Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 43

Author Topic: [CONTEST] DFM3: Trailblazer - Deadline: June 13  (Read 44405 times)

S.K. Ren

• Bay Watcher
  • I disbelieve and jump!!!
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DFM3: Trailblazer - Begin!
« Reply #195 on: April 04, 2010, 02:03:31 am »

I've decided to write... some... sort of... music thing for my fort. Here's what i have so far:

In foreign lands, 'cross brook and stone.
  Far we live from Mountain Home.
Amidst the woods and sandy ground,
  We sink our picks and travel down.

Four season pass with troubled sleep
From voices down within the deep.

And as we delve deeper still,
  Our bodies flush with icy chill,
We break into a great unkown,
  A place we must now call our home.

Simon-v: How do you live in a world where Everything's Trying To Kill You?
xander_morhaime: Briefly.

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 04, 2010, 03:20:38 am »

im doing pretty fine now, im trying to find a cure for drowsyness now and i got a miner that is lazy,gets tired quickly, and takes longer time to finish work...... which sucks much. and i made farms with muddying it slowed me down. and yeah i also got the zombie gaint rat stole those hearts

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 04, 2010, 04:11:39 am »

My crossbowdwarf who came with embark just went insane. Strangely, he only throws clothes, I can still control his movements...  ???

Interesting to see if he is going to kill my whole fort...
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 04, 2010, 04:44:08 am »

I'm hoping that a fix comes out for pathing issues and military before the deadline. Hard to create a megaproject when my dwarves take months to build a single wall. Hard to make a military when they won't train.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 04, 2010, 04:56:11 am »

The pathfinding is in my opinion more crucial as there are ways to get the training work pretty fast.
Another thing I would like to be fixed is the bad thoughts from being starving/dehydrated due trying to finish a task (mining, training, patrols etc.)

BTW, I know we are only allowed to use graphic packs in the contest fort, but just want to be sure, is it okay if I edit the RAWS in a way that it replaces all accented characters with normal ones? With mayday tileset it's pretty damn hard to read all the names...

EDIT: On the side note, you can get around the pathfinding problem by saving/reloading right after you build a construction. It will remove the invisible "barrier" which appear around the construct which is preventing anything to move around the construction for a short period of time.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 05:02:27 am by Kipi »

You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 04, 2010, 05:42:36 am »

My recently arrived immigrants are harried by several zombie buzzards...  :o
They had intelligence to try to avoid those, but instead of running inside my fortress (the entrances is right and down from the arrival point) they decided to run on top left corner of the map.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Wasn't able to get screen shots work from full screen, but right below the migrants and the lower bond there is three more zombie buzzards coming right towards the trapped immigrants.

The slaughter will be inevitable...  :D

EDIT: Now I'm disappointed.
The result of mssacre:
0 dead immigrants, everybody was able to evade the zombies
1 dead zombie buzzard, killed by puppy. Everybody except one immigrant has already reached the fortress, and the last one is desperately trying to avoid the buzzards reaching the fortress entrance I I type this.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 05:48:43 am by Kipi »

Brisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 04, 2010, 06:47:11 am »

Wasn't able to get screen shots work from full screen

hold alt+Print Screen

on a different note save often.
I don't want to use seasonal auto saves because they are so big. I was almost through my first year. mid-winter. messing around with the military screen and DF crashed to desktop.
I think from now on I am going to manually save every season.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 04, 2010, 07:38:07 am »

Did not work, only got black screen when pasted to Paint...

Oh, and I use autosave, but yet there is no reason which by the rules I would be allowed to reload earlier save...

Oh, and if someone is wondering, I don't have any testing fort, so everything new is handled in this contest fort...  ;)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 07:45:53 am by Kipi »

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 04, 2010, 09:06:08 am »

I'm doing the same thing Kipi.

Anyhoo, just logged two bugs that I didn't see anywhere else:

395 - Relatively minor importance but you can't select two gloves or boots when assigning specific items to a dwarf in the military menu. Workaround is to assign generic 'gloves' or 'boots' designation.

394 - Annoying as hell. I have a guy stuck looping when going to pick up the new gloves I made him. Beginning to think I should have waited before starting up the military until I had 10 dwarves to assign to the cause, along with all the equipment necessary to outfit them.
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #204 on: April 04, 2010, 09:22:49 am »

How the hell do you kill these zombie horses?  Just had ANOTHER herd come up.  I sent my woodcutter with his axe and the crossbowdwarf to kill them but the woodcutter doesn't care that he's holding an axe, he just wrestles them, and the crossbowdwarf died in about 10 seconds.  The rest of the fort is doing the entrance dance on the wrong side of the entrance.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 04, 2010, 09:32:29 am »

Did you assign the woodcutter to use axe while on duty?

Iiiiinteresting, just ordered my insane crossbowdwarf to kill those pesky zombie buzzards right outside my fort entrance, and he did it without problems. Though I think he clubbed them to death as I got error message of not picking equipment for being too insane...

So, insane dwarves still have uses, just order them slaughter something outside. Either they kill the targets making them useful, or you have one insane dwarf less in your fort.  ;D

EDIT: Two buzzards left, the crossbowdwarf dropped his crossbow and is now wrestling them to death.... :o
I think this dwarf deserves a nice tomb after he dies... if he ever dies, as it seems that even though he is insane (Running around babbling) he still seems to eat and drink. And follow my orders...
Bug perhaps?

EDIT2: Crap, he died. Can't get oustide because now the entrance is guarded by two zombie buzzards... and looks like I have my only farmer and brewer outside...  >:(
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 09:40:30 am by Kipi »

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 04, 2010, 09:40:48 am »

Well, apparently I chose my dig spot very well because they've yet to even bother me. I've also decided to really avoid any outside work unless absolutely necessary.
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 04, 2010, 09:47:14 am »

The only reason those are bothering me is because my second wave of immigrants led them to my entrance...

Looks like my carpenter/woodcutter is capable of finishing them of, luckily.

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 04, 2010, 11:37:19 am »

In an effort to spruce up my meager dining hall I decided to make some statues and encrust them. That's when I found the following bug:

407 - A gem setter will not encrust an item for each individual encrusting job, merely continue to use the initial item until all jobs queued are complete. Have to assume this is a bug because it would break trading. Imagine getting rid of a barrel that had been encrusted to the nines and ending up with an entire caravan's worth of stuff.

Edit: Had my first run-in with a zombie buzzard. Combination of a chained up dog (yes, regular) and my military commander (Professional Axedwarf) managed to do it in. The line of Stone-fall traps leading up to the dog however ended up being useless. I figure for zombies it needs to be edged weapon traps. Unfortunately, I have no smithing industry set up yet so I can't test as of yet.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 11:48:30 am by Moontayle »

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 04, 2010, 12:31:02 pm »

Yeah, that pathing thing is annoying as hell. I've been doing the save and reload thing to get around it but it took months for the miner to channel out like three holes. Anyhow I've decided to name my fort Bowlcity and make it a megaproject fort just because damn it why not. Getting the grass layers down a whole bunch of z-levels went pretty well when I'd overcome the pathing.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 43