Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 'Hell' Biome.  (Read 2168 times)

Saronsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
'Hell' Biome.
« on: January 13, 2010, 12:08:27 am »

I know, I know. It has been discussed before. But I've only seen it in closed threads, so I found nowhere to post my ideas.

I was thinking there could be an additional option added to the start, (Like Reclaim Fortress) but instead you would start in a cavern with some supplies, armor, and weaponry. This cavern would have natural (or unnatural  :-X) tunnels that are frequented by demons. If you use your imagination, you could have been sent there with your group (I'd recommend the group start at 14 instead of 7) to build a fortress to defend the upper levels from attack until you can seal the path to the upper world, or you were sent to gather adamantine and other rare metals and jewels for you and your brave crew to earn their fortunes with, and then collapse the cavern, sealing off entrance permanently. This level would have magma rivers, atleast one pipe (up to four I'd say), and have underground caverns with large lakes and river systems to allow you to farm for food. Dwarven Caravans would be the only ones to visit your fortress, and from the entrance you started at. But they would come twice a year, in fall and spring. Nobility would only come after having a well defended fortress (meaning deaths would be on the low side), and almost all migrants would have some sort of weapons skill. For each world created, I would say there would be three or four of these locations, one easier than them all, then two middles, and one, being the largest map, and the most populated with demons, and perhaps multiple superbeasts, all out for your blood. Perhaps multiple rooms, demonic ruins, or plain ruins would be there, as well as the slaves the Demons might have, undead, our favourite goblins, and corpses of something or other that was dragged down and eviscerated.

But the real point of this, is just for the supreme challenge it would provide.

Tell me what you think.
Wiki is wrong, the Demon has no body part with the [FLIER] tag. He is borne aloft by the winds of his furious rage.

Malrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 'Hell' Biome.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 01:25:17 am »

Perhaps an expansion to the HFS? Sending an expedition further down into the eerie pit to fight demons in their own element.

Also it could be explored in adventure mode and used as an underground tunnel, except you'd have to find another fort that breached the HFS to escape.

I'd like it to be a whole other world under the surface, with it's own biomes (including magma oceans) and demon civs, and you'd start your fortress in one of the caverns in this underworld.

waldo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 02:47:38 am »

it'd be an awesome idea, the riches of taking on such a challenge would be great, like twelve veins of adamantine because your close to thirteen miles under the earth great. of course demon channels would be spread here and there and trap farms would be useless against almost all the enemies and if they want too if the fortress above gets overrun then not only will you not have extreme baddies coming from below but normal baddies coming from above, also no trade caravans.

deffinately worth the challenge!

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 09:27:02 am »

Perhaps an expansion to the HFS? Sending an expedition further down into the eerie pit to fight demons in their own element.

I like this.

Once you hit HFS in fortress mode and then after you defeat a few waves of demons, an announcement could come up "Now is our chance! Force them back into the pits!" where you get to choose about 10 dwarfs, some equipment from the stores and then it would open the new hell map with the new dwarves and a portal. You could retreat, but then demons would probably overcome your fortress. There could also be the possibility of getting reinforcements and supplies brought down from the fortress above. Once you build up strength and defeat some sort of demi-god tentacle monstrosity, the demon spawns would decrease a lot and you could mine the area for UNTOLD WEALTH.  8)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 12:34:19 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 12:21:31 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 01:27:48 pm »

That was my first thought as well.  That'd be awesome.

------------

Maybe make it so that, rather than genning a whole new map, it adds 10 or so more z-levels to the existing one, or something like that?

This is a pretty good idea, except I'd make it an init.txt option.  [TOO_DEEP:YES]

Best of both worlds.  For a challenge, you can dig down immediately and build a fort.  Or you can wait until ready.  And of course, adamantine has naturally occuring shafts down to hell.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 01:36:52 pm »

YOU have a naturally occurring shaft down to hell!

But seriously, I like that. I'm picky about my fortress locations and I can never get enough z-levels. 45 up and down seems to be the absolute limit for some reason. I welcome another 10ish, especially if they're going to be extra difficult.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Saronsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 01:46:04 pm »

Then you'd have to bump the difficulty up even more, if it's attached to your already established Fortress. I was saying of having a less than prepared force immediately start walling up and building, with no direct support from a Fortress, but that idea does sound good too.  :D
Wiki is wrong, the Demon has no body part with the [FLIER] tag. He is borne aloft by the winds of his furious rage.

Cal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 03:10:31 pm »

I love the idea! I know this isn't quite on topic, but didn't Toady say something about limiting sky z-levels so there aren't the vast amount of useless ones anymore in the next release?
Urist McMother has given birth to hectoplets.
Urist McMother has bled to death.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 05:00:00 pm »

Then you'd have to bump the difficulty up even more, if it's attached to your already established Fortress. I was saying of having a less than prepared force immediately start walling up and building, with no direct support from a Fortress, but that idea does sound good too.

It could be on a timer.  If you dig straight down, the demons are a little wimpy and get harder with time.  If you wait 50 years before breaching the shaft under the adamantium, it'd be a crazy attack with hundreds of demons.

I'd just want it to be a very simple timer, with no demons actually spawned on the map until you breach into Hell.  Otherwise it'd suck up way too many FPS.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 09:20:55 pm »

YOU have a naturally occurring shaft down to hell!

But seriously, I like that. I'm picky about my fortress locations and I can never get enough z-levels. 45 up and down seems to be the absolute limit for some reason. I welcome another 10ish, especially if they're going to be extra difficult.

I recall Toady saying that 500 z levels was going to be common for the next version.

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 10:40:41 pm »

Yes, one would be able to set the number of z-levels with worldgen parameters.
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

Cal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 10:42:18 pm »

Yes, one would be able to set the number of z-levels with worldgen parameters.
That's awesome.

I recall Toady saying that 500 z levels was going to be common for the next version.
I think my brain just exploded at the posibilities
Urist McMother has given birth to hectoplets.
Urist McMother has bled to death.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 02:20:30 am »

This sounds really, really awesome!  I'd love to dig down into a hellish landscape and try to manage a fort there.  Even better,  what if you could start within the HFS pit playing as clowns, and build up your forces near the circus peanuts until such a time that an unknowing dwarf civ mines out a hole for you to escape through?

Can we get this suggestion into the Eternal Suggestions thread?  I'd definitely vote for it.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 03:10:12 pm by KenboCalrissian »
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

CaptainNitpick

• Bay Watcher
  • [FINDS_FLAWS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 02:02:12 pm »

Tell me what you think.

I think it sounds a lot like the already-implemented underground that's going to be in the next version. Take a look at this development screenshot from April. He's since filled the underground with semi-civilized animalmen, demons, and randomly generated megabeast class Forgotten Beasts.

The underground will exist in multiple distinct layers under the whole world. Some will be full of water. Some full of magma. Some full of stuff we don't know about because Toady's being peculiarly secretive. Although he has mentioned "catastrophic HFS activity" in the development log.

This is not a bad suggestion, it just seems a bit late.
Pages: [1] 2