Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Arena +  (Read 1738 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Arena +
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2010, 07:01:52 am »

Actually I would like more arena options. It would make the Adventure Mode less fun, but it would deliver more fun in shorter time.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2010, 07:29:42 am »

It will make arena like adventure mode now with instant-ness.

With adventurer skills balance would be restored.
Meh.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2010, 08:25:54 am »

Hey, just wanted to let you know I really like your idea.

(insert Captain Obvious statement about Toady having too much to do right now to work on it)

Hopefully it will be possible sometime; it sounds very interesting.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Steely Glint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2010, 12:54:14 pm »

I'd much rather see arenas added as a special type of room or zone in fortress mode. Dwarves could choose whether to attend the gladiatorial events based on their personalities, providing another way to give happy thoughts without an eternal party in a statue garden. Aside from pitting prisoners and captured creatures against each other, I'd also like to see military demonstrations or non-lethal sparring between dwarves.

There are number of additions that would make running an arena easier or more interesting. Better prisoner management would be nice, with things like automatically stripping prisoners of weapons and armor unless you explicitly state that you want them to fight armed.

Travelers visiting the fort could also have interesting interactions with an arena. I imagine most travelers would only be willing to watch arena bouts, but adventurous types might be willing to participate. Elves might be offended by lethal blood sports, especially if they involve tame animals you bought from elven merchants.

Military training might also include lethal combat against prisoners, armed or otherwise. It would be a good way to give your recruits some real combat experience in a controlled setting without too much risk.

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2010, 06:39:21 pm »

<text>
Arena mode is more of a tool for modders than an actual gameplay mode. Your suggestion is 66th on eternal suggestions.
Meh.

Randall Octagonapus

• Bay Watcher
  • We gota get some medicine for the computer machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2010, 11:08:22 pm »

Right now arena mode is where you just spawn anything with your choice of skill and equipment and thats all. There is nobody to feed or to watch the fights. Most of these suggestions are for more of an in fortress arena.
would you like a slice of one humped camel cheese or two humped camel cheese on that elf burger?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2010, 03:28:21 am »

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=48759.0

This thread in the Adventure forum has a lot of Arena mode suggestions.

Someone in the thread said it best: Arena mode is the sandbox for a sandbox game.

In theory, one could set up any group of interactions one desired: historical battles, epic conflicts between warriors and dragons, maybe later even set up whole castles that span z-levels and simulate sieges. Where Fortress Mode simulate cities, and Adventure Mode simulates epic narrative, Arena Mode could simulate that one great moment of conflict in history.

---

The biggest addition I would like to see is a copy-paste function, which saves the relative position and equipment of units in the copied area.

Put down a few elves, arrange them in formation, and then copy-paste that formation a few hundred times and get a legion of elf soldiers. Then pit them against an opposing goblin army made in the same way. Saves time and looks awesome.

The result: recreation of historical battles like Tannenberg. Or perhaps the last stand of Tholtig Cryptbrain against the elven horde.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 03:32:18 am by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Pages: 1 [2]