Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 43

Author Topic: [CONTEST] DFM3: Trailblazer - Deadline: June 13  (Read 44315 times)

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DFM3: Trailblazer - Begin Again! Map 2 Now Posted!
« Reply #570 on: June 06, 2010, 08:09:40 am »

Learned one irritating thing today:¨
FB made from steam can pass the walls. Also, as it has only body and tail, so it's immortal. Don't know yet if it's possible to cage these things, I doubt it.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: June 06, 2010, 11:57:25 am »

Ok, let's push it back one week - new deadline is the 13th. My fortress seems much more stable in this release, so hopefully everyone else's is too. We might even get .06 out in the next week which has a few other minor bug fixes.

Ultimarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: June 06, 2010, 01:39:57 pm »

Yuck. An unkillable magma man came in and started killing tons of people... the bad thing is, he's attacking the miners so I can't cave in on him... D:

Axes kill magma men. They can be bifurcated.

Thanks! That worked. Probably should of tried that before  ;).
Aand now the goblins. Another recruit who forgot his helm got torn apart by the goblins (yay charging alone!), but otherwise its going good. Work on my megaproject has now slowed down allot thanks to miner deaths, but never fear, for migrants are here!
I discovered something new about aquifers!  On the down side, there's now a cave fish swimming around in the bedrooms.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DFM3: Trailblazer - Deadline: June 13
« Reply #573 on: June 06, 2010, 03:53:02 pm »

Thanks for the new deadline.

Now, all things would be fine if I could find a method of avoiding the mist FB. I could try to block the stairs with floor and build a new way down, not sure if it helps. At least, if I attach one dog on both end of the stairs, I could get some more time to do the sealing. It seems that the FB enters the stairs from one exact location, which has only one tile between the stairs and underground sea.

Anyone else have any good advices? Caveins are out of question due the layout issues, and the FB can not be caged.

You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: June 06, 2010, 04:03:01 pm »

Gratuitous axe-based violence?

EDIT: oh, crap. Can't be dismembered. Hmmm... You could use a cave-in, if you weren't averse to rebuilding an area. Constructed walls/floors still kill things they hit, if that's your problem. Can I see a screenshot or map showing the issue? I think better when I have a visual.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 04:07:03 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: June 06, 2010, 04:05:52 pm »

It's made of mist, hence it can't be killed.

Can't really help you Kipi. I did manage to kill one unkillable through cave-in but every other time an unkillable reared its head the game crashed after a bit.
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: June 06, 2010, 04:08:42 pm »

Forgotten beasts are truly annoying when they can only be killed by cave-in. Have you tried drowning it? Given that it's made of steam, it may "condense" and die, like when Toady was testing 31.01.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: June 07, 2010, 04:29:33 am »

I'm trying for the new stairway method. If that doesn't work, then I could post the pics of the problem area if you want.

Oh, and it can not be drowned as it travels in underground sea, beneath the surface.

EDIT: Seems like constructing new stairway and blocking the problematic one removed the problem. Year four is ending, and the mist FB has not entered my fortress. In couple of earlier attempts it always entered during mid-winter or late-winter.

Oh, and quiz: How long it takes to smooth area about 43*48 with four engravers? None of them are legendary in status. And I mean time in in-game time. They won't engrave the area completely, as part of it is inaccessible due walls, but I think only around 20 tile is not going to be smoothed.

I will post the result when the smoothing is finished... :D

EDIT2: Okay, then smoothing begun 17th Obsidian, 554...
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 05:33:14 am by Kipi »

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: June 07, 2010, 09:26:24 am »

Early summer of year 5.

Things are running great, last immigrant wave took my population over 100 dwarves, so I should expect sieges soon. Perhaps even some royalty, never knows.

No sign of that devious mist FB anymore, it really seems that my trick worked perfectly. I suspect that the heavy traffic in certain part of the stairs, which had only one tile between the stairs and water, attracted the FB to pass the walls to my fort. So now when there is no more traffic in that part, had to seal it out, The FB has stayed out.

Got second squad up and running, commanded by the Captain of the Guard. Had to improvise their current uniform somewhat, not enough steel yet.

Couple of new FB has entered the caves. One especially got me scared, with wings, web and things like that. Had to rush and build walls around one hallway leading from one stairs to another at the first cave.

Lastly, the shrine is turning out great. Have about 3/4 smoothing to be done, then it's ready. Also, my second project, execution platform, is also doing great.

The only things I have complaints are FPS. Currently, the game is running speedy 19-21 FPS...  ???

EDIT: Interesting. Apparently the game failed to announce the election of new mayor. Last time my old mayor made a mandate, he still was listed as mayor. Now, one of my doctors is mayor. Checked several times the announcement list, and no mention of new mayor. Luckily the new mayor is also my Chief Medical Dwarf, so only required to swap some rooms, and no building new ones.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 09:50:05 am by Kipi »

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: June 07, 2010, 11:50:42 am »

At least you don't have to worry about the multiple mayor bug anymore. And yeah, all three times my mayors switched I never heard about it.
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: June 07, 2010, 01:26:09 pm »

Computer crashed, had to return to summer of year five. Not big deal

I think I have to buy new computer soon. My laptop, and specifically the battery of it, can not handle DF well. Running DF drains CPU, which the drains battery. And as the battery is in pretty bad shape, only capable of staying up around two minutes without cable, the constant charging overheats my computer. Result is crashes. Usually waiting couple of minutes with computer turned off cools it down enough to handle more gaming for several hours.

Ultimarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: June 07, 2010, 04:39:30 pm »

Yes! I have vanquished the threat of the thirty mounted (STOP RUNNING AWAY!!!) gobbos that dared knock on my door! Beer for all, and-

Oh. Season change, and another three pages of em. Led by the fabled Osnun Prowlhex. Oh crap.
I discovered something new about aquifers!  On the down side, there's now a cave fish swimming around in the bedrooms.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: June 08, 2010, 04:00:46 am »

Late summer, got my first siege in this fortress.

Twelve goblins tried to enter my fort, one mounted on bird. I sent my squad of six soldiers to oppose them.
Result:
Goblins: 9 dead, 2 caged, 1 escaped.
Dwarves: 1 promoted to axelord, 1 wounded with minor wound on body. No bleeding.

The battle was like one swing of axe, one dead goblin. I like this!  :D

EDIT: And after the battle, what does the wounded one? Goes to have some nice drink! Dwarfy... :D
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 04:02:41 am by Kipi »

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: June 09, 2010, 04:55:36 am »

Year five is near the end.

Another lost life, this time mechanic who was emptying the cage traps from the wave of thieves, when ambushed. Died immediately, and my military was too late to safe him. The ambush was crushed.

Going to modify my entrance a bit more, making it more safe to clean up and reload traps after ambush, siege or just plain thieves. This means making secondary entrance, which will be open only when the primary entrance is closed due cleaning and maintance.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: June 09, 2010, 11:30:00 am »

31.06 is out. Doesn't look like many crash fixes (at least ones I think we'd be battling here) and there's a few military fixes, but none of the big military/hospital ones. I don't think it'll much affect the things players will be scored on.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 43