Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d16] Embark on half an ug river leads to drainage issues[obsolete next ver]  (Read 612 times)

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not sure if this is really a bug and in some ways it might be helpful...

I am on an embark with a multi-tiered underground river.  However the entire river is not in my embark area.  The river has several waterfalls before it reaches the edge of the map.

The edge of the map in this case is not the normal river/brook drainage that keeps the river flowing.  It appears to be draining the same as if you carve fortifications in the wall.  This leads to the input to the river being faster than the drainage so that now the underground river and all of its waterfalls are full to the level of the "entrance waterfall" where the underground river begins.

I'm really not sure how much of a bug it is, but it seems like its not working as it should, so i thought i'd mention it.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 02:17:09 pm by happydog23 »

Salabasama

• Bay Watcher
  • Cyber-elf
    • View Profile
Re: [40d16] Embarking on half an underground river leads to drainage issues
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 01:54:27 pm »

You mean that it doesn't "fall" at those waterfalls?
I keep thinking glacier fortress would be fun, but it always ends up as cave layer fortress.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 02:00:24 pm »

For what it's worth, the next version won't have underground rivers (see this conversation for details), and they'll have to be rewritten when they're added back in.  So this bug should be obsolete.  If you want, you can rename the thread to reflect that fact.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 02:07:48 pm »

The edge of the map in this case is not the normal river/brook drainage that keeps the river flowing.  It appears to be draining the same as if you carve fortifications in the wall.

FYI, the "normal river/brook drainage" and "fortification drain" are 100% identical.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 02:26:09 pm »

The edge of the map in this case is not the normal river/brook drainage that keeps the river flowing.  It appears to be draining the same as if you carve fortifications in the wall.

FYI, the "normal river/brook drainage" and "fortification drain" are 100% identical.

I guess I am used to seeing water levels "fall" at the edge of the map... That is the last 2-3 tiles are constantly dropping at at less than 7/7 water

This underground river is not doing that an in fact as completely filled all space up to the source instead of draining at the same rate as the water coming in...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I was under the impression that even with the waterfalls, the water should be maintaining the same level instead of backing up like this.

But since it won't matter in the next version, i guess it doesn't really matter

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions

The problem is that the "waterfall" tiles that source the underground river produce water far more quickly than it can drain off the map edge, causing it to overflow. If you were to expand the exit sufficiently, it would drain properly.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.