Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 43

Author Topic: [CONTEST] DFM3: Trailblazer - Deadline: June 13  (Read 44392 times)

Josiwe

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Champion
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DFM3: Trailblazer - Begin Again! Map 2 Now Posted!
« Reply #465 on: May 19, 2010, 11:32:55 am »

I'm in the same place as Kipi, end of first year, got basics running and am accumulating raw materials for year 2. I've got 14 dorfs atm with 3 in my military training axes and dodging. I think after I stockpile a few hundred logs I'm going to really ramp up wealth production to try to attract more migrants. I got some metal, leather, and meat from the traders, and my smelters have been making coke from bituminous coal non-stop for when I start making steel armor.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: May 19, 2010, 12:30:46 pm »

I'm in the same place as Kipi, end of first year, got basics running and am accumulating raw materials for year 2. I've got 14 dorfs atm with 3 in my military training axes and dodging. I think after I stockpile a few hundred logs I'm going to really ramp up wealth production to try to attract more migrants. I got some metal, leather, and meat from the traders, and my smelters have been making coke from bituminous coal non-stop for when I start making steel armor.

Lucky you, I wasn't able to buy much from traders... had almost nothing to sell them!
Main reason for this was that I rely heavily in rock crafts as trading goods, and I had the crafting going too late to produce much for trading...  :(
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: May 19, 2010, 01:45:58 pm »

Summer of Year 2 I got my 4th migrant wave and now have 45 dwarves. Oye. Magma forges up and running. Found a single deposit of magnetite where I dug out my legendary dining hall and got my first group of Axedwarves going. Two won't train but in my experience they'll come around to it. Or die. One of the waves landed me a High Master Armorsmith so yay me! I've found all three caverns and the magma sea. However, I have to hand it to Martin because this is a choice site. Whereas in the first site I had to put my forges down down down, this one is not so much.

Currently hollowing out the first of what will be two housing units. Ran low on barrels so about to start deforesting stuff. Fucking hate barrels.
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: May 19, 2010, 02:00:06 pm »

Late spring of the second year. Elven caravan just arrived...

I have had one mood already, my blacksmith got possessed. Sadly, it resulted only copper hatch which menaces with spikes of wood...  ???

Population is up to 31 now, with 19 dwarves coming in one single wave. This resulted some problems in terms of bedrooms and beds, though nothing I can't manage. When bedrooms ready, it's time to get my metal industry running, then finish my entrance and then it's down to magma.

EDIT: Oh, the embark location is indeed interesting, though sadly a bit too big to my taste (4*4, right?)... That and the river with waterfall kinda kills my FPS, I'm now running in somewhere around 70 with only 31 dwarves, whereas I can run the game in over 200 with much more dwarves. But I can live with that.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 02:02:10 pm by Kipi »

You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: May 19, 2010, 02:11:02 pm »

Hope you had better luck with your elven caravan than I did. All they had was a goat.
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: May 19, 2010, 02:35:16 pm »

Yeah, I really liked how resources were much more compactly contained on this map and I thought there were far more options for the temple here as well.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: May 19, 2010, 02:42:04 pm »

Hope you had better luck with your elven caravan than I did. All they had was a goat.

Well, before trading I had about 100 units of alcohol, after trading I had 600...
Besides alcohol I bought only three ropes and one bin of cloth and two cages (empty ones).

Oh, and regarding the pathfinding and entrance, does the opening of secondary entrance have to be automatic when primary one closes? I was thinking of just using two different levers for that purpose, one to seal the primary and other to open the secondary, both to to be set pulled at the same time.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: May 19, 2010, 02:45:23 pm »

Manual is fine - it doesn't need to be automatic. There's no way to prevent people from just locking a door, so we're all on the honor system here.

Ultimarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: May 19, 2010, 03:11:46 pm »

Uh oh. I got a bowyer who wants silk cloth for his artifact... Hopefully the elves bring some! Otherwise he is doomed...

Yay! Apparently he found some, and made a BLOWGUN (damn you!!) worth 15,000. Shortly after, a 14 migrant wave arrived

Edit:
I got a 19 size migrant wave as I said. I got a Surgeon, who I was delighted to see was high master in two medical skills. The awesome part is that he's a competent butcher/adequate liar also. I almost died laughing, and am now deciding wether to write a story about the fort just for him.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 04:43:10 pm by Ultimarr »
I discovered something new about aquifers!  On the down side, there's now a cave fish swimming around in the bedrooms.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: May 19, 2010, 03:37:50 pm »

Now you know why you embarked with silk cloth and silk thread. It wasn't for making socks.

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: May 19, 2010, 03:47:09 pm »

The Soap Maker who didn't do anything in my Axesquad decided to go all secretive. Then he went and created an artifact iron spiked ball. And became a Legendary Weaponsmith. You're off duty until further notice soldier!

Josiwe

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: May 19, 2010, 03:55:16 pm »

Speaking of which, what exactly is the deal with individual military status? I haven't really been able to lock that down. I mean in the old system you were either drafted or relieved, with heros and champions permanently non-civilian. In the new version they seem to switch back and forth a lot, and I'm not exactly clear on what conditions or situations cause a swap.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: May 19, 2010, 04:06:13 pm »

Ok, here's how that works.

You indicate which dwarves are in a squad. Let's say you fill a squad with 10 dwarves. In the schedule, you say that 7 of them should be training at any given time (it defaults higher, but you should lower it or else they won't stop training to eat or drink if a dwarf is already out for some reason). So what happens is that instead of taking jobs, 7 of them will take the training 'job' while up to 3 go off and do other things - eat, drink, sleep, haul, make crafts, harvest plants, whatever. So one way to think about it is that military training is little more than a dedicated job system for specific dwarves. None of them are permanently assigned to the military unlike before - they can be taken out of the military even when they've become legendary.

When it comes time to do *actual* military stuff, when you tell the squad to go off and kill something, all 10 dwarves will stop taking regular jobs and go and do that, with the caveat that they'll still cycle through food/drink/sleep/pickup equipment tasks.

There's nothing in the new system stopping you from assigning every single dwarf to the military and setting training at maybe 4-5 dwarves so that half of your population is free to do civilian jobs and basic care and the other half dedicated to training. Then you can use the schedule to cycle squads to do active duty military patrols and such.

Josiwe

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: May 19, 2010, 04:12:35 pm »

Oh... that's... awesome. Thanks Martin.

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: May 19, 2010, 04:27:41 pm »

End of Year 2. Housing complex is finished, now comes the burdensome effort of creating beds for these jokers. And doors. And cabinets. And chests. Lots of chests. Stuff happening and I think I know what I'm going to do in regards to my Toady tribute. First I have to get my military equipped.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 43