Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The dwarven ego at its finest  (Read 2746 times)

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
Re: The dwarven ego at its finest
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 01:13:39 am »

I once had a legendary engraver engrave an engraving of himself engraving a masterpiece engraving.

Somebody was feeling pretty good about himself that day.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think you just won a cookie for that.

Make that two cookies
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

docawesome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 01:58:26 am »

I always liked it when a dwarf has to sleep in a room full of engravings of his family getting butchered by goblins.

MacaqueAttack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 08:57:59 pm »

I hope at some point we get to dictate something specific to the engravers so we can do things like that on purpose.

Maybe we can get it in a sort of cross between stockpiles and designations? You get a menu of choices similar to the stockpile menu - history, dwarves, artifacts, animals, insects, shapes, etc - and then make the designation. Could probably also do with a "random" option (for when you don't care) and a "custom" option (for when you want something more specific than the broad categories, like a champion killing orcs to engrave his tomb).

Additionally, all levels of engravers can do any sort of image, but the quality of the image at low skill levels makes it hard to tell exactly what was engraved. For instance, at dabbling, an attempt at a historical engraving may result in "This appears to be an image of [stuff], but is little more than scratches. No details are evident." Conversely, a legendary engraver may result in "This is a complex mosaic of [stuff]. The details are minute and exquisite. [Description of details]."

Maybe experienced engravers can also start using any kind of stone you've mined out in their engravings. For instance, to use the above example, "This is a complex mosaic of [stuff], inset with microcline and realgar on a gabbro wall. [yadda]." They wouldn't actually consume any rock boulders in doing this, presumably the inserted stone is little more than small polished rocks, so it can be abstracted a little. Maybe once tools are in you can start polishing stone blanks to be used as insets, cut gems too, and experienced engravers will carry them around to spice up their engravings.

The way I see it, the Dwarf should be able to choose what he engraves because it's an expression of how he feels, kinda like artifacts.

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2010, 01:50:29 am »

Speaking of engravings...  I've always wondered, but I never took it upon myself to try, what would happen if...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2010, 03:45:51 pm »

Engravings are not an expression of how the dwarf feels, they are the first thought in the engraver's mind repeated over 200 times. You think 200 engravings of cheese is artistic?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2010, 06:04:47 pm »

Engravings are not an expression of how the dwarf feels, they are the first thought in the engraver's mind repeated over 200 times. You think 200 engravings of cheese is artistic?

Maybe autistic.

Bad joke aside, I'm not really sure how the imagination and artistic (appreciates art and natural beauty for example) traits affect what things an engraver makes. Having actual events to engrave about does help, but even when I used an engraver who was 'bored with reality', I still got alot of engravings of the founding, various dwarves, and a bunch of engravings of himself engraving stuff.

Naes Draw

• Bay Watcher
  • She likes modding for their customizability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2010, 04:46:19 pm »

I had something more disturbing then ego-y.

I was working on a civ, and started playing. Turns out somehow they are rigged to have their meat and leather available.

The second time they come to trade, they have a thong made out of their own leather, with our first meeting embroidered on it...

Uh. We like you too?
[CREATURE:CAT]
   [NAME:sena cat:sena cat:sena cat]
   [INTELLIGENT] [MISCHIEVOUS] [FEMALE]
   [PREFSTRING:craziness]
   [SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_SHOES:UNCOMMON]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:MODDER]
Pages: 1 [2]