Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 43

Author Topic: [CONTEST] DFM3: Trailblazer - Deadline: June 13  (Read 44367 times)

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DFM3: Trailblazer - Begin Again! Map 2 Now Posted!
« Reply #525 on: May 28, 2010, 12:36:40 am »

Question:

Do we get some bonus points IF we are able to complete the objectives of the competition before the time limit? And with it I mean something like more than year before the time limit?

Just curious, as my projects are going at the full speed at the moment.

No, part of the challenge is to survive to the end of the time period. If you've got extra time, open up the down below...

Ultimarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: May 28, 2010, 02:12:28 am »

Question:

Do we get some bonus points IF we are able to complete the objectives of the competition before the time limit? And with it I mean something like more than year before the time limit?

Just curious, as my projects are going at the full speed at the moment.

O.O You are worried about having to MUCH time?! Do you have Speed:0 on or something? So much to do, so little time! So little time...

Also: Its year 5. I have iron equipment. I was recently informed that iron is worse than bronze, and we are building our forts in FLUX. Woah. Smiths gogogo!!
I discovered something new about aquifers!  On the down side, there's now a cave fish swimming around in the bedrooms.

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: May 28, 2010, 09:29:10 am »

Haven't looked to see if this is a bug or not, but in the Spring of Year 6 I got a series of ambushes uncovered by the deer in the area. Right after, the Elves arrived. They were attacked but my primary attack force of 10 Axedwarves beat them down like unwanted stepchildren. The Elves went to the depot, I traded with them, and then I went about my business. I get the message that they are leaving and immediately the 10-20 idlers I have standing by for various hauling jobs goes down to 0. I find that the Elves decided to leave EVERYTHING behind. EVERYTHING. I don't know whether or laugh or cry. Mostly cry because of how useless all of this junk is. Going to spend time encrusting shit and then giving it away to the humans and dwarves. I certainly have the resources for it and I might as well put the gem setters to work.

Edit1: Did several searches in the bug database and didn't see anything like this. Submitted a report. #2090
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 04:31:08 pm by Moontayle »
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

S.K. Ren

• Bay Watcher
  • I disbelieve and jump!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: May 28, 2010, 04:19:45 pm »

As Rith's hammer struck the metal, he began to think. "If I struck it this way, would not the edge become harder? And If I use this technique, would not the blade become more durable?" Blow after blow rang from Rith's Anvil through the nights and days that followed; Neither resting nor eating, each blow becoming louder and clearer than the last until the sixth day when his hammer stopped. Those nearby stopped too, for the the incessant ringing had become a part of daily life. All eyes were on Rith's workshop. Soon the figure of Rith emerged carrying a massive Steel Battle Axe. 'Storlut Kegeth', He called it, and so by 'Storlut Kegeth' it was known...

I'm so happy, of all my games this is the first time a Weaponsmith has been granted a mood. I've had a Bowyer get one before but never a Weaponsmith. Anyways, having been made out of a single steel bar, it's value is at a whopping 158400 Dwarf Bucks, lol my fortress is going to starve after the next immigrant wave.
Simon-v: How do you live in a world where Everything's Trying To Kill You?
xander_morhaime: Briefly.

Ultimarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: May 28, 2010, 07:34:06 pm »

I'm so happy, of all my games this is the first time a Weaponsmith has been granted a mood. I've had a Bowyer get one before but never a Weaponsmith. Anyways, having been made out of a single steel bar, it's value is at a whopping 158400 Dwarf Bucks, lol my fortress is going to starve after the next immigrant wave.

Nice! My military isn't doing that well...  With their new pimped out armor & weapons, they charged a giant mite FB. They had taken out two before, and the first one was taken out by a recruit with adequate in wrestling and no weapon. So, no problem right? WRONG. After finally decapitating it, lots of my soldiers had wounds from its gas, which made em dizzy, and apperently is ROTTING OFF THEIR LIMBS. Still, no problem, my doctors can easily fix it, since its only on a few bodyparts. Still lethal, but fixable. Oh wait... it needs surgery! You know, the ONE bugged, undoable type of healthcare. So... 75% of my soldiers are in bed thanks to idiotic, good for nothing, crappy doctors, and the goblins show up! Fun is to be had!

