Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 43

Author Topic: [CONTEST] DFM3: Trailblazer - Deadline: June 13  (Read 44381 times)

Eztuzt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DFM3: Trailblazer - Signups/Rules
« Reply #105 on: March 27, 2010, 11:31:52 am »

There's a succession fort going on that i'd like to be a part of in the new version too, and I won't be playing before my turn in it (It has the same basic ideas here, discover everything with 0 experience). Will that be alright? I'll have a dwarf year's worth of experience in the new version and need to know if that would be alright or not.
In August of 1943, while serving as skipper of the PT-109, John F. Kennedy's boat was ripped in two by the Japanese destroyer Amagiri. Kennedy and his crew were tossed into the water and surrounded by flames. Kennedy, despite a chronic back injury and an even more chronic boning-induced-exhaustion, managed to swim four hours to safety while towing an injured crewman by the life jacket strap with his teeth. His fucking teeth!

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 27, 2010, 11:56:59 am »

People are going to play, and I wouldn't be surprised if many players had other fortresses running alongside the game - so I don't see any problem with it.

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 27, 2010, 09:37:41 pm »

I would say hold off on the official start until the merge happens along with the additional platforms being released. Since you'll be the one setting the embark site, people playing a buggy version of vanilla won't have too much of a leg up except for a better initial understanding of the new mechanics. Which, by the by, I don't think will be a hindrance for anyone who wants to consider themselves a DF Master.
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #108 on: March 28, 2010, 12:23:10 pm »

If a few extra mechanics was going to throw people who went and learned Dwarf Fortress in the first place there would not be as many people playing it as there are now.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 28, 2010, 03:27:58 pm »

frankly, waiting until after merges and all versions are out, will make it so it's not as much of a "new" FUN" challenge anymore, since people will be reading wiki's, forums, ect.  starting right off the bat, with each versions gonna be the only way that the whole NEW challenges are actually, kill you challenges and not minor annoyances, or "Hey I read about this all I need to do is...".
Nom nom nom

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #110 on: March 29, 2010, 02:54:18 am »

If it was "just" that then honestly learning to play DF in the first place would be no problem because the wiki has an excellent tutorial along with the video tutorial there should be no problems at all. In the new release a major change to how body's work along with a big redoing of the general things you can do to control the dwarves has happened, not to mention whole new roles and jobs along with fixing of some old ones. Also don't forget the military changes because I for one have looked forward to it. Oh and did I mention that most of the stuff if you followed what Toady has written and said you will know most of it already?
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 29, 2010, 05:46:57 am »

Oh and did I mention that most of the stuff if you followed what Toady has written and said you will know most of it already?
Of course, some people avoid spoilers. Like the plague.

You know, grammatically, that would be implying that the plague avoids spoilers.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #112 on: March 29, 2010, 12:10:29 pm »

That would depend on your definition of spoilers seeing as rats spoil stuff and let me tell you if history has taught me anything the plague does anything but avoid rats!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 29, 2010, 12:21:31 pm »

People are going to play, and I wouldn't be surprised if many players had other fortresses running alongside the game [...]

This are my thoughts on the matter as well. Whether we hold off or not, the Windows players are going to play something else if not this. Since I'm tagging along on this competition for the purposes of learning new things as they are discovered, I would hope that the Windows players would be able to play from day one even if some players can't, just so we can all follow along in the same thread, rather than the Windows players just going off on their own elsewhere.

On top of that, if people here are really concerned about spoilers, perhaps they shouldn't be following a thread in which finding out new things is basically the main goal.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 29, 2010, 01:57:53 pm »

Oh and did I mention that most of the stuff if you followed what Toady has written and said you will know most of it already?

Its not the same as actually playing and figuring things out. Sure you may know whats going to be in, but we still have alot to learn because of the finer details and the stuff Toady hasn't said about yet.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #115 on: March 29, 2010, 02:29:10 pm »

Of course it not the same and that's why we have this contest. Just like you can not get everything you need off of the wiki though it is quite close with it. though I did not quote I was responding to the post right before mine.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 02:31:16 pm by Akhier the Dragon hearted »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 30, 2010, 07:19:03 pm »

After this contest, I will establish a !!SCIENCE!! fort and use my infinite knowledge to dethrone the human gods.

Also, Akhier:

Do the Black Mage!
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #117 on: March 30, 2010, 08:00:33 pm »

There is not enough knife in it for my taste. If I ever stop being lazy(as in never) I am going to add more knife to my animation.

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 31, 2010, 04:42:06 am »

I'd like to judge. 3 souls or 6-8 people.
More if the challenge ends over weekend.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 31, 2010, 12:57:51 pm »

Martin, I would like to request that the civ you choose can sell pitchblende and/or star rubies.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 43