Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rock modding help  (Read 720 times)

UltraTwinkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rock modding help
« on: January 14, 2010, 01:24:14 am »

i am trying to mod dwarf fortress so mining leaves no rocks. I need this so i can mine out the city i want without stone everywhere. is there a way to do this? i tried to mod the layer files but it replaces the stone with a different kind.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rock modding help
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 01:32:05 am »

You'll have to just add the SOIL tag to everything in matgloss_stone_layer.txt, matgloss_stone_gem.txt and matgloss_stone_mineral.txt. As far as I know, that's the best you can do. Doing so may or may not require you to generate a new world (probably not, but the game might bug out if you've already mined some stone and then removed the stones from existance).

If, however, you do actually want stone at some point, just not stone left behind, and want to do the above, you'll want to do the above first, then mod in a new stone type, and create a smelter reaction to produce that stone type. That will require you to generate a new world.

Finally, doing things this way won't let you smooth/engrave the walls or anything as all the stone types will be soils. I'm also extremely unsure as to how the game would handle you taking the SOIL tag away after you've used it for a while. The only other way of doing this is to dump all the stones, atomsmash them, make a reaction that destroys them for you, etc, but it'll be timeconsuming regardless, and no better than what you've got already.

UltraTwinkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 01:34:25 am »

well i tried that, it just replaced the rock with another rock without that SOIL tag. it smoothed normally on pocket minerals like alunite but layers dont work.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 01:42:19 am »

Ah, I think I've forgotten something. It's unlikely that you'll actually be able to get rid of rock layers, because whether the game uses a rock or a soil layer depends on the biome it's generating, so it'll always choose rock layers for mountains, always soil layers for deserts, etc..

So I don't think there's any way round this. Sorry.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 07:24:14 am »

Just make the melting point of the rock you don't want to be low, and it will melt into puddles.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 10:58:52 am »

Make the melting point 10000.  This is the freezing point of water, in DF degrees.  Don't make it 0.  That will freeze and kill anyone who mines out the rock.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 01:25:02 pm »

Even better, make the boiling point 10,000. That will cause the rock to simply vaporize into pretty red clouds instead of generating jobs for workers.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod