Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 43

Author Topic: [CONTEST] DFM3: Trailblazer - Deadline: June 13  (Read 44411 times)

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
Re: [CONTEST] DFM3: Trailblazer - Begin!
« Reply #390 on: April 20, 2010, 08:02:18 pm »

Funny that you ask...

Ready to try that new embark  :-[
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: April 20, 2010, 08:40:27 pm »

Ok. I'm going to do a regen and will upload it when the merge drops.

It seems there are going to be more problems with undead as we go along. Right now I have 2 zombie horses in the river. They don't drown because, well, they're zombies, I can't kill them with bolts and they scare off the traders (now trapped in the ne corner of the west bank of the river). My only recourse is to dam the river but there's another zombie horse down that way, so I think the only real way to get rid of them is to pump up magma and drop that on them.

That's a bit extreme, and I think it's just a matter of time before a number of players end up in my situation, so I'll be finding us a new map with no undead.

So, I'll start working on a site tonight, find something reasonable, and as soon as the merge drops, I'll upload. Same goals, same rules.

That's how it's going. Basically, anyone who wants to continue on this embark can, but when the merge drops a new embark will be posted and everyone will get the benefit of a chance to start over. I'm ambivalent at this point. The zombie problem is largely solved in my estimation but one of the best parts of capturing your enemies and building an arena for your champions to fight against them is ruined by the constant miasma they give off while underground. While caged even. I'll probably start anew with the merge, especially if Martin graced us with a living elf civilization and a map with the ability to produce steel. I loves me a steel industry. Best you can hope for here is Bronze.
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: April 20, 2010, 09:32:18 pm »

I've been playing the new embark to see if there were any unforseen problems, and I think people will like it a lot. Elves are here (fewer are living than when I embarked) and there are more geographic/geologic options than the first site. In my first 5 attempts (I have a particularly ambitious fortress design) in 3 I had at least 2 dwarves dead within a month and in the remaining 2 I had the fortress wiped out before the first caravan (I'm chalking that up to bad luck <cough>) and I can confirm that goblinite is available in abundance. No forgotten beasts yet, however, but I'm only in year 2.

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: April 20, 2010, 09:47:41 pm »

Dwarf tease...
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

barconis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: April 20, 2010, 10:38:52 pm »

I may or may not finish with the first embark before the second one drops. I've been trying to shed stone and assorted trash like mad, but my FPS keeps dropping. At 7 now, in the middle of year 6 (it was at 13 before I started dumping things into the magma). It might go faster if this stupid zombie gorlak would just give it up instead of trying to lumber along on it's limb stumps, or if the dwarves would clean up some of the layers of blood spatter.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: April 22, 2010, 01:28:06 am »

Man, these are emo dwarves. Two of their friends get cut in half by gobbos and they go off and tantrum. I swear it was easier to keep them happy in 40d - some legendary meals was often all it took.

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: April 22, 2010, 07:00:34 am »

Well, the little things add up. Hungry, Starving, Exhausted, sleeping on the ground, bothered by flies... By themselves they are relatively harmless but combined they are a bad thing.

Toady needs to hurry with the merge. I can keep going on this one but I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop and for my guys to run into yet another unkillable creature.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: April 22, 2010, 07:13:02 am »

My military just got demolished by 5 MarksGoblins.

To much blood....
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: April 26, 2010, 03:13:56 pm »

Soooo, how's everyones' fort(s) going?  Being that the end of the month draws nigh, and considering all the challenges of the various versions and changes/challenges/bugs, do any of the contestants think they might want their efforts judged at the end of this month?  (And you'll still hopefully compete in the redo, if we do redo once the merge/additional bugfixes are released).

If you happen to be looking at your fort and thinking 'ewwwwwww'; just remember this.  Everyone faced the same situations that made their attempts probably look just as messy.  The scoring system looks pretty close to 'graded on the curve', as far as 'winner' goes... your fort might achieve a 3 or a 2 on a score category - and you still might be the contestant with the highest score.  Got some real challenges here, we do!  ;D

Am just wondering, so I can plan ahead for about how much time to set aside for admiring forts!
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: April 26, 2010, 06:21:57 pm »

Once Martin decided on doing a regen and starting the contest anew once the merge came out (soon, I hope) I put the fort on the backburner since I had several things I needed to do which were probably more important (but not nearly as fun). Now I'm just waiting like most everyone else. I'm confident my fort would have done well but the site itself was sort of counterproductive in the end.

barconis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: April 26, 2010, 07:30:06 pm »

I'm down between 4 and 5 FPS, early in year 7. (I think it's the blood spatter that's doing it, that stuff gets on everything. It's like an OCD nightmare come true.) Realistically, I don't think I'm going to be able to grind the last two years out this week given my schedule. But if I finish, sure, y'all can point and laugh.  :P

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: April 26, 2010, 10:09:22 pm »

Since Toady has mentioned he's working on the merge now, I think the new map will drop soon. We'll set a new deadline once it does, but it'll be 3 weeks after.

I'm in year 4 with a FPS of 35 and 80 dwarves, that's with running water which is pretty darn good relative to 40d. Yeah, the profuse blood is, well, interesting. If you really want to see it get out of hand, have your dwarves walk through a waterfall - they'll track blood everywhere.

The map is quite good. Y'all will bitch about the fact that I included an odd number of seeds, or I didn't include a bar of electrum, because HOW IN GOD'S NAME CAN ANYONE GET A PROPER START WITHOUT A BAR OF ELECTRUM!!! but I think you'll get over it.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: April 26, 2010, 10:15:13 pm »

I didn't include a bar of electrum

YOU'LL DOOM US ALL! EVEN THE JUDGES! DO YOU REALIZE WHAT YOU'VE DONE?!
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: April 26, 2010, 11:16:51 pm »

Huh???
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 43