Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 43

Author Topic: [CONTEST] DFM3: Trailblazer - Deadline: June 13  (Read 44326 times)

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DFM3: Trailblazer - Begin Again! Map 2 Now Posted!
« Reply #555 on: June 04, 2010, 07:37:17 am »

I got the Ettin too. Not when Migrants came though. His corpse is still outside, didn't even have enough left of him to butcher.

Glad to see you're making progress.
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: June 04, 2010, 07:52:12 am »

And crashing again. This time at the very end spring.

This is getting pretty frustrating. One more try, if it crashes again then I think there is not much I can do.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: June 04, 2010, 08:00:31 am »

That's why I started saving every couple of in game weeks. Or whenever I did a whole lot of designations or changes. The crashes are still too random.
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

Ultimarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: June 04, 2010, 02:47:42 pm »

Since getting red dead redemption, I was falling behind. Starting it back up again, on mid year 5. And ettins are popular, since I just got my second ;). In other news, I killed a goblin siege easily, but three soldiers who for some reason didn't have armor died. Eh, they were useless anyway.
I discovered something new about aquifers!  On the down side, there's now a cave fish swimming around in the bedrooms.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #559 on: June 04, 2010, 05:38:04 pm »

.05 is up now.

Quote from: Toady
06/04/2010: DF 0.31.05 is up in this forum thread. If everything works out, this'll be the last forum release before we go to the main page. This one fixes the graphics crash, the squad creation crash, the melting items crash and some mayor/expedition leader problems, among other things.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: June 04, 2010, 07:38:26 pm »

Just came back from work. Upgraded to .05, finally able to use graphic settings.

Noticed that my FPS has dropped a bit, though it may just be bad luck or caused by the fact that my laptop is charging the battery. I have noticed that it may cause some drop in FPS.

Also, I think I finally know what have caused my last couple of crashes. The infamous melting bug. No any hard data, but I think the game didn't like that I ordered one furnace to smelt some iron items I have gathered. Luckily, and if that's the case, the bug is fixed in the .05

Oh, and I just noticed that due some differences in time zones, while it's already June 05, here in the forums it's still June 04. So, one more day for me to complete this fort.

EDIT: Did some minor testing with version .04. The crashes I got were most likely caused by buggy item smelting. As long as no such job was assigned the game run properly, as soon as the smelting job was going to be done the game crashed.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 09:22:48 pm by Kipi »

You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: June 05, 2010, 01:22:45 am »

We're 2 days from the deadline. I'm just firing up .05 now to see how stable it is and how many important bugfixes are in there. Looks like the mayor bug is taken care of, but not the military/medical stuff. Thankfully those affect everyone equally.

I think I too have been getting hit by the smelting bug. It seems a lot of us are getting random crashes later in the game, so I suspect it's now pretty common amongst participants since it wasn't until year 3 or 4 that I got enough armor to bother queueing up a smelting job and it took me the longest time to realize this might be causing the crashes.

I am open to extending this somewhat if .05 allows the people that were having crash issues to finish. 2 days to wrap up the last few years is pretty tight. What are people's thoughts?

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: June 05, 2010, 09:00:25 am »

I am not against giving people an extra week. I know how time consuming the final years can be and wouldn't want to exclude anyone just because they couldn't play the game due to crashes.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: June 05, 2010, 10:00:57 am »

Yeah, if extra week is possible, I'm fully for it. Heck, even couple of extra days would be enough for me.

So far I have noticed that the smelting bug is fixed. Queued some smelting jobs, no crash in .05. Did the same in .04, and crash more or less immediately. Still I wouldn't count that as reliable, could be just pure coincident.

The .05 is pretty stable, though some graphical issues. For example, when I use ESC key to leave some command list in right side of interface, the borders of the game screen gets some weird tile replies. Nothing major, the graphics always reset to normal when I use ESC key to go to menu where I can save or abandon.

By the way, anyone knows how many of us actually still competing?

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: June 05, 2010, 12:09:20 pm »

well I won't finish in two days, though a week is possible, anyways if we don't extend the date at all, then switch me to judge.
Nom nom nom

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: June 05, 2010, 02:49:25 pm »

Finally hospital gets some action. First my mechanic got some wounds from thief. After that one of my soldiers got damaged while fighting against goblin ambush. Both times the victims were able to walk to hospital and immediately got diagnosed then healed. YAY!

Improved the defense of my fortress with some cage traps and narrow passages. Seems like it's working like a charm.

Learned also that pump stacks won't transfer power coming from manual pumping. Shame, have to alter my pump stacks a bit and think a way to prevent one immortal FB to get inside my fortress from the pumping area. Hopefully some cage traps do the trick. After I get this solved I'm able to finish my shrine.

No crashes so far, which is good. It just turned autumn of fourth year.

Ultimarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: June 05, 2010, 03:14:39 pm »

Yuck. An unkillable magma man came in and started killing tons of people... the bad thing is, he's attacking the miners so I can't cave in on him... D:
I discovered something new about aquifers!  On the down side, there's now a cave fish swimming around in the bedrooms.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: June 05, 2010, 04:23:11 pm »

Yuck. An unkillable magma man came in and started killing tons of people... the bad thing is, he's attacking the miners so I can't cave in on him... D:

Axes kill magma men. They can be bifurcated.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: June 05, 2010, 05:08:41 pm »

You're not supposed to give the nasties in the magma sea access to your fort. :P

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: June 05, 2010, 07:00:35 pm »

I'm fine with extending the contest a week, if that's decided.

My new and harder college schedule starts on the 21st, so I'll be trying to get my part of the judging done before then, but a week more to finish up won't cause me any troubles.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 43