Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: The Old Games Nostalgia Thread  (Read 5490 times)

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Old Games Nostalgia Thread
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2010, 05:03:58 pm »

SNES:
Yoshis Island (great Jump&Rund, many innovative and fun elements, replayed it on my brothers DS recently)
Super Mario World (same here, without the DS part)

N64:
Ocarina of Time/Majoras Mask (very diversified, many extras to find, TIME TRAVEL!)
Star Fox(fun gameplay, great replayability, highscore hunting, lots of memorable quotes)
Yoshis Story (most people hated it, I liked it for its style)
Super Smash Brothers (best beat 'em up ever, spend countless hours playing this with friends)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2010, 04:09:57 am »

Oh, hey, I can TOTALLY DESTROY the environment in Rollercoaster Tycoon!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2010, 06:41:21 am »

HOLY CRAP!

I remember playing this as a kid and wondering as an older kid why Sonic 2 looked nothing like it when I was looking around to playing it again.

It was sonic with goddam time travel.

Alas, I missed out on this feeling.  I never actually owned a Genesis at all when I was a kid, but all my friends did, so I got plenty acquainted.  I was however the only owner of a Sega Game Gear (one of its five sales), and I had the entire Sonic line for it.  Sank a lot of road trip time into that as a kid.  Of course, I had an NES with Marios 1/2/3, and I learned every trick of them.  But the game I remember fondest was Iron Tank, a scrolling shooter me and dad would play white-knuckled for hours and never beat.

The very first computer games I ever had, on my 486 (or maybe it was a 386), were SimCity 2000 and X-Wing.  By God did me and dad play the Hell out of those.  I also had a Wing Commander CD, but I never got it to work on anything.  When the 3/486 crapped out, I got a new, proper computer, and my first game with it was SimCopter, the perfect extension of SimCity2000.  It was soon followed by Total Annihilation, Worms 2, Red Alert, Caesar 2, WarCraft 2, Civilization 2, and Daggerfall (I played a lot of sequels before the originals).  The first three were stolen from my cousin, the later four stolen over time from my uncle.  Well, stolen in that I would borrow them and never get around to giving them back.

I didn't get a Super Nintendo until the N64 came out, and the only games I had for it were SimCity and Link to the Past.  But I got a N64 too of course, complete with StarFox and Army Men: Sarge's Heroes (laugh if you want, it was a hilarious game).  I acquired Mario64 from my cousin again, but he managed to retain his Ocarina of Time and GoldenEye from me.  I was routinely pwned by everyone who ever played GoldenEye, yet I remember it fondly anyway.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2010, 11:49:38 am »

I was routinely pwned by everyone who ever played GoldenEye, yet I remember it fondly anyway.

Oh wow, completely forgot this one.
One of the few FPS on consoles I ever liked.

Another one was Turok 2: Seeds of Evil.
Damn hard, but I enjoyed it anyway.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 11:54:05 am by Mindmaker »

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2010, 04:49:18 pm »

Anyone remember Epic Megagames? Or Apogee? I still have a cd with some of their old games on it. I cut my teeth on 3 1/2 inch floppy games like Wacky Wheels (Mario Kart eat your heart out, Wacky Wheels shot hedgehogs at each other) and Castle of the Winds I&II(still the best roguelike ever). Heck, my dad had an old Atari that I played on, anyone ever play the original Pacman cartridge? My grandmother (God rest her soul) could beat it without even watching the screen, she still has the highest score of anyone who didn't cheat.

Anyone play the original Descent game? Maybe a little Xargon? Classics.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2010, 05:11:17 pm »

Oh man, I made some serious deathrap rides after I beat a mission, and could afford it.

So to put it, it was a vertical coaster that reached the height limit, went straight down until it hit it's Z-support-limit, and then I just continued the vert-drop after making the nudge, made it go underground, and then cut 90-degrees forward with a tight bend, and then do the same upward a tight coiling helix, then go down a smoother helix, build up much speed and then fly way up, and then finish off.

Gotta love that edit-go ignorance bug about the customers. I never seen intensity and G-force ratings so high. And  managed to get at least 50 customers riding before the first train arrives at the home station. I don't remember if I still have the screenshots of it or not.

Another oddity was making a small lake high up while there's no water elsewhere. So. Many. Ducks. I know I must still have screenshots of THAT. I hope they're not lost. They were just too friggin awesome to not keep. I recall also having screenshots of that deathtrap coaster as well.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 05:34:17 pm by Itnetlolor »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2010, 06:22:42 pm »

Interestingly enough, I was playing my first games off of a demo CD on a computer for a very limited time before starting up on the SNES as my first console game. It was only after that when people were upgrading to the N64 that my family got a NES and a Genesis. And that was when I was what, 12?

So I was not old enough to be part of the Genesis generation, as I saw little interest in the system other than a few Sonic games that came with it.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2010, 04:52:34 am »

Oh man, I made some serious deathrap rides after I beat a mission, and could afford it.

