Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 43

Author Topic: [CONTEST] DFM3: Trailblazer - Deadline: June 13  (Read 44354 times)

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DFM3: Trailblazer - Signups/Rules
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2010, 02:05:13 am »

33 contestants in total, with an assumed noncompletion rate of 1/3 will leave 22 forts to be judged by 4 judges. You gonna take 5 or 6 each and shortlist the best for the other judges, or all look at every fort submitted?

For myself, I believe I'll be willing to look over several forts.  I don't think scoring on 5 goals with a 1-5 scale will be taxing or bothersome to me.  I assume we're allowed to comment on our scoring (I gave this fort's architecture a five because I was very impressed by...) but it looks like judges are not required to.

I expect I'll be interested and entertained by seeing how everyone meets their challenges and handles what the game throws at them.  Even if I'm given just a small set of the submissions to actually judge, I suspect I'll be peeking at all or most of the rest if I can just cause I'd like to see them :D
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2010, 11:20:02 am »

I had forgotten about this, but now that the new version is likely less than two weeks away, I certainly need practice on doing stuff quickly.

I am good in getting the initial area set up fast, but I'm not real good at doing projects or whatever real quickly.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2010, 11:57:54 am »

As such, players will have control over their embark and dwarf skills

Everyone will embark with the same profile which I will select. No, you can't pick.

Wait what?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2010, 01:16:46 pm »

Everyone will embark with the same profile which I will select. No, you can't pick.

Wait what?

Maybe he meant that we can't back up and try to choose whatever random set of preferences and traits we want.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2010, 01:30:57 pm »

Wait what?

Quote one is taken a little out of context.  Here's the rest of that idea - "Players will start with little understanding of the new version and have to adapt quickly without the benefit of other's experience to serve as a guide. As such, players will have control over their embark and dwarf skills and the focus will be on making the most of the new features, the larger number of subterranean levels, creatures, and so on."

I interpret that to mean that Martin acknowledges that all or almost all of us know how to start playing a DF map, just like we have control over our mouse and keyboard skills and the focus is on making the most of the games we play and the choices we can make in them.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2010, 01:48:00 pm »

Even if we can't change the embark site, we should still be able to name the fort, otherwise it would be hard to distinguish from all of the entries if they had the same name.

I really want to be able to use the mayday graphics since I'm so used to it.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2010, 02:23:55 pm »

Even if we can't change the embark site, we should still be able to name the fort, otherwise it would be hard to distinguish from all of the entries if they had the same name.

I really want to be able to use the mayday graphics since I'm so used to it.

I was half expecting this to be covered by the name of your save game folder.  That will be the first thing a judge can see of your map, after all, even before we open it.

As to graphics, I don't believe we will be able to tell what sort of graphics you used while playing it.  I tried it just to check, pulled a saved game from a DF folder running with mayday to a standard tileset DF folder and it opened just fine, simply looked like it looked with the current version's tileset.

Comments are expected, you can always mention 'Built with Mayday graphics, probably looks best with them too', and even a copy of your tileset in case we don't already have it, so we can use it without having to search for it.

I don't know exactly what our scoring rules will be and if the tileset(s) we use to examine your maps could matter, but I suspect if you can get your tileset to work with the new version there won't be any problems with you using it.  Mods that actually change how the game plays (not looks) are expressly forbidden if I read the rules right.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 02:30:19 pm by Imp »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2010, 02:43:40 pm »

Martin, I pray to Armok that by "wildlife challenge" you mean unicorns.

Or skritters.

Or both. Muhuhahahahahaha...

EDIT: Also, I am so starting a fort with seven mikers and a wagon full of lye.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 02:45:34 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2010, 02:58:03 pm »

How did I possibly not hear about this. I practically have no choice but to see about getting in on this... I can't abandon my brainchild, even if it's been baby-snatched by someone else.

Do you still have a seat open for me?

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2010, 05:06:48 pm »

Question regarding rule #6: does this apply only to above ground, or to underground features too? If we breach an underground layer or HFS, are we allowed to wall it back up or must we leave it open?

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2010, 06:57:02 pm »

probably HSF yes but just regular underground features no.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2010, 08:32:52 pm »

I hope that's not the case. Due to aesthetic reasons, I'd like to be able to use constructions to complete mining operations that end up breaching the underground layers.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 24, 2010, 10:35:37 pm »

Wait what?

Yeah, that was rather poorly stated on my part - plus these were statements quite a time apart. I think Imp caught the jist of it, though. I'll clean up the wording in a little bit.

Graphics set replacement is totally fine as it has no impact on game play. Any gameplay affecting mods not approved here are forbidden - so no 0 speed dwarves, no changing damage/damblock, nothing like that. (I'm leaving the door open to some minor adjustments to the mods that fix gameplay - but they need to be approved here so everyone can use them. Who knows if Toady gave groundhogs a damblock of 10000 or some typo like that that escaped testing. We're all familiar with the cat fix, even though that can't be applied retroactively.)

I'd suggest renaming your save folder to your fortress name. That's what I do in these challenges. I've never found it confusing in previous rounds. I'm really hoping DFMA will be working for this...

Question regarding rule #6: does this apply only to above ground, or to underground features too? If we breach an underground layer or HFS, are we allowed to wall it back up or must we leave it open?

Underground features as well since this version presumably exposes the underground to be a peer to the surface. More specifically, at any given time the majority of your dwarves (including non-military) must be able to path to ALL exposed map edges including the bottom of the map, except when blocked by natural features. That doesn't prevent having some dwarves locked off somewhere like in a lever room or something like that, but if some nasty wanders onto the map from the side surface, the side underground, the magma pipe, underground river, HFS, whatever - they must be able to motor in and massacre the majority of your fort. You can cage them, put traps before them, and all sorts of things - but you cannot block them outright using constructions.

This leaves more than a few loopholes to accomplish the mining task. Use them wisely.

Solifuge added as a player.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 10:39:01 pm by Martin »

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 24, 2010, 11:40:57 pm »

What about liquids? Does opening a tunnel and then flooding it to prevent entry count as blocking? How does this apply if I want to use the opened hole for my pump stack? Do I then have to dig a separate entrance to allow nasties in?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 25, 2010, 10:48:49 am »

Okay cool on the graphics thing.

What about the economic stone mod though? I don't know how the economic stone stuff works in vanilla though, so I don't know how much different it is.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 43