Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Linux version.  (Read 1648 times)

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Linux version.
« on: January 14, 2010, 09:40:44 pm »

Toady would you consider putting dwarf fortress on linux?
Please?
(yes this is kind of a bad thread, but I felt it was important because I bet a few of us use linux and wish DF was on linux too)
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
Re: Linux version.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 09:44:04 pm »

It's already ported, 40d# releases have a linux version.
EDIT: See the news section on this forum, the link is there.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 09:49:06 pm by Murphy »

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 10:55:58 pm »

I'm going to go out on a limb and say he's asking for support in the primary line.  While it's true the 40d# series supports Linux, 40d does not.  The important question becomes, will the next major version have a native Linux version?  If so, we can assume it will be placed on the main download page?  If not, why not?

Nintenlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Adamantine fever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 04:21:18 pm »

The important question becomes, will the next major version have a native Linux version?
If 40d# merge happens, then there will be a Linux version. It's on the list, but there has been some speculation about dropping it from the next release.
The only dragon I've seen in game walked into my rats nest of a fortress and died in the flames of the conflagration he started in the dining hall.  Of course, nearly every dwarf was dead by then, but we consider it a tactical victory.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 04:30:09 pm »

If 40d# merge happens, then there will be a Linux version. It's on the list, but there has been some speculation about dropping it from the next release.

To clarify: it's not going to be permanently dropped.  The merge may be delayed to get the release out sooner, that's all.  Either way, there will definitely be Linux support in the main trunk.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 12:06:16 pm »

I'm going to go out on a limb and say he's asking for support in the primary line.
No offense, but I think that the very existence of 40d# stuff assures us that Toady does already consider putting primary line DF on Linux. Even if the merge does not occur by next release, it's still about to. Probably soon.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 12:09:14 pm by Murphy »

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 02:00:30 pm »

I'm going to go out on a limb and say he's asking for support in the primary line.
No offense, but I think that the very existence of 40d# stuff assures us that Toady does already consider putting primary line DF on Linux. Even if the merge does not occur by next release, it's still about to. Probably soon.

I was never trying to refute that.  I was trying to clarify what appeared to be a misunderstanding in the first two posts of the thread.  It's known to those that pay attention to the right places that the merge has been long intended.  It just hasn't happened yet.

The question really becomes "When will it happen?"  We'll probably have to wait and see.  Rest assured, OP, it'll come.  We're just not certain when.