Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: The Old Games Nostalgia Thread  (Read 5479 times)

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Old Games Nostalgia Thread
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 04:00:26 pm »

What I miss about games from the "old" days is that we, as players, never worried about reviews or opinions on games.  We just thought they looked cool and we played them and had so much fun.

I remember spending many an afternoon drooling over the games I wanted from Nintendo Power when I was a kid.

Games just aren't as fun anymore when GameSpot or IGN (or some forum douche) has to tell you it's bad or good first.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 04:16:21 pm »

Playing The Legend of Zelda on my big sisters NES. First game I ever beat. With assistance...I was like 5. DODONGO DISLIKES SMOKE.

And then there was Civilization 2... I probably sunk more hours into that game than any other since. I'd wake up on Saturdays and immediately start it up, in what felt like no time my mom was calling me for lunch and I was going "NO! I'M CONQUERING ALEXANDRIA!"

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 04:16:56 pm »

What I miss about games from the "old" days is that we, as players, never worried about reviews or opinions on games.  We just thought they looked cool and we played them and had so much fun.

I remember spending many an afternoon drooling over the games I wanted from Nintendo Power when I was a kid.

Games just aren't as fun anymore when GameSpot or IGN (or some forum douche) has to tell you it's bad or good first.

Here's someone that didn't buy Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest thinking "Oh cool, Final Fantasy, that MUST be an awesome game". Yeah... not my best memory  :-\

My first RPG. And damn, nothing can charm me as much as it has.

This however is. Never enjoyed another rpg like BoF.

Starflight is probably leading the non-rpg list.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 04:49:45 pm »

Also adding Simcity, simcity 2000, civ 1+2, heroes of might and magic 1+2,escape from monkey island, sam and max, day of the tentacle... best days ever.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 04:55:58 pm »

I never played BoF, but BoF II was great. Man, a lot of the games being mentioned are bringing back good memories.

And playing Oregon Trail in the computer lab at school.

That was an awesome game to blow time at recess with (we also did this in my school). I have some great memories of finding graves with names like 'butthole' and 'mrs. <teacher> sucks'.

And then there was Civilization 2

I sank a lot of time into this one, too, though probably not as much as in the original. I think I rented the SNES version just about every weekend for a year straight. I can still hear that intro music in my head as some random sheet-wearing goddess declares to you that you're supposed to take over the world (and then teaches you how to make pots and dig water ditches - wow, thanks, that'll be loads of help).

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2010, 04:56:30 pm »

Arcades:

Nemesis. This was the only game I seemed to play, and I never got past the first baddie.

Commodore 64:

Mr Robot and his Robot Factory (for the level design function ... I was amazed)
Sabre Wulf
The Designers Pencil

All probably complete shite but they had me enthralled. And I couldnt play/use them.

Amiga 500/1000:

Sensible soccer, sensible world of soccer, cannon fodder 1 & 2
Skidmarks
Supercars 1 & 2
Syndicate
Populous

ooh .... and Menace. My dad used to play that with us non-stop.

Also going round to my friends house and getting whooped on F1, 2-player. Class.

Anything else counts as recent memories for me. Had a mega drive but can't think of anything that really stands out, to this day. Maybe D&D Warriors of the Eternal Sun, you could beat a hill giant as a level 1 rogue by just standing behind a boulder and slinging him to death. Good times.

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2010, 04:59:02 pm »

Lost Vikings. :D  Oh so much fun. Sim City 2000 and my prized collection that included Sim Earth, Sim Life, and others. Oh and the NES. My dad and I used to play Mario like crazy. N64. My best friend had (and still has) one. Oh the long, long nights we spent in front of the TV screen until his mom yelled at us to go to bed. ;D
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2010, 05:16:31 pm »

i still play the settlers 2 every now and again, and it was the first PC game i ever played.

Simcity was also there, and my mates mega drive - sonic 2 and streets of rage, good times
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2010, 04:11:50 am »

Playing John Madden Football on my apple II+...cross hair passing...best iteration of that game. 
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2010, 05:14:19 am »

OOoohh, I see magic carpet got a post. That was such a clever concept. Simple design, solid replay. Very pretty for its time.

I first played that game on a friends 486DX, back before I got my very first PC in 1997 (wow, time flies). Another great game he had was Sierra's Outpost.

He also had this special electronic arts CD with a bunch of games on it. Space Hulk, Populous, Seven Cities of Gold. Most importantly though, it had Ultima Underworld and the Savage Empire, which introduced me to that series.

For me, Ultima 7 the Black Gate was it. Playing that game at age 16 was something bordering on a magic experience, something you can't ever really recapture later in life I guess. I had a P200 equivalent by that point (Athlon 586?), and I needed this special little boot disk to make the game run. This was because U7 had its own special 'Voodoo'? memory system, it also needed sound and mouse drivers on the boot disk, and a program to slow the CPU down so you wouldn't be moving at light speed. That little floppy disk was like the key to all things wonderous. I think I still have it around in a box somewhere.

I used to just play the world rather than worry much about the main quests a lot of the time. I'd have a little house somewhere to keep all my objects in, and just travel around all parts of the world collecting random objects for display and as mementos. My first play through the game took eight in-game months...

U7 the Black Gate and U7 PII the Serpent Isle can now be played on a modern PC, with a 'decent' resolution and crisp sound thanks to the folks at exult.sourceforge.net

Please note that you still need to lay your hands on a legal version of the game first.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 09:00:07 am by Yolan »
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2010, 11:13:29 am »

Populous 3 was the first RTS I got into... though I never got past the prison level.

The one I really recall fondly is The Neverhood.

File that under "How I got this way"
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2010, 11:21:50 am »

Command and Conquer for Nintendo 64.
It was my favorite game. :)

Also, my sister fixed our N64.
My friend gave me back Command and Conquer.
^_^

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2010, 05:12:47 pm »

Syndicate.

Nothin' like a little bit of large-scale corporate open warfare.

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2010, 07:52:45 pm »

Anything id. Commander Keen, Wolf 3D, Doom, Quake. Hell my Dad up until he had to get a new computer with Vista, still played Keen.

And Quest for Glory 1 and 2. Text-parser for the win.
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.

DoX

• Bay Watcher
  • No, seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2010, 08:36:11 pm »

This right here. This.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5