Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 43

Author Topic: [CONTEST] DFM3: Trailblazer - Deadline: June 13  (Read 44396 times)

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DFM3: Trailblazer - Begin!
« Reply #150 on: April 02, 2010, 07:52:16 pm »

Going to start it tomorrow morning.

Two questions:
1) Do we have time limit in real time when we must post our fortress?
2) The RAWs are now included the saves, so does that mean that I don't have to turn all the RAWs I have edited back to normal to be able to play the contest fort?
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

S.K. Ren

• Bay Watcher
  • I disbelieve and jump!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 02, 2010, 07:55:34 pm »

I think the raws being included in the saves has to do with people who make major changes to the Raws folder and screwing up old games.
Simon-v: How do you live in a world where Everything's Trying To Kill You?
xander_morhaime: Briefly.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 02, 2010, 08:07:52 pm »

Lolor's Log, Slate 17
Shorast told me a giant zombie rat ran off with some of our food, so I had the food brought inside. Zefon, the axedwarf-formerly-known-as-a-marksdwarf, is currently running around with a wooden axe in her left hand and a copper axe in her right. It's a start. Ingiz, who has been cutting down trees in the area around the base camp, says that the area around here is pretty flat and somewhat safe aside from the undead rodent infestation, but further off we're surrounded by mountains on three sides and giant scorpions on the other two. She saw some smoke on the other side of the southeast mountains, so I sent a messenger badger off that way to see if we can get some help.

Felsite 13
We set up a little room for Zefon to practice not stabbing herself with. She's still holding on to both axes, so it might take her a while. I just noticed there's been a cat following us around for awhile, so Shorast's working on a butcher's shop now. I'm hearing the sound of a battleaxe hitting a sand wall in the barracks now, so I told Doc Ducim to see if he get get a traction bench together.

2) The RAWs are now included the saves, so does that mean that I don't have to turn all the RAWs I have edited back to normal to be able to play the contest fort?

The raws included in the save should override your changes in the default raws.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 02, 2010, 08:21:43 pm »

Thanks for the replies...

When I reread the rules, I noticed that we have to turn Weather and Temperature on...
Farewell decent FPS!  :'( ;D

You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

purplearcanist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 02, 2010, 08:59:50 pm »

Well, at least the new version of dwarf fortress works on linux, when I use wine.  YAY!
Arena is cool.
Dwarf fortress is slow.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
WTF, Dwarves can be Teachers?????
Time to multitask. :)
Edit: No guarantees that I will be able to finish, but I will try to make an awesome fort.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 09:12:06 pm by purplearcanist »

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 02, 2010, 09:42:12 pm »

I suggest trying Accelerator
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51957.0

It helped me a bit, got FPS around 100 with it (my cap is 800).

Okay, at first my intention was not to start the contest fortress this night, but wasn't able to resist.
So, 100 FPS with all things turned on, with brook running and 4*4 embark is rather good, I was expecting more like 20 FPS...

BTW, anyone else had problems making additional miners? I made two extra axes and assigned two of my currently idle dwarves to miners, but neither one is mining, just idling...

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 02, 2010, 09:53:53 pm »

BTW, anyone else had problems making additional miners? I made two extra axes and assigned two of my currently idle dwarves to miners, but neither one is mining, just idling...

Miners use picks, not axes.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 02, 2010, 10:08:30 pm »

CRAP!!!

I knew it would not be good idea to start playing, especially contest fort, 5 a.m. after 16 hour long work shift... :'( ;D

Now, this requires big facepalm
*facepalm*
*facepalm*
*facedesk*

You can imagine where I did spend those two copper bars we embarked with...  ::)

EDIT: One positive thing, I finally learned how to make my squad (consisting one dwarf) having patrols...  :D
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 10:10:57 pm by Kipi »

S.K. Ren

• Bay Watcher
  • I disbelieve and jump!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 02, 2010, 10:39:57 pm »

say, anyone know how deep you need to go before you can expect to find caverns?
Simon-v: How do you live in a world where Everything's Trying To Kill You?
xander_morhaime: Briefly.

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 02, 2010, 11:00:53 pm »

say, anyone know how deep you need to go before you can expect to find caverns?

Further than you currently are?
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Ultimarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 02, 2010, 11:51:53 pm »

Starting as soon as the mac version comes out. It is for the better, since I have to adjust my (Incomplete small) plans to the new challenges. I noticed that there is no challenge to build a megastructure beside 1 and 5, but those are different. It definitely gives it a different feel.
I discovered something new about aquifers!  On the down side, there's now a cave fish swimming around in the bedrooms.

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthulhu, the scariest Forgotten Beast of all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 03, 2010, 12:11:09 am »

As a wise man once said, " I shall help thy greatest cause of all, Dwarf fortress". Count me in as a player.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #162 on: April 03, 2010, 01:32:21 am »

Looks fun, Now if only life would stop messing up my life right when I want to play. Also the accelerator mentioned early works for me as well and I advise it to anyone with fps problems.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 03, 2010, 01:38:40 am »

Urist added as a player.

I updated the FAQ to help clarify the pathing rule further. I know it's a tricky rule, but turtling just makes the game too easy.

Also, feel free to temporarily turn off weather since it appears that rain kills dwarves - more challenge than I was aiming for. Turn it back on after the bugfix.

The deadline is in the first post - May 1. It might get pushed back if the merge takes too long, but I'm hoping it won't need to.

If you find bugs, please submit them to the bugtracker. That's part of benefit of the challenge - helping fill out the wiki and bugtracker. If it's crippling (and inability to make plaster is pretty serious given the goals) then we can push the deadline to consider the bugs, or we'll adjust the goals to compensate.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 03, 2010, 01:43:12 am »

Are we allowed to have a bridge into the fortress as long as we keep it open for siege's and only use it to ... I don't know .... Cover a giant statue in blood?

I just got some migrants, in mid summer.

First year.

Migrant cluster fuck yay.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 01:55:43 am by Realmfighter »
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 43