In other news, I am reaally hoping either A) The rot goes away, or B) Toady comes out with a new bugfix for surgery soon, or C) The goblins continue chillin' by the side of the map.

Edit: The blood... its everywhere... ITS EVERYWHEEEEERREE

Ill suffer through it I guess since I did tons of designations.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 11:03:04 pm by Ultimarr »
I discovered something new about aquifers!  On the down side, there's now a cave fish swimming around in the bedrooms.

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: May 29, 2010, 04:02:32 am »

"Tonight, we dine in hell!" :D
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I could theorically move in my entire fortress, but the method I used to enter it safely is a FPS-killer, so I may roll-back and forget this first mad project.
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: May 29, 2010, 05:49:55 am »

Braver than me.

Edit1: You know what the funniest part of this experience has been so far? I've had four violations of export bans by the mayor that isn't a mayor. Each time it's one guy, a blacksmith, who gets jailed. Talk about a grudge.

Edit2: Ok, had a bunch of weird crashes (and now the game crashes when it tries to clean the game objects on a save/exit) so I'm hoping I can make it through the final two years of the game without having to go back in time a bit. Things seem stable now after a winter of discontent (i.e. I had to start from the winter backup save 4 times, twice when I had gotten all the way into the final month, all due to crashes).

Got one patrol route set up for my axe dwarves and have my sword dwarves overseeing the excavation of... stuff. Currently creating a new, more military friendly upper entrance. My special machine for happiness is close to finishing as well. Oh, and the Toady project is about 80% done. Principal construction is finished, just need my green glass windows to finish and to work on the mechanical aspect of it. Up to 14 dwarves after another massive wave just arrived. I have all the requirements for being declared a Barony met but that hasn't happened yet. I liked it better when the wanker just showed up.

Oh, and map without Native Copper and phantom Mayor who likes the stuff is... :(
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 03:21:31 pm by Moontayle »
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: May 30, 2010, 12:14:25 pm »

I bring news of the Awesome variety!

Late Summer of Year 7 I received a 4th overall siege. While previously I had survived sieges, this one was unlike any other. Over a hundred invaders fell upon my fort. At their lead was the Goblin General, Osnun Suslaaslot riding a Rutherer. Things were different though. The single weapon trap that had guarded my entrance was gone, replaced by a wall effectively blocking what had been the primary entrance for a good six years. Instead, a winding pathway now existed as the only true entrance to the fort from the outside. And at each turn, a weapon trap lying in wait to administer whatever damage it could muster before the true scourge of the goblin world, the Axe and Sword Dwarves of Workeddriven. They lie in wait at the end of the horrendous gauntlet.

Osnun paid no heed though, sending in her horde of goblins and trolls, hoping that they could break through. Alas, they could not. The Troll shock troops barely made it through only to have life and limb torn asunder by a single waiting dwarf, Kosoth Giltseared the Tenacity of Loot, slayer of 13 of Osnun's hoard during previous sieges. A sudden call for a change in equipment had many scrabbling for something to wield, but not Kosoth, who had the best Battle Axe that Ber, the Mayor/Legendary Weaponsmith/Legendary Pain-in-the-ass could produce, which she used to tear into the flesh of 14 more goblins and trolls before reinforcements arrived, newly equipped.

A short while later, the siege broke and while chasing the horde through the tunnels of death, what should they see but Osnun, making a last stand atop her Rutherer who was even then passing out in pain from the bite of the weapon traps. Osnun fought savagely, but in the end the reputation of Workeddriven being a death trap for goblins proved all too true, even for her might. She fell and the goblin horde is now without a general.

The slayer?

Nomal Hairportals the Blameless Brain, Legendary Axedwarf who also holds the distinction of having slain a Forgotten Beast.

And shall we hear from the goblins again? One does not know. All that can be said is that a great victory was won here today. May Workeddriven live forever!

