Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 43

Author Topic: [CONTEST] DFM3: Trailblazer - Deadline: June 13  (Read 44360 times)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: [CONTEST] DFM3: Trailblazer - Begin Again! Map 2 Now Posted!
« Reply #495 on: May 21, 2010, 10:22:21 am »

I have had 2 thieves and a snatcher but that's probably because I have not really made anything of monetary value to attract attention yet, most of what I have been working on is more under the definition of landscaping.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: May 21, 2010, 10:43:06 am »

I have had numerous ambushes on this map, so they're out there, but so far playing this version of DF I haven't seen ambushes as regularly or as aggressively as in 40d. And there's some good stuff wandering in off the map from time to time. I've had more than a few buildingdestroyer critters pay me a visit. In fact my fortress on this map currently has troll blood strewn from end to end. Helps break up the hallways that were a solid river of blood.

One of my first encounters with an ambush left a dwarf that was hauling in wood with an arrow stuck in the leg and one that ran through his upper body. He managed to drag himself down into the trap field and into the fortress before the gobbos could catch up to him (and miraculously without passing out and getting turned into sushi). I had finished building my hospital but forgot to designate it as such and he dragged himself down to the new housing block about 6 z-levels down, with a solid pooled-blood trail behind him. There was a solid ~ line heading 100+ tiles down past my trade depot, past the barracks and hospital. No sooner did he toss himself into a bed than he died. That trail has gotten smeared out to where every major traffic area was solid red.

The troll blood has thankfully blended some of that back to a brown color, just to give a little variety to the landscape. If you add water to the mix, it goes *everywhere* - walls, another 100 tiles in every direction, *everywhere*. I'm considering requesting a new task designation of 'clean', so I can explicitly tell the dwarves to clean up a given area.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #497 on: May 21, 2010, 11:10:18 am »

I would like some battles. My hospital is amazing and all set up yet no one is hurt! After I make some weapons of better quality I think that I will send my soldiers after the local wildlife.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Ultimarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: May 21, 2010, 12:07:57 pm »

Same. My first fort was (oviously) killed by an ambush in late year two, but in this one I have yet to get attacked, and I'm at late year three. Aslo that is a problem for me too, since my military has slaughtered anything they attack. Well, except for the GCS but that was one shot kills. So no training for my doctors :(.

Also.. I caught a Jabberer! Yes! I layed out some traps after some drathla (non dangerous) waltzed into my fort, and it walked into one. What shall i do with it... To bad i can't mod it so I can train it to be a war jabberer :D.

Edit: Martin, it seems the game is bugged for this version, and the dungeon master never shows up (according to the wiki & forums). So... is it possible that we can mod it to either A) have another equaly hard to get noble act as one, or B) Make most PET_EXOTIC creatures tamable with a normal trainer? Or we could suck it up and use a real military and not war beasts, but eh...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 12:55:55 pm by Ultimarr »
I discovered something new about aquifers!  On the down side, there's now a cave fish swimming around in the bedrooms.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: May 21, 2010, 09:21:28 pm »

one kobold.. and it made off with a sock of all things, year two.. carp are harrasing my guys though, guess walk-way over water entrance was a bad idea.
Nom nom nom

purplearcanist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: May 23, 2010, 07:36:40 am »

Sorry, but I am resigning from this challenge.  Goodbye. :'(

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: May 23, 2010, 01:32:03 pm »

Weird situation with my Legendary Weaponsmith (from a mood) refusing to do anything resembling work. He won't even dump stone with all the rest of the peons. Just hung around the dining room like a useless sod. Make him captain of the guard. Now he trains endlessly.
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: May 23, 2010, 01:33:11 pm »

19th Limestone, second year.

Mining out the main forge area with stockpiles. Had to do a bit improvisation when creating the passage through the cavern to ensure that nothing I don't want does get connected to my fortress and thus can not be sealed out. So, mining and construction of floors to open air in caverns had to be done to connect the first stairs to the stairs leading to forges.

First squad up and running, though have had some hard time to get them training. Six axedwarves in squad, and while in Training alert they do nothing. Captain is stuck with "Organize..." job and couple of dwarves are waiting for the training to begin. The problem seems to be in the fact that if I set 6 dwarves as minimum number to take part, only Captain + 3 are actually trying to attend to it. If I set it to 4 (which is the setting recommended for squad size of 6, leaving 2 dwarves free to eat/sleep/drink), only Captain and one other try to attend the training. So, it seems that whatever setting I use, the number of dwarves trying to take part in training is always two less than the setting, thus making the training impossible to begin.
I sort of got around this problem with setting the squad inactive, with no labors to any squad members. Now, one is doing solo training, one is organizing dodge demonstration and two are waiting the demonstration to begin. Though it seems that the three soldiers relating to dodge demonstration are gaining different military skills. So far noticed dodging, axe, fighting and observer skills rising.

So yeah, the military is buggy. Either it just plain does not work or the game gives misinformation in regards what is actually happening. So it could have been that my squad was training while in Training alert, the game just gives false information what is happening.

I will also do some testing with setting the minimum number of squad members required for task changed to 8, which would be the two dwarves over the number of squad members, the number which is always missing. Though I don't think it will change anything.

On a side note, didn't have any problems with equipment. My dwarves happily went to the storages and picked up the equipment I ordered. I have Arsenal Dwarf set.

