Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Help with Mega-Project: Midgar from FF7  (Read 3790 times)

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
Help with Mega-Project: Midgar from FF7
« on: January 13, 2010, 09:03:32 pm »

Okay, I wanna try a little mega project. I've been seeing myself building one for a while, and I was wondering if Building Midgar from Final Fantasy 7 was a good idea. I know that I'd probably have to dumb it down a lot.

Here's the idea's I've got so far.

I want to build it out of black stone. I want it built over a Magma pipe, so I can go ahead and channel from it, to 8 different places, where the 'reactors' would be. Completely for show of course.

I want it to be huge.

Other than that, I'm drawing blanks. Any suggestions?

Any suggestions? o-o
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 10:07:36 pm by Kamudo »
Lisidadil - A story of one of my first forts.

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Mega-Project: Midgar from FF7
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 09:25:52 pm »

Yes I believe supports can be built on top of each other but I never tried it so dont take my word for it. You ca make like a giant tree. Make like a cylinder made out of wood up a few zs and make a sphere or something on top of it or something make out of green,yellow or red stones.Build a trade depot on top of it and when the elven caravan come wait till they unload there stuff and destroy the tree.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 09:37:40 pm »

-Scratches head- Okay, thanks.

I dunno what you mean by a giant tree.. >_> I don't wanna build that. xD

I'll find a picture, for those unfamiliar.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 09:52:23 pm »

Supports can be stacked, though you'll need a floor tile in between each one.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 09:56:20 pm »

Good luck with it dude! It'd be awesome to see midgar in DF. Should be to scale tho hahaha.. >.> Blue prints for midgar anyone?
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 10:07:02 pm »

Thanks. -Scratches head-

Is there anyway to create blueprints aside from drawing? Cause I don't wanna start building and then make a mistake. =/

Thanks for the Support Question I had. ^^

JamPet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 10:20:00 pm »

You wouldn't need supports for the plates right?  Just a tall pillar going up and up and a support at the very top.  Once you get to right under the plate level you could build a little platform where is located both the support and the lever to deconstruct it, so you could reenact that scene.  The pillar should be knocked over or mostly knocked over by the falling plate.  That doesn't sound like cheating it to me (Although no helicopters in DF, so the Turks would not be getting any dramatic helicopter rescues. Whatevs!).  I guess that you would use bridges to link the separate plates together.

On top of the plates you could build houses for all of the skilled dwarves and place your industries.  Down underneath in the slums could be low quality furniture and rooms for your hauler class.  Let miasma rot in the slums and try and nice up the upper levels with a statue garden maybe to preserve the feel of it the game.  And of course in the center of the city, a huge tower built to the very top of the sky in your map housing the Shin-ra military elite and the nobles of the city!  No forget to capture a suitably dangerous monster and hide it in the tower to play the part of Genova.

Sounds like some fun!

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 10:41:54 pm »

Hehe, I like your suggestion. *-*

Thank you for your help. ^^

I was thinking that the Mayor could live in the top most floor of the Shinra building. I really don't wanna build it super tall, but I could try to recreate most of the floors. Hojo's lab, lobby area, Top floor, along with the balcony.

Having a Genova incident would be cool. And build a big Highway or something, for Caravans. O:

Chewykittens

• Bay Watcher
  • Never befor has the letter "c" been so appetizing
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 11:11:59 pm »

Well, you can do a practice version to get the idea down.  My suggestion would be to make the Imperial City from Elderscrolls 4 (Oblivion.)  Round shape walled up into slices, 6/8 towers along the outer wall (Going from memory cause I can't find any good pics.) And a giant tower in the middle.

Make that first, all the while making up the design; then move up to Midgar.  As for ways to draw up blueprints (there's really no other way) I suggest paint.net and abuse the hell out of the layers.

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 11:19:58 pm »

Yeah, I'll do a practice first. I know I'll most likely get it wrong, but it'll still be fun. I'm trying to decide if It should be built above ground, or if I should dig it out. Partly because giant plates would be annoying to build, plus the.. I dunno.. x-x;

Well, Paint it is then. =/ I'll do my best to provide a shitty Blueprint. xD

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 01:32:37 am »

Ew, I started working on it slowly, and my computer fucking restarted. -_-

Anyways, if I build walls diagonally, will they connect?

xoooo
oxooo
ooxoo
oooxo
oooox

The x being a wall? >_>
If that makes any sense.

beekay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 01:43:19 am »

Nope. Everything will be able to move through the diagonal gaps (except for miasma, mist, smoke, etc).

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 01:52:53 am »

Damn. =/ Well at least I don't have to build walls on top.. Aside from houses, but those are square. xD

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 02:07:34 pm »

Obviously, the magma reactors need to be able to flood the countryside around Midgar in case of Weapon attacks! Why do you think it was so dark and barren in the game?

If you're feeling ambitious, you could replicate latter-day Midgar's Mako Cannon as a Magma Cannon fed from a cistern fueled by the reactors.

And yeah, just make the slums a hellhole. Refuse piles everywhere, animals messing up pathing, lack of food, water, and booze, and periodic Plate Drops. Who needs a practice map when part of the fortress design is the ability to destroy any given segment?

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 03:43:00 pm »

Well, the map I've selected has no magma, at least for the practice.

So far, my people keep getting attacked by leopards, and two have died. It's mid summer, and They've barely made it to the second floor of the central Pillar.

My fort is 16 floors above ground, so I'm doing the plate 5 Z levels tall, and Shinra building will be 10 z levels tall, with one to spare at the top.

So far, I think I've got the measurements all screwy, or my map isn't big enough to support Midgar.

I've already started on the slums. It sucks. I try to keep the Plate Dwellers and the slum dwellers separate, but it doesn't work. -Shrugs-

Pages: [1] 2