Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What do you do with vendor trash?  (Read 2402 times)

riznar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What do you do with vendor trash?
« on: January 14, 2010, 01:13:36 pm »

I'm talking about those 1000 -instrument-s you make to train a craftdwarf. I get tired of hauling it to the depot and selecting out everything. Next fortress I'm going to make binless stockpiles according to quality, with colored statues as markers.

If an update made bins capped by weight instead of # of items I'd be ecstatic

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What do you do with vendor trash?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 01:34:21 pm »

Sell it in huge amounts. Once I have a few legendaries, I basically stop making trade goods until I run low on supplies.

Otherwise, I tend to throw large amounts of finished goods bins into magma or chasms as sacrifices.
Or pour magma over them to watch them burn.

But, frankly, most of them end up being sold.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 01:38:52 pm »

Good idea with using quality markers (statues). I might use that instead of just room sections.

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 03:21:34 pm »

If an update made bins capped by weight instead of # of items I'd be ecstatic
++
I should be able to fit a ridiculous number of earrings into anything that can hold a single breastplate. Let alone piles of them.

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 05:22:46 pm »

I usually dump crafts in a garbage pile at the depot (so that when the traders come, all the goods can be "moved" there instantly).
Anything too big to trade profitably get divided into piles by quality:
-Anything below exceptional goes under an atom-smasher
-Exceptional items either get used in the fortress, stockpiled, or smashed depending on the fortresses needs.
-Masterpieces either get used, or go into a massive treasure vault along with artifacts and such.

I never use bins, and make every effort to destroy them if I find any. All they do is make it more difficult to find/sort things.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 05:34:44 pm »

I love bins. They make moving stuff to the depot much easier, if you ignore the fact that they're full of exceptional and masterwork rope reed socks that I made to use up some of the elf-borne cloth and re-sock the legendaries.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 07:21:02 pm »

I try and set up my fortress for maximum craft industry efficiency, since that and metalworking is where most of my hauling comes from.  Ideally all my craft shops are right next to the central staircase, arrayed around a quantam stockpile with an atom smasher set up right above it.  All around that is a big open stockpile, plus probly another crafts/junk stockpile on a floor i'm not using.  At some point there isnt much to buy from the traders, other then wood and turtles, but its still a good way to clear stone. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 07:24:33 pm »

Trade it for booze and stuff, then scream in frustration when the happy elves bring me enough cloth to make the Hindenburg.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 11:42:48 pm »

Trade it for booze and stuff, then scream in frustration when the happy elves bring me enough cloth to make the Hindenburg.
mod them to either have caravans or make their donkeys carry lots more, then you can have their animals.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Ranzear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 07:28:18 am »

I love bins. They make moving stuff to the depot much easier, if you ignore the fact that they're full of exceptional and masterwork rope reed socks that I made to use up some of the elf-borne cloth and re-sock the legendaries.
Set the quality filters in the stockpile settings and this method is perfect.

I just recently found out you can make bins and barrels out of materials other than wood, and their own value is added to the bin value. One adamantine bin filled with adamantine boots Gets you everything on the wagon.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 08:57:14 am »

Why would you trade away your adamantine when you could get the same results with granite mugs?

Ranzear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 09:46:39 am »

Why would you trade away your adamantine when you could get the same results with granite mugs?
I was using the reaction detailed by Martin in the Morul thread to get tons of adamantine and pushing as many moods as possible to try and get a complete set of artifact arms and armor.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 10:09:57 am »

Shameless plug to the waste disposal system in my sig, because I hate dump designating.

One day all the bugs around floating and falling items will be solved, and then you got a perfect solution. I'm using it in the 2nd fortress now, and if it werent for the bugs, it would work perfectly. But sometimes items become invisible and indestrucible (while invisible). (And yes, stonecrafts can be pushed around by water, and so do metal ones, but why not just melt everything metal you dont use?)

Dwarves seem to be able to touch them and "bring them back into being" that way, but that's not really a satisfying solution. So in the meantime, may I suggest adapting the system to use magma? just pour it on your crap and then drain it, tadaaaaa.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 10:15:34 am by Puck »

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 11:24:11 pm »

I don't use stone crafts for this reason. Clothes making, when done right, produces 500-700 value goods, which can then be decorated with gems, leather, bone, cloth, etc to produce very valuable goods that don't take a lot of hauling. Then, set your finished goods pile to reject base quality goods to keep goblin crap from overflowing your stockpiles and you're set.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 11:30:46 pm »

I usually dump crafts in a garbage pile at the depot (so that when the traders come, all the goods can be "moved" there instantly).
Anything too big to trade profitably get divided into piles by quality:
-Anything below exceptional goes under an atom-smasher
-Exceptional items either get used in the fortress, stockpiled, or smashed depending on the fortresses needs.
-Masterpieces either get used, or go into a massive treasure vault along with artifacts and such.

I never use bins, and make every effort to destroy them if I find any. All they do is make it more difficult to find/sort things.

Pretty much the same, except that the things below exceptional go to the depot, and the reset are dumped down a hole leading directly to a vault on the bottom level.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.
Pages: [1] 2 3