Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sources of fun in adventure mode  (Read 2789 times)

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
Sources of fun in adventure mode
« on: January 14, 2010, 06:37:02 am »

There are not so many options on where to go, especially in the long run (I like playing the same world for decades of game time). I'd like to list what I have tried and ask the community to discuss it, and maybe someone would provide more ideas.

Random encounters
Deadly at start. Can be a fun challenge if your world has enough biome and/or modded-in creature diversity. After you're geared up and trained, they eventually become boring, even though the risk is still there...

Beast-hunting
Under this I mean hunting for semi- and megabeasts. Easily moddable so you'll face packs of enemies. My main concerns here are too simple terrain and therefore inability to employ complex tactics, and also limited amount of beasts to fight. Besides, many of the beasts have missing limbs from worldgen, and that removes part of fun.

City rampaging
Elf-killing sprees and anti-goblin crusades all go here. Towns offer the best battlefields, with obstacles and cover and such. There are only so many civ members in the world though, and... well, I'm not really into playing a psychopathic murderer.

Visiting abandoned forts
You're very limited with making non-monster challenges, since adventurers can't jump or climb yet, nor can they interact with pressure plates. Also, since you would have designed it, you'd know how to bypass it anyway. So, HFS and sieges aside, it only makes fun if the site has a chasm. Then, if the fort is reasonably deep underground, upon your every visit it will be infested with chasm creatures - since any underground tile is suitable for their spawning. Nearly ideal because this is an unlimited source of monsters, and forts may provide unusual environments to fight in.

Maybe cave rivers work like that too. Does anyone know if it's so? Right now I'm thinking about turning such a river into an underwater labyrinth with pockets of air here and there, and hoping for amphibious monsters to spawn inside when you visit it in adventure mode. Also, gotta check if adventurers can operate pumps...

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sources of fun in adventure mode
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 07:19:17 am »

Random encounters
Deadly at start. Can be a fun challenge if your world has enough biome and/or modded-in creature diversity. After you're geared up and trained, they eventually become boring, even though the risk is still there...

As you've suggested, many major mods add to this substantionally. Personally, my favourite mod for this sort of thing would have to be Legendary Lands, but the other major-but-not-total-conversion mods (Civ Forge, Dig Deeper etc) are good for this sort of thing as well.

Besides, many of the beasts have missing limbs from worldgen, and that removes part of fun.

NOSTUN/NOPAIN. They'll crawl towards you like dismembered zombies.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 07:23:03 am »

NOPAIN is a necessity on most megabeasts, without it you can kill a dragon by pinching its nose and then bashing an uncoscious corpse.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 09:19:36 am »

As you've suggested, many major mods add to this substantionally. Personally, my favourite mod for this sort of thing would have to be Legendary Lands, but the other major-but-not-total-conversion mods (Civ Forge, Dig Deeper etc) are good for this sort of thing as well.
Yes. Though I'm picky about what should be in my world, so I only borrow some creatures that I like, possibly tweaking them a bit.

NOSTUN/NOPAIN. They'll crawl towards you like dismembered zombies.
Yeah, it's already there.

I am primarily looking for methods to prolong the existence of a single world. So that after lots of playing there would still be something to fight. Not that I'm desperate, it's just for science.
As of now, I know that only chasms will provide you with enemies indefinitely. Perhaps someone has managed to find more sources? A megabeast breeding program, for instance?

Majorlag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 11:09:29 pm »

You can always try things like climbing to mountain peaks and whatnot. Surviving the cold and monsters without {T}raveling while managing food and water and sleep.

Or you can place limits on yourself. For instance my current adventurer wears no armor. Or clothes for that matter.
The True Adventures of ___________

Insight into the minds of Dwarf Fortress Players - Random Quote of the Month:
He once spent a week visiting a cave in which there lived seven giants.  Each day, he would come in, track down each of the giants, and beat it to the point of unconsciousness.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 01:49:23 am »

Add [LARGE_PREDATOR] and [NOFEAR] to every creature. You'll get ambushed by everything, and horses will run over and try to trample you. Fun!
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 09:21:50 am »

Embark to a bunch of tiny regions with HFS, dig straight to the HFS and release it, then abandon.
Bonus points if this causes your world to enter the Second Age of Myth.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 09:23:38 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 10:10:34 am »

One thing you can do is stop history as soon as possible (if you press enter a little before it starts, it usually stops at year 3, for me), then press U to use the world as it is.  That's usually a short enough time that all the megabeasts in the world are still alive.  Hunting down every single megabeast can be quite a quest, in a Medium sized world.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 11:01:09 pm »

OUT RUNNING A MELTING GLACIER!
My god that was epic...
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

killaconcarnage

• Bay Watcher
  • ROBOFISH
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 01:16:31 am »

there a thread on that

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 08:14:54 pm »

A thread on what?
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

GrafZeppelin

• Bay Watcher
  • The Saddest Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 08:26:30 pm »

Try out the "Traps and Attractions" collection. It was made specifically for new challenges.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 12:34:12 am »

OUT RUNNING A MELTING GLACIER!
My god that was epic...

I had a strange world with that... It was cold enough to have glaciers, but during the daytime in Adventure Mode it melted, then froze at night. I would have tried to follow the flow of water down to wherever it was going, but the constant melting and water shifting made the FPS something awful.

Another interesting effect was when I found an ogre Detailed Cave (what Dwarves use) which was right on the edge of the ocean. Strangely, the underground was flooded completely, despite not being connected to the ocean in any way. I guess the proximity to the Ocean just made it fill up any depressions.

As for ensuring the presence of megabeasts, what I do is have all my megabeasts in another file, then use the "Replace" tool to change "SIZE:" to "SIZE:5". This lets me have 300-400 years of world generation with size 500+ gods running about, with only a handful dying from kobolds and children. Before actually playing, I have to remember to change it back...
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 10:25:04 am »

I have been finding it very fun to adventure with the Mega Mix mod.  Mostly because of the wide variety of totally bizarre and unexpected creatures, civilizations and materials in it.  I keep getting killed by creatures I've never heard of before in totally unexpected ways.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 11:46:13 am »

lean new combat powers:
dwarf fu,lean to kill with bear hands, true masters can punch clean in to the heart of a elf in one blow.

go ice diveing.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG
Pages: [1] 2