Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A new DF mode ending?  (Read 996 times)

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A new DF mode ending?
« on: March 29, 2007, 10:00:00 pm »

This has to deal with possible 'endings' to fort mode, as in abandonment, digging too deep, losing to a siege, etc. If this is unfinished or if my idea has been suggested, just wave me away!

From what I understand, the possible outcomes of having a fortress are pretty bleak. You either build forever, which could be considered victory, or you can abandon, lose to a siege, dig too deep and all that.

How about, after some extremely hefty prerequisites have been met, the player can opt to 'finish' the fortress? The player would surrender the fortress over to the world and end. From there any future adventurers could find this (still running!) fortress and perhaps interact with it; by trading or by attacking it or what not.

Of course this isn't something needed right away by any means but I thought I'd bring it up quick. It'd be nice to have a positive note on the fortress in Legends. I looked through the development stuff, like the bloats, but I didn't notice anything on this. Could be because I'm horrible at noticing things.

I imagine having an adventurer finding a thriving fortress would be kind of tricky to code. For simplicity's sake it could just have all of the dwarves, named, sitting around and a working trade depot. Actually having them work while the adventurer is watching sounds absurdly complicated to design.

Anyways, just a thought as I was sitting here watching my mason design an obsidian mug artifact. It menaces with spikes of obsidian, which sounds sort of painful to drink out of...

Bas Cost Budde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.heuveltop.nl
Re: A new DF mode ending?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 10:01:00 am »

I keep thinking: what exactly does the word 'menace' convey here? How can a mug threaten? I guess it's my nationality finally paying off here ...

Is there an active form of 'protruding' in it, maybe?

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 12:33:00 pm »

I second that !

Even if dwarfs are not working, it would be cool to visit a fortress full of dwarfs (they could just be sitting like those in the existing cities).

You could even build a team of adventurer to explore and eventualy raid it. Would it even be possible to reclaim it (with dwarfs from an other civilisation) : you can build your tiny fortress close to it, and try to eat the other.

This leads to the already said idea : why not building a fortress in the same map area as a goblin cave...

Yep, whithout even cooding a totally autonomous fortress, there would fun things to be done there(and from my limited knowledge of the bits and things involved in the game), not sooo difficult to implement.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 10:10:00 am »

I think that the player should be given the option to build forever. But the game should be tweaked so that the player gets more ferocious attacks the bigger his fortress becomes. More beasties attempting to steal Dwarfen riches?
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 03:25:00 pm »

This has been suggested a bunch of times, by yours truly for example. I still want to see it, though. There were concerns raised that the processing power from keeping the fortress thusly would be excessive, but if, as you suggested, the dwarves just sit around like in the pre-existing ones, that would take ample care of that little problem. We'd just have yet another site with idle dwarves in it and that happens to have the exact layout that your fortress had.

As for how a mug can "menace", I'd put it down as poetic license. There are a lot of examples when inert objects are ascribed independent actions, such as when a piece of art bridges the schism between the postmodern and the preraphaelitic or when a business plan creates positive synergistic effects through a service oriented focus on creating customer value on a case to case basis.

So in short... the mug has spikes which look menacing, and which make the mug look menacing, but that is too long to write.  :)

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.