Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: the spark of magma  (Read 919 times)

waldo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
the spark of magma
« on: January 13, 2010, 02:15:12 am »

so here's what i was thinking, dwarf fortress is supposed to have some sort of magic system eventually right? so one of the first things that i would like to see is a spark of magma, basically it's a building that you make using a vile and ten units of liquid fire retrieved from a fire snake or bought from merchants. then in an alchemists workshop you make the actual spark of magma. you build the spark of fire building underneath a gigantic rock that then smashes into the building creating a constant magma chamber of 3x3x3. conversely you could just put the building over a ledge and dump all the excess rocks in turning them to magma.

of course it needs to be extremely expensive, like rivaling adamantine anvils expensive, this way you can't just take it where ever you go and make one for every forge, metalsmith shop, and glass furnace, you have.

this would be really nice because we could basically put magma anywhere we wanted, and would finally allow the booze explosion to be a viable fortress defense. also to kill those damn cats.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: the spark of magma
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 02:28:05 am »

DF's magic, as planned, is to be more procedurally generated, different across worlds, rather than 'a + b = c' formulas.

Malrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: the spark of magma
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 02:51:25 am »

DF's magic, as planned, is to be more procedurally generated, different across worlds, rather than 'a + b = c' formulas.

So it would be more like this:

Urist McAlchemist attempts to create spark of magma!

Urist McAlchemist has drowned.
Urist McMayor has drowned.
Urist McPeasant has drowned. x54

It's like adding another dimension of fun into the game.