Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 43

Author Topic: [CONTEST] DFM3: Trailblazer - Deadline: June 13  (Read 44416 times)

S.K. Ren

• Bay Watcher
  • I disbelieve and jump!!!
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DFM3: Trailblazer - Begin!
« Reply #240 on: April 06, 2010, 02:22:20 pm »

Auggh, I finally lost my first dwarf today. He went into a mood and needed SHELLS!! And thanks to a bug where eating raw cave lobster does not drop a shell, he went into melancholy during the summer of 1053. Oh well, I guess I can do without another useless artifact. I have 3 already.
Simon-v: How do you live in a world where Everything's Trying To Kill You?
xander_morhaime: Briefly.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 06, 2010, 02:41:57 pm »

Well Let me tell you how my First Autumn has been...
As soon as we started we dug a spiral ramp all the way down into the Roof of the first Cavern, There on that Level we built our First Outpost...

Its a Large Courtyard with a Dinninghall branching off to the south, foodstores built above it. To the East is our Bedrooms and Barracks, we are limiting ourselves to Undergroud Wood (only the three Wood that formed the Wagon was used to make charcoal do make 2 spare picks to dig faster, other then that the Uboveground remains untouched), so until we secure the first Cavern full its a picking at what we can get safely for Cages and Beds, and we have 4 Dwarfs training at Wrestling to develop there Striking and Fighting Skills. Will be giving them Training axes next Mushroomwood Harvest.

After some care for fear of a CGS (or Worse ZCGS or the like) we built ladders and Bridges so we could setfoot in a safe place. Luckly (Or unlucky when it comes to Gameplay) we found no CGS to contend with and have begun Mushroomwood harvest and Crop Growth.

Antpeople were spotted to the NorthWest, a small tribe where Giant Rats and their Zombie Brethren hassle their gathered goods by making off with it at the Map Edge that the cavern creates. I fear that we might actually get Migrants and Seiges from this entrances to the map (I HOPE SO)...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 02:58:21 pm by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 06, 2010, 03:57:58 pm »

Can I be a judge? I assume we have to download the maps and have a poke about. Sounds like fun :D
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 06, 2010, 05:16:10 pm »

Autumn of year two. Didn't get any new migrants in the Summer but I expect a lot the next batch since I had a gem cutter get possessed and break out a perfect emerald. 96000* in value, pretty much quadrupled my fort wealth. I have a full squad of axe dwarfs training and most are up to at least competent. A good thing since I think ambushes are likely to happen now. Probably need to requisition the creation of some actual axes though. First full time barracks is dug out, just need to outfit it with beds and armor/weapon stands. Running low on booze so I'm going to have to make someone else a brewer besides my farming guy.

Edit: I want to add that I miss the elves as trading partners after hearing how they bring animals more often. Just had the humans they were the usual so-so items of trade value.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 06:45:33 pm by Moontayle »
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #244 on: April 06, 2010, 09:06:43 pm »

I can only be thankful for the game crash I had today. My farming area is being muddied with water pumped from the stream but because of how fast water gets pumped it did not all go down the hole and washed the pumper into the stream...
he drowned...
the game crashes from me trying to order someone to kill the !^$*&%$@ zombie groundhogs that keep interrupting my work. just one of those crash that's already reported that accidentally turned out useful.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 07, 2010, 01:16:11 am »

Sorry, Martin, but due to RL circumstances I doubt I'm going to be able to continue on with the contest. So I'll have to pull out.

My most sincere apologies. That said, I'm sure you'll have more than enough other contestants play through the eight years.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 07, 2010, 02:10:15 am »

Well this is interesting, I just broke into the second Cavern another 10 or so levels down, this one seems to be an Underground Sea, for there is more water then I can see. I have been plagued by some Zombie Torgs. My Military is ill equipped to hand them by ANY means so the cage traps will have to suffice for a while...

Everyone is attached to a Borrow which is the whole Outpost so there should be no deaths...

A cat though stumbled on a Kobold trying to sneak in, the thing stabbed his dagger into the creatures leg but both survived...
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 07, 2010, 11:34:41 am »

Hrm, how much longer do we have? Two weeks maybe?

Depending on when some of the major bugs get fixed, I may drop out, but not sure. I also haven't dealt with zombies before, but I've heard of ways to deal with them in 40D, which should still hold true for DF31.

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 07, 2010, 12:50:06 pm »

The contest runs until May 1st.
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 07, 2010, 03:38:47 pm »

I thought it was three weeks, but ah well, sounds like plenty of time. Toady should be coming out with an update soon.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 07, 2010, 04:34:44 pm »

Switch me over to judge, please.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 07, 2010, 06:57:46 pm »

I just had a wierd experience, I had a person who I set to military, and told him to grab a melee weapon of choice, and he bolted into the underground, and returned with a steel battle axe..... All I've had or made is copper/silver... guess I know who my next captain is :D  Also just got my first artifact, 6000 copper armor stand, perfect just made a barracks :D
Nom nom nom

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 07, 2010, 07:46:04 pm »

Nifty. My Armorsmith just cranked out an artifact copper mail shirt. It will be worn by my militia commander who trained himself up to Legendary Axedwarf. Almost a waste of a Fey Mood since the guy was already a High Master but I'll take a greater chance at Masterwork Armor any day of the week.

Two seasons and no new migrants. Just finished trading with the dwarves so hopefully that'll bring in some new blood.

My solution to the zombie problem: War Dogs. Seriously. I've killed 3 buzzards and a groundhog simply because a War Dog latched on and then ripped off a head or a lower body or something. Currently I have six war dogs assigned to six different dwarves in my squad of axedwarves and will get that total up to ten.

Currently in the process of clearing stone out of my first big project: The permanent underground farming area.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 07, 2010, 08:22:30 pm »

Just finished trading with the dwarves so hopefully that'll bring in some new blood.

Do you mean "new blood" as in migrants or "new blood" as in three dozen barrels of the stuff next caravan?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 07, 2010, 10:48:21 pm »

I find that a simple Battle Axe takes care of the Zombie Torgs that slowly move towards my Camp in the first Cavern...
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 43