Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43

Author Topic: [CONTEST] DFM3: Trailblazer - Deadline: June 13  (Read 44306 times)

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DFM3: Trailblazer - Deadline: June 13
« Reply #600 on: June 12, 2010, 02:51:30 pm »

Better hurry up, deadline is tomorrow!
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: June 12, 2010, 03:18:10 pm »

I know.

Calculated that it takes around 3-4 hours to complete one year, so 8, max nine hours in total. Manageable.

EDIT: By the way, are we the only two going to complete this competition?
So far haven't seen any other submissions than yours...

EDIT2: Okay, tested the execution platform, works like a charm :D
Hopefully the video is clear enough, the were some serious lags at the beginning...

EDIT3: Niiiiice!!
Did some heavy cleaning in my computer processes, now there is only DF running along the processes needed by windows. Also I lowered the G_FPS_CAP from 20 to 10, got nearly double the amount of FPS, which is somewhere 38-44 now!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 03:50:41 pm by Kipi »
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: June 12, 2010, 05:56:43 pm »

If I had known this, I would have upgraded to .06 earlier.

My FPS just jumped to nearly 60 after upgrading.  :o ;D
Compared to that mighty 24 FPS this feels like lightspeed.

On other news, autumn of year seven is nearly ended. Couple ambushes, nothing interesting happened.

EDIT: Okay, the FPS did get lower a bit, now it's somewhere between 43-53, depending on what I'm doing in a given moment.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 06:07:54 pm by Kipi »

You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: June 12, 2010, 06:23:03 pm »

Just skimmed through this thread to see how many submissions were finished - is it just Moontayle and Kipi still left?

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: June 12, 2010, 06:33:19 pm »

Looks like it.

Though haven't checked the map archives yet. And there is still time, perhaps some does not want to submit their fort before the deadline.

EDIT:
Year seven is nearly finished, and it's time to ensure some points in nobility section. So I made sure that each nobility position is filled with different dwarf, and created one squad more to fill the captain position. That squad will be stationed at the cave entrance, and guards squad is going to patrol between the main entrance and the cavern entrance.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 06:46:50 pm by Kipi »

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: June 12, 2010, 07:02:43 pm »

Judges (at least some of us) are awake, interested, and available as needed.  For me I'm waiting until all the entries are in before I start to score any, so far that I am aware that means waiting (patiently and comfortably, fear not!) on Kipi.  I sure hope there's at least a few more players who have been quietly finishing, wanting to spring their submissions as a 'surprise' at the end  :P

I've not even looked at Moontayle's submission yet, I'm going to compare all the entries we get, be they 2 or 20, as side by side as I can set them up on my puter.  I'll start checking once the submission time is over.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: June 12, 2010, 09:31:17 pm »

well I can't finish mine, but I can judge is some judges drop out.
Nom nom nom

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: June 13, 2010, 03:11:07 am »

Posting with cellphone, so sorry for any spelling errors.

Last night around 5 a.m. The neighborhood where I live lost connection to electricity due tree falling over power lines. The power is back, thank good, but not without damage.

First of all, my charger cable for laptop, which I use to play DF, probably fried as it does not give power anymore. Secondly my tv, stereo system and dvd player stopped working as well. I've been in contact with my insurance company already, or actually they contacted me, and I have meeting with them tomorrow morning 8 a.m. After that I'm going to buy new cable to my laptop, and after that I'm going to finish last two seasons. My workshift tomorrow begins 1:30 p.m. and ends 9 p.m. I try to post something before leaving to work, though the actual submission and file uploading probably has to wait to me getting back from work.

Oh, and for comparition, the time here is 11 a.m. now, and in forums it's 3 a.m.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: June 13, 2010, 03:16:31 am »

Considering you're one of the apparently two final contestants, I don't think anyone's going to oppose the possibility of waiting an extra day to double the number of entries :P

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: June 13, 2010, 04:08:17 am »

Thanks, I really hope so. I mean hope that my late submission is accepted, not that we are the only two competing anymore. ;)

Though I fear that I have not much chances against Moontayle. Haven't checked his submission any other way than to see if he has had king or queen. He has, I don't. Also, even though I have two extra projects finished, both of them were possible in 40d as well, though requiring nearly perfect embark location. But more about that when I finally post my fort.

Have to adit though that this has been quite learning process. Now I know how to make functional military, and even be able to keep them alive. Same goes with hospital. Also I did some things I have never done before, like combining water & magma, cloth industry and gem industry. Also I have never done something like drowning chamber before.

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: June 13, 2010, 06:53:59 am »

I really don't want it to just be me and Kipi. Not much of a contest then. I just hope some people are deciding to wait until the final bell before piping up and showing off their work.
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: June 14, 2010, 02:51:45 pm »

Okay, update of my situation.

The whole morning went battling with my insurance company. Yesterday they were more or less willing to pay the costs, but today they claimed that the electricity shortage was not the cause of the things breaking, but faulty cable which allows me to plug several devices to one spot... Wouldn't be that big problem, but my tv is worth of 1000€, dvd player about 200€ and stereo system around 500€. Not interested on paying them myself. They finally, thank god, agreed to pay the devices.

So, from insurance company I went to buy new cable to my laptop, then straight to work. Went a bit overwork, so just came back, and begun playing. Trying to finish this as soon as possible.

Oh, and I learned something today.
After you get over 140 population you get command to see the requirements to become kingdom. From noble screen, 'n', you must press 'c' to see the list. The requirements are 15k architecture wealth, 5000 road wealth and 5000 offering wealth. Trying to reach that, though the offering probably makes it impossible to actually become kingdom before year is finished.

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: June 14, 2010, 03:15:53 pm »

It does. The caravan has to get back with the offering and then the Queen would show up the next migrant wave.

Martin: I am more than willing to keep extending the deadline day-by-day until we get a good amount of people participating. Kipi and I are the only ones who are publicly posting so I don't know if this is something that needs to be done but as I state above, I certainly don't want to get a default award.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 03:19:25 pm by Moontayle »

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: June 14, 2010, 03:39:11 pm »

Yeah, Moontayle's suggestion sounds fine to me. Though I hope those possible other candidates would announce their thoughts soon, so that the final decision could be done.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: June 15, 2010, 02:50:55 am »

Would anyone other than Kipi who is (or who would like to be) still working on their fort for the contest mind mentioning that you are?  Updates are great, and greatest of all it banishes that lonely feeling of 'gee, isn't anyone else with us?'  8)  I'm perfectly willing to score just Moontayle and Kipi if -no one- else wants in.  But really, the more the merrier!
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43