set it on repeat. Don't bother to hook up the bridge or lever to anything. Just deconstruct the center wall tile and the noble will fall down due to the bridge not providing support. No cave in message, dust, etc. Net loss: 1 noble, 1 building material, 1 mechanism. To set it back up after use, build a new wall and put another lever on top of it.

Haven't tried this before - just thought of it now, actually. But should work perfectly in theory. Gonna go give it a shot right now, I think.

-ed: Tested and worked perfectly - in fact, a little better than I'd have thought. For some reason the lever doesn't collapse. It just hangs beside the bridge in the air, and is still accessible when you build a new wall under it. This brings your net loss to 1 noble, 1 building material. You save a whole mechanism!

Assuming that the space underneath the wall is a spike machine, you could drop the noble in, activate the spikes, and save the building material too.
Just turn the spikes off, dump corpse, rebuild wall, and kill the next noble to annoy you.
You could even stockpile nobles in the pit until you're ready to kill them all.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 04:14:12 am »

No dust at all?  Seems like a bug.  Wait, there's nothing to collapse because the floor that the lever is on is part of the wall.. interesting.

You could omit the bridge and just build a one-way ramp on the side, so the noble is trapped up there until you deconstruct the wall.  That makes the requirements one wall, one ramp, and one mechanism for the lever.

I might just do this for all my nobles in the next fort.  Their bleached bones will sit upon engraved pillars in my dining hall.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 04:23:00 am »

You could omit the bridge and just build a one-way ramp on the side, so the noble is trapped up there until you deconstruct the wall.  That makes the requirements one wall, one ramp, and one mechanism for the lever.

Huh, yeah. Didn't even consider that. That's even easier. Yeah, this is definitely the most efficient method I can think of.

You could even stockpile nobles in the pit until you're ready to kill them all.

Indeed. And they can meet their end however you like, too. Make the pit dry and you can hook it up to whatever little hell you like. GCS arena, anyone?

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 04:27:29 am »

If I linked my spike pit to my gladiator arena, I could have captured enemies fighting the nobles, much to the satisfaction of the proletariat.

Ranzear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 06:53:56 am »

Some of these do have the advantage of not completely deconstructing themselves on activation, which is neat.

I do rather enjoy having a half dozen set up ready for the first suicide note mandate in my new fort. Its now been five seasons without one though... like they know. A deterrent is fine too.

mal7690

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a prerecorded message.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 01:30:22 pm »

I prefer to drown them like the wimpy elves.

The Noble-Killer Mk6.  Flash drown your troublesome nobles in their own bedrooms!
No noble effort required! Just pull a lever, wait 104 steps and your noble will find himself in a room full of water with no way out.  Pull 2 more levers and the patent-pending drainage system will quickly and efficiently remove almost all water from the room, ready for the next noble!
Drainage time may take up to a month to completely dry.  Not responsible for accidental flooding due to not locking the noble in first.  Tantrum spirals may erupt if your noble was well liked.
Cat heads, cat heads, roly poly cat heads,
Biting at the dorf necks, now I have dorf heads.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 02:59:11 pm »

The beauty of raising bridges and floodgates... there states are opposites of each other when it comes to blocking water ;) you can build a reusable drowning chamber that way pretty easy ;)

Takes what? 10 to 12 stops tops and wastes nothing. (Except for a dwarf and maybe some pets  ;D)

Again... shamelessplugging (I dont think my plan for waste disposal are anything special, it just saves explaining time). Look at link in my sig. Remove smashy bridge part, we dont need that when setup as drowning chamber, add workshop-profiled lever linked to nothing in garbage area, and you're good to go.

If you NEED the irony, you can devise something, that the first lever pull inside the room actually dooms the noble. making it totally elegant to reset the system will probably be impossible. You probably have to pull one lever TWICE (omg). Hence I vote for "fake" lure lever and outside activation.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 03:03:42 pm by Puck »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 08:30:50 pm »

...making it totally elegant to reset the system will probably be impossible.
Pressure plates. You set up the lever as normal, but don't connect it to anything. Then just in front of the lever you contruct a pressure plate, and this is the thing that's linked to the deathtrap mechanisms. I'm not sure if the plate will reset itself before the noble drowns, but there are other options. The least feature-reliant one would be to set up a long corridor with atom smashers recessed into the walls.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 11:40:55 pm »

Disregard, tested to be unworkable...  Carry on  :-[

What about this:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 11:49:50 pm by gtmattz »
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.
Pages: [1] 2 3