Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 43

Author Topic: [CONTEST] DFM3: Trailblazer - Deadline: June 13  (Read 44432 times)

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
Re: [CONTEST] DFM3: Trailblazer - Begin!
« Reply #330 on: April 11, 2010, 11:46:15 am »

Argh!  Guess where the civies decided to suddenly become OCD about cleaning up blood?  Right in the middle of the battle between a mob of crundles and 10 hastily drafted wrestlers, of course!

EDIT
Zombie Troglodyte
<<Copper Pick>> - Stuck in head

*sigh*
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 12:08:39 pm by bmaczero »
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 11, 2010, 01:01:03 pm »

This is why I took my time digging down. By the time I cracked the second cavern open I had a pretty decent squad of axedwarves to fend off most major problems. I've also run into few zombies with enough intelligence to make their way to my central staircase. I think only three have gotten into my fort. Every other battle (including the one with the flying heads) was self initiated.
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 11, 2010, 02:26:11 pm »

Ah, happiness is having the caravan with all the leather you requested arrive just as your leatherworker goes fey...

I'm not in year 2 of start #3. I have a *much* improved military/defense setup, and they handily stormed over the first gobbo ambush just as the bowgobbos turned the corner into the fortress entrance. My god, there's blood getting tracked everywhere.

No sooner did the axedwarves dispatch the gobbos then I got a thief warning, unpaused and got another, then another, then another, then another. 5 thief/snatchers in instant succession all grouped at the fortress entrance. 2 kobolds, 3 gobbos and one was a master thief. Their timing could not be worse as the axedwarves were just then walking back to the fortress. The entire entrance is now red. The central fortress staircase is red. The OCD players are going to go nuts as I don't think there's a setting to turn this off.  :D

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 11, 2010, 02:49:53 pm »

Ran into another "unkillable" which I think is a bug. Zombie Elk Birds. Two found their way to my staircase and they were promptly dispatched. Four remained so I went on a hunt and took them all down... except the last one. Despite not having a lower body to speak of (both legs, feet are greyed out), it won't die. I think in order for a zombie something to die a "body part", i.e. Head, Upper Body, or Lower Body, has to be separated from the overall body. This is why people are having a rough time with single body monsters like my flying heads. Anyhoo, the thing is out of the way so it won't be a bother.

Autumn of Year 4, almost halfway through. Began work on a major construction that should be pretty cool when it's all said and done. I think I have an idea on what to do for the first objective, I just need to have the manpower to pull it off. It seems all my migrants show up the spring after the dwarven caravan arrives. I think the next one will be the most yet since I've boosted my overall wealth to over 1 million. The last time migrants came around I only had 400k.
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 11, 2010, 11:27:30 pm »

According to the bugtracker, the pathfinding bug is fixed in the next version.

S.K. Ren

• Bay Watcher
  • I disbelieve and jump!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: April 11, 2010, 11:44:33 pm »

I think I've discovered a serious problem. I decided to restart with 31.02 and found that my Wood Furnace rarely get built and never gets used despite standing orders and selected labors. It worked perfectly fine in 31.01. If this is a problem for the rest of the updates, then we're going to need a new world for each one.
Simon-v: How do you live in a world where Everything's Trying To Kill You?
xander_morhaime: Briefly.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 11, 2010, 11:51:45 pm »

Wood furnace works fine for me in .02. Cranked out almost 1000 pieces of charcoal too. Constructing pretty much anything screws up pathing, which might be the problem. I've found that if I use masons, using a lot of them (>5) causes enough new constructions to reset the pathing that the bug largely goes away.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 12, 2010, 08:59:05 am »

According to the bugtracker, the pathfinding bug is fixed in the next version.

And if I read and understood the news feed correctly, next version could be the merge version...  :D
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: April 12, 2010, 09:18:53 am »

I think I've discovered a serious problem. I decided to restart with 31.02 and found that my Wood Furnace rarely get built and never gets used despite standing orders and selected labors. It worked perfectly fine in 31.01. If this is a problem for the rest of the updates, then we're going to need a new world for each one.

+1 to Martin's theory. Sounds like it matches with all anectodal evidence I've seen, as well as that which was deduced by my clearly superior to everything else organic-computing-based logic algorithms.

Actually, now that I think about it, many of the issues that were preventing me from satisfactory playing 31.01-02 can be attributed to the pathfinding bug... Squads not equipping weapons, stuff not being dug, and so on.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 12, 2010, 10:06:59 am »

I ran into a crash bug that I have no idea what in the world is causing it. Autumn just started and it happens less than a minute into a start. Almost four years in and I might have to restart. Ugh.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 12, 2010, 10:17:31 am »

I had one like that, I rolled back on season and it proceeded fine. Try that first.

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 12, 2010, 10:49:46 am »

Not possible since I didn't turn backup saves on. I work the next three days and I should be able to get some production going today when the kids are taking their nap. I guess since I already know where most everything is I can easily get things better set up in the beginning, maybe even bypass the top level farm and go straight to the permanent spot I had set up before. I'm just glad I had only just started on the projects I had planned so the only real progress I'll lose is the state of my military.

I'm going to try a few things first to make sure it's an unrecoverable save before starting over but I think that's what I'm looking at here.

EDIT: Take this suggestion with a grain of salt but I highly recommend scrapping this embark and starting the contest over once the merge comes out but with a shortened time frame for the windows users. There's enough issues with undead (my flying heads, this one elk bird that won't die) that having them being the primary enemy is counterproductive to the intent of the contest, which is to judge how well players adapt to the new features and how they can improve the overall DF experience. I understand you wanted the additional challenge there but that line of thinking, to me, stems from 40d where you sort of needed that extra layer of dangerousness because standard creatures just didn't cut it. However, after experiencing the primary aspect of the underground cavern, in that creatures constantly spawn off the edge, I don't feel the undead aspect is needed because there's more than enough challenge without adding in the constant threat of an unkillable monster. There's also enough of those to go around without zombifying everything.

Again, completely up to you since you're the administrator of this contest, but that is my suggestion.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 11:02:09 am by Moontayle »

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: April 12, 2010, 12:30:46 pm »

Well, let's see what others think. If the zombie problems aren't addressed by the merge, I think I'm inclined to regen the site with no evil critters (it seems that toady is focusing primarily on crashes and easy raw fixes, and less on gameplay issues, so the zombie fix might be a ways off). If they are addressed, we press on.

I'm most interested in what the guys that have already invested time in this site have to say. I don't at all mind genning a new site.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 12, 2010, 12:51:43 pm »

I too think that regen would be good idea if the undead "feature" is not fixed in next release. I understand the point of the idea behind the evil site, but it's not about skills of adaption anymore, it's more like pure luck when and if you get attacked by unkillable undead. And as the caverns already contain lots of interesting challenges in terms of military, I think undead creatures aren't necessary.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: April 12, 2010, 01:06:34 pm »

Just remembered that I have a save at work that's only two seasons behind so I can revert back to that. My stance on a regen still remains though. I just think the zombie things adds a level of impossibility that goes beyond the purpose of this challenge. I mean, hell, that zombie elk bird I mentioned has all 10 of my axesquad's war dogs on it, yet won't die. That's beyond ridiculous.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 43