Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 43

Author Topic: [CONTEST] DFM3: Trailblazer - Deadline: June 13  (Read 44395 times)

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DFM3: Trailblazer - Begin!
« Reply #135 on: April 02, 2010, 03:32:31 pm »

Embark save currently downloading!

Reading over the competition criteria and whatnot again, I think I'd like to be switched over from a player to a judge. I'm still going to play for the fun of it, but purely for the fun of it so I can follow along and be part of things.

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 02, 2010, 03:47:45 pm »

Will be interesting to see how well people respond to objective #1. My initial experience is that incorporating an underground feature into a project will be... difficult.

Edit: DFFD is being bitchy, sitting at 10 minutes waiting for it to respond.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 03:53:47 pm by Moontayle »
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 02, 2010, 04:03:51 pm »

Zombie gophers and cougars oh my.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Eztuzt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 02, 2010, 04:12:31 pm »

Have to wait until my turn in Cavebrands, then I can start :P

When is this contest over?
In August of 1943, while serving as skipper of the PT-109, John F. Kennedy's boat was ripped in two by the Japanese destroyer Amagiri. Kennedy and his crew were tossed into the water and surrounded by flames. Kennedy, despite a chronic back injury and an even more chronic boning-induced-exhaustion, managed to swim four hours to safety while towing an injured crewman by the life jacket strap with his teeth. His fucking teeth!

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 02, 2010, 04:24:52 pm »

Wait, that farming quirk is a bug? I thought it was intentional. Seeing as it would make food production a challenge again.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 02, 2010, 04:46:20 pm »

WHOOOOOO!!!!!  6 day vacation, nothing to do but play DF... ALSO MAGMA SEAS!
Nom nom nom

S.K. Ren

• Bay Watcher
  • I disbelieve and jump!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 02, 2010, 05:18:49 pm »

All right, Map DL'd and ready to go
Simon-v: How do you live in a world where Everything's Trying To Kill You?
xander_morhaime: Briefly.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 02, 2010, 05:27:00 pm »

Wait, that farming quirk is a bug? I thought it was intentional. Seeing as it would make food production a challenge again.

It's confirmed as a bug.

And I'd like to encourage everyone to set up an account in the bugtracker. It's going to be the best way to keep Toady apprised of problems and to track them yourselves. Todestool wrote a nice how-to for folks that have never used a bugtracking tool.

Retro, I can switch you over to a judge. No problem. But why don't you think about it a bit and make sure.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 02, 2010, 05:40:43 pm »

Nah, I'm sure. I'm here for the thread rather than expressly competing. Plus I had a lot of fun judging DFM2 :D

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 02, 2010, 05:44:17 pm »

Bleh, 10 days in and already ran into the pathfinding bug. Seems dwarves don't like ramps that much.
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 02, 2010, 05:44:45 pm »

Retro moved to the judge column.

Also, setting 'Partial Print' to YES to in my init.txt file moved my FPS from 15-30 to steady 100.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #146 on: April 02, 2010, 05:57:53 pm »

This is awesome!  I'm making all my beds purple :P.

EDIT: Will a sealable flood chamber violate the "enemies must be able to path into fortress" rule?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 06:05:13 pm by bmaczero »
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 02, 2010, 06:24:45 pm »

Lolor's log, Obsidian 28, 1050
 That bastard Rigoth thought it would be a good idea to take a shortcut through the Desert of Eternal Damnation. He said it would take another two weeks to get to Tuberclout if we went around. Well, the giant desert scorpions ate everyone else and scared our horses so badly they ran all the way to Armok-knows-where. At least we're out of that desert. I don't like the looks of this place, though. The trees are purple. That ain't right. In any case, the wagon broke a wheel going over a pile of groundhog skeletons -- not the ambulatory kind, thank Dastot -- so we're stuck here for now. Rigoth is technically the expedition leader, by virtue of being the most experienced at leading, but the others have unaminously voted me in charge of keeping us alive as he's shown to be rather poor in that aspect. We strike the earth at dawn.

Granite 1, 1051
 First things first. The survivors were a motley crew of various professions. I had a few of them do things they weren't used to doing, but they'll learn. Specifically, the cook will help out with the farming; Ducim, Md., can see if he can figure out how to put some mechanisms together; that one guy who brought his crossbow will have to switch to an axe for reasons I won't go into, and Rigoth can help me out with the digging, so I had him burn some wood so he can make a pick and an axe with the copper we were fortunate to have. I smell sweet pod spores -- fresh ones, not the dried ones we brought with -- so I'm digging down to see if there's some space we can grow them in. Maybe there's a little pool down there with groundwater from the river.

The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 02, 2010, 06:59:01 pm »

Also, setting 'Partial Print' to YES to in my init.txt file moved my FPS from 15-30 to steady 100.

Sadly, for me trying that gave me the most amazing and intense fast screen flicker... screen/bright blue/screen/bright blue/screen/bright....

I had to go back.  I could tell it helped my fps though, that screen/bright blue flickering was way up there  >:(
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 02, 2010, 07:04:44 pm »

Sadly, for me trying that gave me the most amazing and intense fast screen flicker... screen/bright blue/screen/bright blue/screen/bright....

I had to go back.  I could tell it helped my fps though, that screen/bright blue flickering was way up there  >:(
You can try the solution proposed by Baughn in this topic.

In another hand I must say that plaster and soap seem to be broken, so a 'medical team' goal may be a little inappropriate for the current buggy version. Why not wait a little more for a more 'complete' version?
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 43