Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The dwarven ego at its finest  (Read 2753 times)

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
The dwarven ego at its finest
« on: January 13, 2010, 05:15:39 pm »

While engraving the Administration's rooms, the Mayor engraved something I think is a little big-headed.

Engraved on the floor is a superiorly designed image of Kadol Boatscovers the dwarf and dwarves by Kadol Koganlaltur. Kadol Boatscovers is surrounded by the dwarves. The artwork is related to the ascension of the dwarf Kadol Boatscovers to leadership of the Citadel of the Sun in the early spring of 303.

This was done in the Mayor's office. Several times.
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

snaggles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The dwarven ego at its finest
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 05:42:02 pm »

If your fort hasn't been stricken by a massacre of some sort, expect hundreds (or thousands) of engravings pertaining to the founding of your fort, the election of a mayor, various shapes, and maybe goblins being struck down.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 05:51:49 pm »

Which suddenly made me think of this:

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 06:11:04 pm »

After engraving the whole room, I now see that the other engraver is kissing the Mayor's ass by engraving the same thing several times. Pretty much everything else is of the Mayor's husband killing gobs by the dozens during the sieges I've had.
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 07:00:24 pm »

I once had a legendary engraver engrave an engraving of himself engraving a masterpiece engraving.

Somebody was feeling pretty good about himself that day.

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 07:11:40 pm »

I once had a legendary engraver engrave an engraving of himself engraving a masterpiece engraving.

I get that alot with artifacts with pictures on them.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 08:42:29 pm »

I love it when engravers doing bedrooms engrave images the owner of the bedroom hates.

"I hate cockroaches"
"That's good, because every tile is an image of a cockroach!"

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 09:13:30 pm »

I love it when engravers doing bedrooms engrave images the owner of the bedroom hates.

"I hate cockroaches"
"That's good, because every tile is an image of a cockroach!"
Lol my only engraver who is a legendary is married and his wife is really annoying and everybody hates her and he engraves thousands of pictures of her in everybody's beds

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 09:14:39 pm »

I hope at some point we get to dictate something specific to the engravers so we can do things like that on purpose.
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

JamPet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 10:42:31 pm »

My current mayor, Lorbam, absolutely detests purring maggots.  A popular engraving in my fort is.

Here is an engraving of Lorbam Laborbelt and purring maggots, Lorbam Laborbelt is surrounded by the maggots, Lorbam Laborbelt looks terrified!

Most of the time those random engravings are pretty boring but every now and again you get one that is exactly on the dot of hilariousness.

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 11:08:38 pm »

he engraves thousands of pictures of her in everybody's beds
I thought you said everybody hates her. :P

My dining room is invariably covered with pictures of things being struck down and stuff. This suits my dwarves perfectly fine.
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

Lalandrathon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 11:34:17 pm »

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 12:12:32 am »

Wow that's trippy.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 12:32:37 am »

I hope at some point we get to dictate something specific to the engravers so we can do things like that on purpose.

Maybe we can get it in a sort of cross between stockpiles and designations? You get a menu of choices similar to the stockpile menu - history, dwarves, artifacts, animals, insects, shapes, etc - and then make the designation. Could probably also do with a "random" option (for when you don't care) and a "custom" option (for when you want something more specific than the broad categories, like a champion killing orcs to engrave his tomb).

Additionally, all levels of engravers can do any sort of image, but the quality of the image at low skill levels makes it hard to tell exactly what was engraved. For instance, at dabbling, an attempt at a historical engraving may result in "This appears to be an image of [stuff], but is little more than scratches. No details are evident." Conversely, a legendary engraver may result in "This is a complex mosaic of [stuff]. The details are minute and exquisite. [Description of details]."

Maybe experienced engravers can also start using any kind of stone you've mined out in their engravings. For instance, to use the above example, "This is a complex mosaic of [stuff], inset with microcline and realgar on a gabbro wall. [yadda]." They wouldn't actually consume any rock boulders in doing this, presumably the inserted stone is little more than small polished rocks, so it can be abstracted a little. Maybe once tools are in you can start polishing stone blanks to be used as insets, cut gems too, and experienced engravers will carry them around to spice up their engravings.

Grafsburg

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mad Catta
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 12:54:13 am »

I think you just won a cookie for that.
"The great thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain." ~Bob Marley
Pages: [1] 2