@Moontayle:
Does your Weaponsmith follow the killing order? And does his skills raise while training?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 01:34:59 pm by Kipi »
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: May 23, 2010, 01:53:36 pm »

Yeah, he will, but he's useless otherwise.

Edit1: Was going to wait until later to post my progress but I had an Ettin show up. You know what thirty armed dwarves can do to a creature? Kill it dead. That's what. All three squads mobilized, fight was over in seconds. Two dwarves hurt. Yay Hospital!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 02:11:23 pm by Moontayle »
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

Ultimarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: May 23, 2010, 02:36:24 pm »

Gah! I am going to lose by far unless toady fixes healthcare, since half my military is in the hospital with three doctors that have been doing surgery for a season+ and still haven't finished with a single soldier. Aye its.. frustrating to say the least  >:(.

Edit: Woah. As is it required, this is the first time I have dealt with dwarven Justice. It is... nasty. A doctor with some metalsmithing skills got sentenced by the other doctor (Conspiracy?) for not fulfilling "Make Platinum Items, 3/3". Thus, the Captain of the Guard went to him while he was sleeping, and cut him in half, all murderer like. I mean.. woah! Making chains/cages as soon as possible!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 03:46:03 pm by Ultimarr »
I discovered something new about aquifers!  On the down side, there's now a cave fish swimming around in the bedrooms.

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: May 23, 2010, 02:53:58 pm »

Guess I got lucky. One of the two hurt dwarves is up and going now (broken leg) and the other is resting. Both have had everything that needs to happen to them done. Forgot to make some buckets so that was the only thing holding most things up.

Siege just showed up. We'll see how my army fares.

Edit1: About 15 goblins, loss of 2 dwarves total, both were low skill and not all that well armored so probably to be expected. Got some injuries so we'll see if the hospital continues to work as it should.

Edit2: So far up to Summer of Year 4. ~100 dwarves. Only 4 lives lost so far and all of them are from the military so I call that good luck. Hospital is working very well but I really need to get some soap going before any of these infections cause more deaths. Just need my manager to queue them up since the lye is sitting in a barrel to be used. Got 40 dwarves set up in 4 different squads. First project is underway. Well is set up. Nobles are happy. Feel I'm doing pretty good.

Edit3: Massive Siege arrived Autumn of Year 4. Beat it back. 6 casualties. :( that I can't melt any of the goblinite (since it crashes the game). Lots of hospital action going. Just finished my first run of full steel outfits for my axesquad. Close to popping the cork on the first cavern so I can get my project going, just finalizing the trap corridor.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 04:16:55 pm by Moontayle »

Ultimarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: May 24, 2010, 06:25:49 pm »

Oh god. Oh god! I have the twin mayors bug, and my captain of the guard took a spare axe from the stockpile without asking. Oh god! Oh, and one mayor likes Platinum, and the other likes nickel silver. Heeeelp! Im down to one smith with the rest spending time with my bugged out doctors..

In other news! I seperated the dwarves working on the megaproject with some burrows/food stockpiles, so they don't get caught up in this. And surprisingly its working great :D.

Edit: Ah, thanks Moontayle. Apparently I gave him woodcutting... whoops!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 12:56:29 am by Ultimarr »

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: May 24, 2010, 06:47:15 pm »

Remember that dwarves in the military, even the captain of the guard, can only equip things that you let them equip. In this case, I would go into your equipment page and make sure the Fortress Guard has no weapons assigned. Mine don't and they're training to be wrestlers.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: May 25, 2010, 10:00:19 am »

Second year ended, and things are looking good.

Smelters (four dedicated ones) are doing full time job to provide me enough steel bars to make the uniform of my first squad totally from steel. Steel axes, steel armor and so on. Speaking of military, I have finally got the squad more or less train. They only do individual training, but at least their skills are rising. So far none of them have lower than Talented in the skills of Fighting, Armor User, Axe and Dodger. When I equip them with steel armor and weapon, they are ready to defend my fortress.

My first big project is almost finished, and that is the entrance system with drowning room, drainage and bridge system to allow secondary entrance when the section of main entrance forming the drowning room seals. All of this connected to three levers operating the whole system. The only thing still missing are the actual water reservoirs, one at the same level with the entrance and flooding room, one right bellow the first one. The upper one will mostly be formed from old murky pool, which is still under draining to make it possible to enlarge it. The upper reservoir gets the water from the reservoir bellow, with pumps. The lower one is connected to the river with pumps again.

I think I'm starting with the shrine during this year. Have to do some digging for it, and my miners have hardly anything to do at this point...  :D

I have only 40 dwarves at this point, could be more to support everything. It's actually strange as my fortress wealth is over 100k, thanks to three artifacts. But I think I'm gonna be flooded with immigrants soon because I'm thinking of starting the "Gold Statue" -project, turning all the gold around to statues.

EDIT: Oh, and so far, I haven't had any need for hospital. Got couple of thieves around, but they were too scared of my dogs to actually enter the fortress. No accident, which is a bit sad as I was expecting at something to happen when tapping with magma...
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 10:07:03 am by Kipi »

You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: May 25, 2010, 01:33:03 pm »

Question:

Do we get some bonus points IF we are able to complete the objectives of the competition before the time limit? And with it I mean something like more than year before the time limit?

Just curious, as my projects are going at the full speed at the moment.

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 43