Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: The Old Games Nostalgia Thread  (Read 5477 times)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: The Old Games Nostalgia Thread
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2010, 08:49:49 pm »

I have an outpost 2 cd somewhere I ordered from scholastic book orders back in the day XD

Also, Lemmings

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2010, 10:13:54 pm »

Anyone ever play the Quest for Glory series? I really liked QG4: Shadows of Darkness in particular.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2010, 12:44:17 am »

I get a fuzzy feeling accompanied by memories of being an eight year old playing Starfox.
I was born in the mid-nineties and I STILL thought of starfox as one of the most fun (even though difficult) games I'd ever played.

My favorite: Coming in from a big family bonfire with several friends/relatives and playing Super Mario RPG for the first time.
Legend of the 7 stars? I still play that from time to time. I beat the game more than once, which is the only time I've ever done that in a game. Did you know that after beating Smithy 25 times a secret path opens up in Seaside town that lets Bowser trade in his massive attack for even MORE massive defense? Without that item, I'd never have beaten Culex.

Good times, back before 2000.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2010, 12:53:14 am »

The one I really recall fondly is The Neverhood.

File that under "How I got this way"
YES! Awesome game. One of the last true adventure games to exist. It was just so well made.

Anything id. Commander Keen, Wolf 3D, Doom, Quake. Hell my Dad up until he had to get a new computer with Vista, still played Keen.
Undoubtedly an awesome collection. Most enjoyable on Ultra-violence difficulties; as well as Commander Keen; epic game. The first 3 are still my personal favorites of the series.

What I miss about games from the "old" days is that we, as players, never worried about reviews or opinions on games.  We just thought they looked cool and we played them and had so much fun.

I remember spending many an afternoon drooling over the games I wanted from Nintendo Power when I was a kid.

Games just aren't as fun anymore when GameSpot or IGN (or some forum douche) has to tell you it's bad or good first.

And I agree. Part of game buying that made it fun was hearing about it word-of-mouth, and seeing if you liked it or not. Sharing with people you know and such.

Unfortunately, that's the most social contact I had back then. Showing off my skill in games, knowing cheats my brothers find, and spreading the word, and trying to get invited to some gaming battles on the Genesis with some acquaintances and such.

Hell, some games I play often still (regardless reviews these days) is thanks to social word-of-mouth about them. These forums included. My goodness, I play some of these games more than the games I got on the Steam sales. Thank goodness I makes sure it doesn't go to waste.

Hell, it's one of the reasons I still play UT99 (classic Unreal Tournament). I started gaining my skills to ridiculous levels thanks to that game being introduced to me by a good friend. I mean, one time while my computer was out of commission, I managed to beat Unreal Championship in 10 hours straight thanks to the skill I built up (transition from PC to XBOX wasn't easy; and it made me mock-experience UT2k3 with console limitations; made me more a PC gamer since the initial disappointment). I mean, that would count as an old game nowadays right? Considering the level of graphics abuse in FPSs these days, you can't beat the classic feel of UT99.

Heck, the maps, mods, and mutators released for it are hard to beat. Do a search for "Angel Mapper Rachel Cordone". That woman makes some awesome maps, and a couple fun mods. Most memorable in my case. And if you can find it, the crotchshot mutator. Now kills are more fun/ny. But watch out, you're just as vulnerable as the bots are. The Dark Magic mod was also pretty freaking cool, and a decent challenge. But Oldskool Amp'd had it's share of awesomeness with Operation: Na Pali. But one of the most memorable mods has to be Unreal4Ever. So many odd weapons to use, and a good handful of awesome maps to battle in. Holy crap. I have many more to suggest it could derail this topic.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 01:04:08 am by Itnetlolor »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2010, 01:05:44 am »

Star Fox 64.

Why can't Nintendo get it right again? ARRRGGHHH! And the Wii seems like the perfect platform too.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2010, 01:53:11 am »

Culex was a pansy. One of the toughest pansy's, but still a pansy. Heck, I think I soloed him with peach. Took a LONG time though.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2010, 02:06:37 am »

Star Fox 64.

Why can't Nintendo get it right again? ARRRGGHHH! And the Wii seems like the perfect platform too.
I played that game so much... Dam you Nintendo and your sports games  >:(.
Untill recently, before stocks ran out, it rained cats and dogs in my fortress...

Arucard

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of apathy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2010, 12:42:17 pm »

I could probably mention roughly 3 dozen games, but really thinking back I remember going to a friend's house whose dad was a bit of a computer nerd (in those days most people didn't have a computer in the house). We played Rise of the Triad, and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, but what really stuck out, what I always had fun and wanted to play was Tie Fighter. Sure, he had X-wing too, but Tie Fighter was so nice! Being the bad guy and taking orders directly from Darth Vader was just satisfying. Plus he had a flight stick, so that made it much more enjoyable.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2010, 12:51:52 pm »

Man, I remember first getting a Playstation, which had a demo that came along with it. I remember playing the MGS demo for the first time, and I thought it was so hard.

That demo disc is also where I first met Crash Bandicoot.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2010, 01:03:39 pm »

Oh god, so many.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of time and Majora's mask were great landmarks for me.

Final Fantasy tactics.

TES: Morrowind.

Diablo 1 and 2.

But the most unique one among them, which I have many fond memories of, is Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber. Absolutely amazing and unique strategy-rpg, just like the original ogre battle for the snes.

I decided to play it again on an emulator after I saw this topic, got the plugins adjusted and now its running perfectly except for a few texture issues and choppy sound here and there. Too bad the company that made it (Quest) apparently was bought by Square, causing the ogre battle series to become no more then a myth. I hope it makes a comeback someday, not as a final fantasy tactics clone like its tactics series was, but as the strategy/rpg with tons of classes and multiple endings that the original was.
I'd do a Lets Play! of it but I don't think I'll have alot of time availiable soon, and if I ever do it, I wanna do it right, and finish it.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2010, 01:06:35 pm »

Age of Empires 2 would be a game that I played for a long time when I was a kid. Same with Settlers 2, and later Settlers 4. I remember how I locked up the ancient laptop it was on with a password and forgot it :) Good times.

I think I have a higher nostalgia factor with Pokemon though. Got Yellow when I was schooled, never looked back. And I'm still playing.
Pokemon might not be especially innovative these days but that means it remains a fun game. With interesting spinoffs. Also responsible for my first contact with the internet (including the bowels of it - you'd be surprised how immature the community is, for ~16 years old people), for my good grasp on the english (over several corners) and oh so much more...
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2010, 01:07:15 pm »

HOLY CRAP!

I remember playing this as a kid and wondering as an older kid why Sonic 2 looked nothing like it when I was looking around to playing it again.

It was sonic with goddam time travel.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2010, 01:18:48 pm »

Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2010, 01:43:46 pm »

Age of Empires 2 would be a game that I played for a long time when I was a kid. Same with Settlers 2, and later Settlers 4. I remember how I locked up the ancient laptop it was on with a password and forgot it :) Good times.
That reminds me, I still have some Conquerors campaigns/missions left to run through. Almost forgot, I was still on the verge of finishing the expansion pack off.

The Space Quest games always have a spot in my memories. Especially IV. Maybe it was because of this guy. Always terrified me as a kid first time I saw him.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2010, 04:43:23 pm »

Final Fantasy 7.
Best game evar.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5