Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 43

Author Topic: [CONTEST] DFM3: Trailblazer - Deadline: June 13  (Read 44385 times)

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DFM3: Trailblazer - Begin Again! Map 2 Now Posted!
« Reply #450 on: May 17, 2010, 11:03:35 pm »

Resources shouldn't be an issue at all on this map, even at embark.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: May 18, 2010, 03:58:45 am »

That's true.
For instance, the food. If you have problems with it, there is one horse and four dogs to butcher, giving more than enough food to survive to the point when farms are muddied.

And the first caravan comes before you will run out of booze, so no problem in that field neither.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: May 18, 2010, 04:33:55 am »

I don't get it, you start with someone able to kill swaths of Trogs and shit and an axe. Use them. Go down to the first cavern and start there. Don't pansy about on the surface. Are you a Dwarf or not. Stupid Umans...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: May 18, 2010, 08:01:09 am »

Things still broken affecting this competition:
Surgery and traction are still out, so healthcare is difficult.
Military training is erratic as ever, especially ranged.
Multiple mayors still exist, so unmet mandates result in lower justice scores.

Josiwe

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: May 18, 2010, 01:15:02 pm »

Eh, I hesitate to breach the caverns before I have a functional military. It seems like in the new version a dwarf wearing leather armor and wielding a copper axe can very easily die to a wolf or a trog. Since the fortress must always remain pathable I'm being extra-super-careful right now. I've got 14 dorfs now and critical survival issues have been dealt with except for entrance trapping which is underway, so I can draft a few more of them into my squad.

I've got a few wild strawberries, but mostly grass. Which is fine, I can quern it to flour and cook some meals with the little bit of meat I have left, and as you said I can butcher my animals if things get desperate. I was mainly just concerned because I was getting low and there was no trivial way to get more food, but it's fine now as I got my farm up and running.

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: May 18, 2010, 01:19:05 pm »

Things still broken affecting this competition:
Surgery and traction are still out, so healthcare is difficult.
Military training is erratic as ever, especially ranged.
Multiple mayors still exist, so unmet mandates result in lower justice scores.
.04 was a few minor fixes along with the merge. Toady mentioned he would get to clearing up those issues once he ironed out the bugs from merging.

Edit: Started in on my fort and after I got my farming going I dug down until I found THE ANSWER so now I need to work on the next step. Running low on food but the first wave of migrants brought a horse with them and with the other horse that came on embark I think I'll be ok. Just hope the booze doesn't run out until after my first harvest.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 03:21:49 pm by Moontayle »
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: May 18, 2010, 05:40:13 pm »

man there's so many ponds, I just popped one of those and used that to muddie the ground for farming, only problem is that I wanted my first project to be my entrance, so it's taking awhile to get underground :D

Martin: Does the no turtling include having a trap that destroys my entrance... and the surrounding area, or is that allowed?
Nom nom nom

Ultimarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: May 18, 2010, 06:44:39 pm »

Just to confirm, I am still in, an so far the new version is awesome! After screwing around for an hour with fullscreen/windowed, I have it pretty good. Right now, I am keeping my diggings within 10 levels of the surface so no fun seas of magma/forgotten beasties make an debut.

By the way, it was masterful to start us on a island of rock, seperated from everything by the river. Perfect! Oh yea, Nice embark profile, but I almost feinted when I saw I only had one miner! Luckily, I remembered how to forge another pick with and for my useless peasant.
I discovered something new about aquifers!  On the down side, there's now a cave fish swimming around in the bedrooms.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: May 18, 2010, 07:18:51 pm »

Martin: Does the no turtling include having a trap that destroys my entrance... and the surrounding area, or is that allowed?

You'll need to have another entrance open almost immediately. I'd advise the same approach as Kipi with his drowning chamber.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: May 18, 2010, 07:25:34 pm »

If something caves in on a floor, with surrounding floors does it take out only the one it hits, or the surrounding ones too?
Nom nom nom

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: May 18, 2010, 07:29:15 pm »

Should be only the one it hits.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: May 18, 2010, 07:36:29 pm »

aah then my entrance won't be destroyed... it'll only knock an entire army of goblins into the hungry mouths of carps 3 levels below.. MUAHAHA
Nom nom nom

Ultimarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: May 19, 2010, 02:48:02 am »

Damn deer. I managed to order my ragtag bunch of misfits to kill them, but that was just a long goose chase, and nothing got hurt. Aand.. I have a whopping 120 FPS for no reason.. new version FTW! I will actually have to turn it down since a season passes in <5 mins. So fast, that I missed the caravan. Crap. Atleast we started with an anvil :).
I discovered something new about aquifers!  On the down side, there's now a cave fish swimming around in the bedrooms.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: May 19, 2010, 05:09:02 am »

Woah... I'm just gonna go and drop the FPS Cap on my game back down to under 100, 350 or so is just too much, nearly lost my farmer against a Trog due to Announcement Spam when he was chased into an unknown zone. He came away with a Red Finger. Better not set up a Hospital just yet cause he still needs to plant some shit...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: May 19, 2010, 06:14:54 am »

First year passed, and I have all the basic industries going (excluding the metal, not enough dwarves to support it yet). 12 dwarves thus far.

Next year will be dedicated to improve the basics of the fort, like defense, hospital, military and get the metal industry running. Then, it's digging doooooooown...  :D

Last four years will be dedicated to the shrine for Toady, haven't yet any good plans for it.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 43