Edit1: Toady has been honored! It's probably not very original and it doesn't use nearly enough of the cavern system to get a very high mark but damn it, I've never done anything like this before and it... is... awesome! Still got one year left to go too. Time to expand the army a bit.

Baron appointment still isn't showing up despite having owned the requirements for it for Armok knows how long. Oh well.

Edit2: All hail Queen Toady! Thou hast arrived at the new Mountainhome! Hope you like corpses!

Edit3: In the home stretch. Only the winter season left to go. Baron option never showed up. Now up to 3 mayors though one is the outpost liaison that showed up with the Queen and makes no demands since he apparently has no likes or dislikes. That's fine since the other two make enough mandates as it is. I really wanted the best score with the noble scoring. Have the room ready for the Baron and it's satisfactory for up to the Duke level. The Hammerer rooms are set up as well. With the Queen here I was expecting the General position to open up but that has yet to happen since the previous guy is still alive. Have the rooms ready though.

Once I'm done I'll get a something over to the map archive and type up my report for the judges. Might even try and get some screen shots in Stonesense. Might be tomorrow but most likely Wednesday.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 10:30:56 pm by Moontayle »

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: June 01, 2010, 09:13:05 am »

Summer of third year going. I have to speed up if I want to run whole 8 years before the deadline. Difficult with FPS ranging from 10 to 40...  :(

Snatchers and thieves are frequenting my front door, so had to station my only squad there. The mechanical defense system is kinda useless against thieves, as it has tendency of killing my own people (like it did already). The squad is still equipped only with wooden training axes, though the steel equipment is under construction. I think I should give the axes immediately when those area ready, then breastplates and then the rest.

By the way, the smelting is kinda buggy. I have four smelters, and four smelting workshops, but only two or three are used at the same time. One is producing coke, two iron and one pig Iron & Steel. At least one furnace operator is idling, and I don't mean On Break, Partying, Drinking, Sleeping or Eating, just idling. Slowing down the steel industry a bit.

Oh, and got cancel message never seen before: "Deduk Sûbilèrith cancels Pickup Equipment: Equipment Mismatch."
Anyone knows what causes this?

The shrine is working out nicely, though I think I should appoint more miners to the project. The mining part is perhaps too big for only two miners to do, especially when they like to be On Break more often than mining...

I have one "science" project under planning, though it also needs a lot of mining to do. Another reason to have more miners.

Still no sieges or ambushes. The only offenders thus far have been couple of thieves, and those have been able to run away before any fighting has occured. Perhaps I should tap one of the caverns to get some action to my military, as without it I can't get any work to my hospital. And no, I don't support "accidents" only for getting some injuries. The wounds must be earned to be healed.

Oh, and Ultimarr, I don't supprt cheating, so no SPEED:0 hacks nor anything like it. Just some careful planning on where to do and what, and some fiddling with assigned jobs to keep the idlers minimum.  ;)

EDIT1:
Lol, looks like my soldiers agree with me that there has been not enough action around. One just begun chasing down deers, leaving his station post. Luckily the three others didn't follow him. :D

EDIT2:
Yay! One deer was chased to cage trap, two were killed by same dwarf, and one deer has been chased down by one single dwarf for month or so by now. I think I should give them steel axes now, so they can finish things of faster... ;D

EDIT3:
The lesson of the day: Never, never begin megaproject which requires a lot of mining even partially right bellow underground sea. The spam of job cancels is very irritating. Had to turn the autopause off for damp stone -messages. It ain't fun when about half of the 35*42 area designated to mining is damp stones (that's the size of my shrine... ;D)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 01:03:27 pm by Kipi »
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: June 01, 2010, 02:13:45 pm »

Late autumn of third year.

Second death in the fortress. This time one of my engravers died to magma when she was carving fortification to get the magma flow to area where I will pump it to my shrine. She almost did get out, but the wounds were to bad so she died couple of tiles away from the safety. The corpse was never collected as my masons had to seal the passage to stop the magma from pouring out. I hoped that the engraver would had been able to escape the magma, but she never did.

