Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 43

Author Topic: [CONTEST] DFM3: Trailblazer - Deadline: June 13  (Read 44414 times)

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DFM3: Trailblazer - Begin!
« Reply #360 on: April 12, 2010, 09:26:05 pm »

I continue to play 31.01. I will prevail, god dammit. And I still think I can take out HFS and then claim all the addy as well as some sexy engraved-on-slade bedrooms for myself.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: April 12, 2010, 09:59:04 pm »

I checked in arena mode in .03 and looks like skeletal stuff are much more killable now, so edged weapons as usual are the best against undead. Probably works against other previously 'unkillable' stuff.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: April 13, 2010, 04:19:22 am »

*Cheers everyone on*

I'm for F/fun, and am content any which way Martin decides to go with this.

If you've been working along with 31.01 and having a blast with the challenge, charge on.  I say even if we change to a new embark and begin again, I'll still happily admire and score your map when the time comes, and I hope you work on the 'new form' the contest takes too, if we go that way, so you can also have a map in competition with most everyone else too.

If your .01 attempt melted or shattered, we still have a game going either way.  If you currently have a traumatic stress syndrome from watching your dwarves starve while forever-fighting unkillable undeads, then I point you towards the 'cancel kill order' in the military screen (It's always made my dwarves scatter from a fight to this point) and a counsellor so you can be fit for your next chance to continue the contest, on this map or a new one if that's done.  :P
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: April 13, 2010, 08:23:44 am »

Later on today I'll push my save into the 31.03 download and see if it indeed solved all our woes. If it did then I have no problem moving forward. I had planned on it anyways just to keep myself busy but being able to finish the contest on this map would be nice.

However...

I think in the interest of our Linux and Mac brethren it might be best to go forward with a regen anyways once the merge comes out. We're on day 13 of the new release and who knows how much longer Toady is going to take on this.

Another solution is to simply split the contest. If everything works right now, simply use this embark as the one for Windows users and the deadline of May 1 and a new one specifically for the Mac/Linux people with a 30 day deadline for them from the date of the uploaded save.
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: April 13, 2010, 08:54:38 am »

Just gonna go ahead and spoiler this entire post.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: April 13, 2010, 12:27:33 pm »

hahah was that one the new version?  or the old?
Nom nom nom

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: April 13, 2010, 01:14:40 pm »

Still on 31.01.

Oh, and found another bug - if you are below hidden semi-molten rock, you can dig up into it from below and you'll end up with a random material staircase (ie. up/down staircase) surrounded by semi-molten rock, and no leftover rock of whatever material type. I managed to create a mysterious marble 'shortcut' into the bottom of an adamantine vein, though I came close to accidentally digging into the bottom of the magma sea.

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: April 13, 2010, 03:54:34 pm »

Bleargh. Got to work, downloaded 31.03, moved the save over, start game up... crash. Start up again... crash. Start up 31.01 version, I get a couple of days in and then... crash. Guess I get to start over. Whee!

Edit: Two seasons in and doing better this time around even though I didn't crash and burn until Year 4 with my first attempt. First Migrant Wave in the summer gave me 7 dwarves whereas the first time around I only got 3. Already have my permanent farming area mined out, just need to wait for the water to evaporate. Food might be a small problem but I've got a Fisherdwarf so I just need to build a temp Fishery to get some meat going.

Anyhoo, might end up being ahead of schedule as long as this save doesn't crash and burn. Turned on backups so I don't lose everything again. Whee!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 06:49:15 pm by Moontayle »
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: April 14, 2010, 01:13:19 pm »

I've decided to quit this and just go at my own pace. Will be interesting to see the forts though.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #369 on: April 14, 2010, 06:46:40 pm »

Are we re-genning?  I wouldn't terribly mind an undeadless map even if most of them are killable now.  Go crazy with savagery and all that, but undead are just annoying.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Brisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: April 14, 2010, 07:53:51 pm »

REDACTED: I was unable to reproduce bug.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 09:29:32 pm by Brisk »

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: April 15, 2010, 07:29:03 am »

I think the Regen might come with the merge release so that everyone can participate. Gonna keep plugging away on this one though.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: April 16, 2010, 08:11:14 pm »

Ok. I'm going to do a regen and will upload it when the merge drops.

It seems there are going to be more problems with undead as we go along. Right now I have 2 zombie horses in the river. They don't drown because, well, they're zombies, I can't kill them with bolts and they scare off the traders (now trapped in the ne corner of the west bank of the river). My only recourse is to dam the river but there's another zombie horse down that way, so I think the only real way to get rid of them is to pump up magma and drop that on them.

That's a bit extreme, and I think it's just a matter of time before a number of players end up in my situation, so I'll be finding us a new map with no undead.

So, I'll start working on a site tonight, find something reasonable, and as soon as the merge drops, I'll upload. Same goals, same rules.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #373 on: April 16, 2010, 09:36:27 pm »

Alright, good to know.

What you might do is simply have two maps to choose from - the original and the new one.  That way people who have been working hard on their forts on this map won't have to give them up (probably the worst issue with genning a new site).

Then again, I don't think I heard anyone complaining about losing progress (procrastinators :P), so if no one cares we could just switch to the new one.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 09:38:06 pm by bmaczero »
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: April 16, 2010, 09:59:40 pm »

If your taking suggestions, can we get something with a river than roughly divides the map in half?
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 43