So to put it, it was a vertical coaster that reached the height limit, went straight down until it hit it's Z-support-limit, and then I just continued the vert-drop after making the nudge, made it go underground, and then cut 90-degrees forward with a tight bend, and then do the same upward a tight coiling helix, then go down a smoother helix, build up much speed and then fly way up, and then finish off.

Gotta love that edit-go ignorance bug about the customers. I never seen intensity and G-force ratings so high. And  managed to get at least 50 customers riding before the first train arrives at the home station. I don't remember if I still have the screenshots of it or not.

Another oddity was making a small lake high up while there's no water elsewhere. So. Many. Ducks. I know I must still have screenshots of THAT. I hope they're not lost. They were just too friggin awesome to not keep. I recall also having screenshots of that deathtrap coaster as well.

Man, I should really show you some of the parks I've made. They're the sort of things that would get cited in a "Humanity's Greatest Atrocities" video. What I mean by that is: my playstyle was horrifically pragmatic.

I wanted my park to be as ride dense as humanly possible, and by that, I mean I exploited unusual glitches in order to fit as many ride in as little a space as possible. For example, I'd never just create a merry-go-round. What I'd do is elevate the ground some 10~ tiles up, then build a merry-go-round fifty feet in the air with supports. Then I'd lower the ground, then build another merry-go-round directly below it, this one only 20 feet in the air, also on supports. Then I'd lower the ground some more and build another one below that one, this one at ground level. I'd connect all the entrances and exits with a haphazard array of supported roads, and so I'd have a tower of merry-go-rounds all balanced on eachother, defying all laws of physics and common sense. But it worked, and that's all I cared about.

I'd abuse the fact that most customers would go on any ride almost indefinitely if it was free, so I had all my rides free, and just cranked up the entrance free to make all my money. To guarantee an increasing inflow of customers, I'd make obscene numbers of rides, and never had any wait lines whatsoever. To make sure that my rides all had an adequate number of customers to operate sans lines, I'd minimize my path usage in order to make sure there was a high customer/path tile ratio. My park was filled to the brim with duplicate rides, but the little customers didn't care, because all their needs were met with my ultra-pragmatic design machismo. In fact, the only time I'd consider actually making a rollercoaster (I didn't like rollercoasters, they were SO space inefficient) was if they were a very small coaster with a high fun output, or if I could easiler build it underground where it wouldn't get in the way of all the other rides.

Looking at one of my parks from afar, it just looks a like a solid block of rides, all neatly compacted together. You might see some oddities, like 6 ferris wheels all placed right next to and ontop of eachother, but you can be assured that it works damnit.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2010, 05:27:37 am »

Wow. Sounds awesome. Something to truely herald the dawn to an ultra-capitalist dystopia.

I used to feel guilty if I did a single 'powered launch' up a hill and back down to the station type coaster (but I had to have one, as it was quite the cash cow). I did always have to put at least a loop in it to make it look like a real ride. And I never duplicated rides.

It never occured to me that those little people weren't particularly fickle.

Damn.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2010, 05:58:46 pm »

Not only that, but durable.

Always just as fun is replicating a similar machine, build up as much momentum, and see how far you can launch a train.

I did something similar in RCT3 with the water park expansion making one of those super-steep waterslides except, I made it fire off customers 3x the height of the ride (above ground). That was pretty funny, and outright frightening when you go into 1st person mode in that game.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 06:02:56 pm by Itnetlolor »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2010, 06:05:25 pm »

The music will never escape.

But then again, neither will this game. I place it next to Breath of Fire in terms of RPG goodness.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2010, 06:10:36 pm »

Man, I gave up on Lufia 2 so hard.  I think I got to the block flipping puzzle and decided I wasn't having any fun.  Don't know why.  Lufia 1 for that matter.

Hey, what were those two screenshots from in your first post there?  I don't recognize either of them.

I'm upset that I can't fulfill my nostalgia.  I finally found a copy of Krush Kill N' Destroy, and needless to say for a game from 1997, it won't run properly, or even install.  Ditto for my old Heavy Gear 2 copy.  Both refuse to believe the CD exists, and HG2 can't recognize DirectX, being too old.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2010, 07:21:01 pm »

"Guest ### is lost and can't find the park exit."

We've all been there. Damn, now I want to get RCT working again.

EDIT: It was as simple as enabling compatibility mode. >_< Why didn't I try that last time?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 07:24:57 pm by Walliard »
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2010, 07:26:45 pm »

The first image is from a DOS game called Magic Carpet. You are a wizard that flies through a level destroying monsters, collecting the gold orbs that fly out of their corpses and grow your castle.

The second is the first Breath of Fire game. Some of the dungeons have horrible long hallways that force you to go through at least two encounters before discovering is is just a treasure hall before going back through two encounters, but it is a very solid RPG.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2010, 07:42:53 pm »

Remember when Peter Molyneux was decent?

This and dungeon keeper.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Syndicate for the uninitiated.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5