Also, interesting times ahead, when the engraver completed the fortification I got message saying that I had found Adamantine, couple floors down where the shrine is. I think I know the next goal for my miners...  :D

Military is working well, two kobolds has been killed by the steel axes of my soldiers thus far. Also, couple of deers and some raccoons also felt the wrath (and boredom) of my guards. The area outside my fort is already covered with blood...  :)

EDIT1:
Bah, looks like I accidentally made a path to rest of the surface by accident while building walls one floor bellow.  >:(
Well, have to make some alternative routes to the quarter of the map where my entrance is so that I can block those routes which are directly going to my fort. No worries though, I make sure that from now on every point in surface has access to my fort. Not the straightest ones, but still a path...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 02:50:21 pm by Kipi »

You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: June 01, 2010, 03:26:16 pm »

Finished!

Last three months were a flurry of activity as I sought to tie up a lot of loose ends. I'll do a more comprehensive post later showing off what I've done. In the meantime here is the final status display. (note: I have way more than the 12 listed military dwarves, those just happen to be the ones out on patrol when the year ticked over)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: June 01, 2010, 03:27:15 pm »

got to year 4, then it started a crash spree, rolled back a year, and it crashed on loading, moved the save to a new DF file and it stills crashes, starting again, though probably won't finish 8 years by the deadline.
Nom nom nom

S.K. Ren

• Bay Watcher
  • I disbelieve and jump!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: June 01, 2010, 09:41:32 pm »

So uhh, how do we get shells in this version because eating cave Lobster and Turtles doesn't do it anymore and I really don't feel like rolling back 2 years to order some from home.
Simon-v: How do you live in a world where Everything's Trying To Kill You?
xander_morhaime: Briefly.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: June 02, 2010, 03:05:41 am »

Wow, how exciting that some players are done, others near done, others struggling.  I'm itching to start looking at forts!

Good luck, kilakan.  I'm rooting for your game to get progress and be stable!

S.K Ren, you've got to fish to get shells.  You can't even order them.  When you 'clean' a turtle or a lobster, possibly a few other critters, you can get shells that way.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: June 02, 2010, 05:02:57 am »

Winter of year 3

Phase 3 of the construction of the shrine begins as soon as my magma pumps are ready. I hope everything is working as I planned, never actually tried to d what I'm doing now. So, either this is going to be epic shrine or epic falling.

Moving my whole fortress deeper as well. Mining of new bedroom area has begun with four miners. After bedrooms I'm moving my industry down, then I order my squad to guard the place where I will breach the caverns to move the farming down as well. I think all this is going to happen during year four.

Had one funny "accident" as well. When I screw up with the walls connecting areas to my fortress which I didn't want, one deer got inside my fort without notice. No bad damage done, it was just hilarious when six fully armed axedwarves and one dog hunted one deer through my fortress and finally killed it, and what would be better place for dead deer than in middle of food stockpiles?  8)

Oh, and I think I finally figured out how to properly use Refuse stockpiles to store only skulls, bones and shells. If I set the stockpile only accept body parts, nothing else gets in there, that's easy. But still the stockpile gets flooded with all those hairs, hooves and other things which are counted as body parts but have no real use. Well, in Options menu, under the Refuse submenu there is option "Dwarves Save Other". Turn that to "Dwarves Dump Other" and all the rubbish from body parts should be hauled to dumb area. They keys to do this would be 'o' -> 'r' -> 'k'. Note that I have not actually tested this fully yet as I have no dump zone designated, but I think nothing else has been hauled to my refuse designated to body parts than skulls, shells and bones. If this is true I'm gonna add it to magmawiki, though need to test it out more.

@S.K. Ren
Yeah, Imp is right, you need to fish turtles (haven't seen any lobsters fished in this map). Just turn Fishing for one dwarf, build Fishery workshop and give Fish Cleaning to one of dwarves, and you can pretty much forget them and never run out of shells again. Also, it's very good way to get some variety to your food supplies.

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 43