Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Help with Mega-Project: Midgar from FF7  (Read 3791 times)

MrFake

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Elficidal Maniac
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Mega-Project: Midgar from FF7
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 04:32:52 pm »

Build it, don't dig it out.  And, use supports on the bottom of the pillars, not at the top.  The effect is that if you collapse a section--and you damn well better collapse a section!--the pillar gets destroyed too, and all the rubble ends up at the bottom.  So

- Supports at the bottom means the pillar will cave in with the structure.
- Building it, instead of digging it out, means the pillar and the plate section will deconstruct, instead of just settling. (Squishing is fun, too, but far too clean)

The plates don't need to be that thick, that way the center tower is relatively a bit taller.  Use bridges between plate sections so they don't support each other, but dwarfs can still get from one to the other.  In place of the train system, just create a multi-step dwarf lock system up the central pillar, that way the slum dwellers can't get up to the top unless you want them to get there.

A Mako Magma Cannon would be the funniest thing ever!  Especially watching magma spurt out the end and, hopefully, fall back into the city.
Swordbaldness: a trial of patience.

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 05:01:09 pm »

Thank you for your advice, MrFake.

I was going to have the central Pillar, the really huge one, be hollow, to allow for crops, and for storage... If they'll need it, but only the upper plate people can get to it, so.. Possibly some high class plants can be grown there.. Possibly an upper plat food district. While the Lower plate people, only gets refuse from above, or whatever. I'll just have random dump holes in the plates, they can dump old clothes, bones, other stuff.

I really wanna drop a plate on a goblin seige. >_>

Also, how would I get a Caravan up to the Plate? Would I have to do some weird stuff with ramps and bridges?

So far, Midgar is coming along crappy, good thing it's only the practice one. x-x
Lisidadil - A story of one of my first forts.

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2010, 02:57:47 am »

shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii(two days later)iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.
Thats all i have to say... well not quite...

If you did it properly it would be an ultra mega project that would probably dwarf (haha) all others...
And to do it properly would require a size 16x16 map (bye bye fps...)...

Hell you may be able to do it fairly acurate... probably will with 16x16...

# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2010, 03:11:22 am »

Wow I just read 2 days worth of iiiiiiiiis in like a seconds...
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2010, 08:35:12 pm »

My computer can only handle up to 10x10 maps, and thats only for about a year, anything more, and it lags, badly.

But yeah, Building it has been a pain. I've had to restart several times due to issues.

Plus I can't seem to find a completely flat map with Magma and water. Anybody got anything useful I could use?

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2010, 10:16:10 pm »

What kind of dwarf are you? If the land is too hilly, then STRIKE THE EARTH.

Even more dwarvenly, obsidian cast the lowlands to level it off. It'll absolutely destroy your framerate, but it'll be AWESOME.

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2010, 11:15:16 pm »

I prefer maps that is lower than 2z. Can't be bothered to go up that high...
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2010, 04:14:18 am »

But.. My Dwarves Picks are only meant to Strike through to the sky!

-Points to the sky!-

That would be awesome, and an easy way to flatten hilly land out. >_>

But My Framerate is already bad enough as it is. =/

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2010, 11:45:35 am »

As for ways to draw up blueprints (there's really no other way) I suggest paint.net and abuse the hell out of the layers.
Thank you. You've made me see the light. Layers! Why didn't I think of that?
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.
Pages: 1 [2]