Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 43

Author Topic: [CONTEST] DFM3: Trailblazer - Deadline: June 13  (Read 44413 times)

tbino

• Bay Watcher
  • For when praying to armok isn't enough
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DFM3: Trailblazer - Begin!
« Reply #210 on: April 04, 2010, 01:28:04 pm »

Actually change me to judge.

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 04, 2010, 01:52:55 pm »

First year in the books and I'm nowhere near where I thought I would be at this point. Because of a few crashes and general slowness of this computer I'm not able to accomplish things with the speed I usually am capable of. I take this as a good thing though because it has allowed me to hone my focus and work things out a bit. I'm already drawing up plans on how to take over the cavern I found.

First migrant wave of second year was 21 people so now I can really get things into motion. Some of them are fairly useless (nowhere close to needing a thresher, let alone a high master thresher) but I received a few useful ones including a High Master Armorsmith. No iron ore yet but lots of copper ore so that's what I'll start with.

Odd occurance on this migrant wave: I got 15 baby animals with it. Unattached so they got plugged into a cage. I figure this is the start of my meat industry once the females grow up. That is, assuming the refuse not rotting away bug gets fixed soonish.
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

barconis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 04, 2010, 02:23:20 pm »

Most of my way through the first year. The dwarven caravan bodyguards tangled with zombie horses on the way out, killing one but staying tangled up with the other two for quite some time. This has caused a problem, as the merchants themselves, and thier animals, have now gone stark raving mad. Well, mostly stark raving mad... the donkey went berserk and is now killing the rest of the merchants. The contents of the caravan aren't forbidden, so my dwarves are happy to pick up the loot. Hopefully a war dog or two will fix the donkey problem.

It's a little more troublesome because there's no longer a way to keep all dwarves from going outside, without assigning all dwarves to one burrow or another. I suppose I can put a burrow on every level and assign all dwarves to all burrows, which would at least keep them inside...

Plus there are
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
, which could cause some trouble inside the fort.

[EDIT] ...and did. Crumbled to its end in the first year. I'll give it a few days before I restart, I think.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 04:52:15 pm by barconis »

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 04, 2010, 04:52:55 pm »

are there any graphical mods compatible for the ver now? if yes could anybody kindly post them? i dont like to play with the original one

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 04, 2010, 06:27:26 pm »

are forgotten beasts immune to traps?
Nom nom nom

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 04, 2010, 06:29:50 pm »

Thats up to you to find out.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 04, 2010, 06:53:58 pm »

just wondering cause one ran over 10 cage traps, and on the last one finnally decided to get caught... or maybe knocked out, not sure.
Nom nom nom

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 04, 2010, 07:03:43 pm »

Hum. Note to self: Zombies can't be killed through wrestling alone. Crundles don't hurt dwarves much. Dwarves tend to get tired after a lot of pointless fighting.

Cue rollback.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 04, 2010, 07:18:52 pm »

So. How is everyone actually doing?
I am getting everything working through Saving and Reloading. And stuff like that but there are a few annoying things that keep kicking me in the nuts...

Some how I don't think I will be done in the IN GAME Time frame, 8yrs don't feel like enough with all the new systems. In the last one, you could spend your first year training your dwarfs, the first half of the second year Equipping your dwarfs, and the rest of the game free of any deaths limited only by lucky shots. I don't think I will be even ready to step into the cavern for a while still, but will be trying when I get some good warriors...

Or am I just not Master enough to do it...

on a side note/question...
Has anyone noticed that Flasks don't get taken to the stockpile, and even when a squad is told to use them, they don't. I have like 9 sitting outside since I removed the Leatherworks that made them...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 04, 2010, 08:39:39 pm »

Stocks screen zooming shows a bunch of prepared + forbidden foodstuffs stuff way deep underground. Presumably that's where the cavern is, and I'm going to have to assume there's a tribe of antmen killing and preparing food as I've seen new stuff appear over time.

Meanwhile ARGH PATHFINDING. Almost done year one though.

ed- Finally deciphered the new military system! >:D Now to put it to use.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 12:25:19 am by Retro »

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 05, 2010, 07:27:34 am »

on a side note/question...
Has anyone noticed that Flasks don't get taken to the stockpile, and even when a squad is told to use them, they don't. I have like 9 sitting outside since I removed the Leatherworks that made them...
Those are probably waterflasks. Key word being water. You need to forge some metal flasks for the dwarves to carry booze with them.

As to how I'm doing. Just hit summer of year 2 and I've queued up 150 make charcoal jobs along with 90 smelt tetrahydrite jobs so I can have the copper necessary to make full suits of copper armor. I've not hit any iron ore deposits so this is it. Filled out my first squad of 10 dwarves and finally mapped out a placed to set their barracks (they've been training in a corner of the common area). Only issue I have so far is there is one dwarf in the squad, and only one mind you, that refuses to train at all. I had 9 guys individually training and one guy sitting with no job. He's fully equipped with the items I set for him, he just doesn't do anything.

About to replace all my stone fall traps with cage traps. Stone fall is useless unless Toady makes them do more than bruise whoever passes through them.
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 05, 2010, 08:14:32 am »

Waterskins have been changed so that they hold booze now too and has had a string pref change to be called Flasks...

I have 3/4 of my current Warriors equipped with them, one has it equipped to the Leather armour she wears while the other two store them in?? the backpacks. The Forth just won't equip either and is now stuck on Waiting for Training lesson from a teacher that won't stop practicing forms...

Though on the other hand, I have a Legendary Fighter before winter as he and his partner have been SPARRING!!!! since mid autumn...

Also noticed that you should never make them replace clothing in the military window when you are adding FRESH migrants to a squad. They dump everything they are wearing and walk to the Fort Naked. No uncommon in DF but everything they wore before is still marked as theirs and it won't register that they can wear clothing again. Maybe if I remove them from the squad...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 05, 2010, 10:12:18 am »

I'm not sure if I'll do this since it seems rather buggy right now. May wait a few days until there is a patch for some of the bigger bugs, or maybe if Mayday's graphics works okay in fort mode.

Arena mode is fun though :)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 05, 2010, 12:32:51 pm »

ya the construction and pathing bugs are killing me, especially the un-killable undead, with military who won't equip.  Though  I am trying to work around em.
Nom nom nom

S.K. Ren

• Bay Watcher
  • I disbelieve and jump!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 05, 2010, 12:35:38 pm »

The undead are not unkillable. I've armed my defense force with Silver Warhammers and they kill undead just fine.
Simon-v: How do you live in a world where Everything's Trying To Kill You?
xander_morhaime: Briefly.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 43