Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 43

Author Topic: [CONTEST] DFM3: Trailblazer - Deadline: June 13  (Read 44338 times)

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DFM3: Trailblazer - Begin Again! Map 2 Now Posted!
« Reply #540 on: June 02, 2010, 10:05:12 am »

Ok, so here is my submission for DFM3. I've been a pretty vocal component here (to the point where sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself... more than usual that is) and I think this is the first submission but I could be wrong and someone who just doesn't talk much has already put theirs in. Anyhoo, I had a blast and truth be told this is the first fort I've ever had that lasted more than five years or so. I think the new features of the 2010 version of DF keep people on their toes and allows for a lot of leeway in terms of how you play.

Now I'm going to be honest and say that I did have a few unkillable FBs come by and wreck havoc on the fort but for some reason or another the game almost always crashed once the FBs made their way into the fort proper. I'm thinking maybe there was an item error somewhere that the game couldn't process because it happened about a half dozen times all in all. I also got a lot of crashes in the final six months of the fort which meant I started saving every two in-game weeks so I didn't lose a lot of progress with building designations and changes to the military (did a lot of both towards the end). I can't be sure what was causing the crashes because I would always do the same things when I went back into the game and two times it might crash while the third would make it through.

Anyhoo, I only had the one bug with the Elves leaving everything behind but I also think that there's a bug which now prevents me from getting a Baron (and the Hammerer and Tax Collector as a result) now that I have the King living with me. Since it's the Liaison that gives you the option of becoming a Barony, and since he's now living at the fort and no longer does meetings, I don't think I'll ever get the option. Seems like it might be a bit of an oversight. Oh, and I no longer have the option of requesting items from the dwarven caravan. Now they'll likely send me things randomly based upon what I buy from them like the humans and elves do.

Anyhoo, as listed before here is the final status of the fort:

Here's the link to the map. I went through and added a ton of POIs with descriptions so you can get a feel for some of the things I was doing. I also point out a couple of the interesting things that popped up over the years. I ran the game with the Pheobus tileset.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-8882-moontayledfm3

And here's the upload for you judges to look at. It's 31.04, just so ya know.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2440

Overall I had 19 total deaths to various reasons. By far most of the dwarves died violently and I even had a child die when a Jabberer somehow made its way past my defenses and I didn't notice until the death message popped up. I had numerous sieges (about five total), ambushes, several FBs show up as well as an Ettin and a Cyclops. Plus the normal creeps you'd run into with the caverns. I had 15 artifacts made, most of them useless but a few useful ones popped up (a couple of which you'll see later). 182 dwarves, 26 of them kids so 156 mildly useful dwarves (depends on your definition of useful). Of those 44 were Legendary in something and another 6 were on the verge of being Legendary. The skill decay definitely works because I had a few of my early survivors who were the first to get assigned to my military end up being peasants for lack of any job related skills. I think that's it. On to the scoring stuff!

Spoiler: Project D'Toady (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Military (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Medical (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Fortress Operations (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Other (click to show/hide)

I think that covers it. If any of the judges need to know something just reply or PM me and I'll answer as best I can. I really went as descriptive as I could be in the DFMA upload so I hope it covers just about everything. I had an absolute blast doing this and I hope I do well. Later!
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: June 03, 2010, 02:08:54 am »

Woo, nice to peek at your submission.  Martin's in charge and all, and I won't say anything cause I'm not sure what he wants to say and I'm following his lead and all, but I didn't want you to hear silence until he could respond ether  :P

So, an unofficial "well done!" you are the first to say on the forums that you are finished; though maybe other(s) mailed Martin or something.

And I like that you added comments such as the one below, that sort of guidance is appreciated.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 02:13:12 am by Imp »
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: June 03, 2010, 02:40:37 am »

Lesson of the day:
Periodically save your game. I had my game opened for couple of days without saving, and today the computer crashed. My last save was from summer of year three, so didn't have to go back but about two seasons. Still, a dwarback on my schedule.

I think I'm going to make one big pot of coffee and have a DF marathon today, perhaps tomorrow as well...
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: June 03, 2010, 07:41:54 am »

Woo, nice to peek at your submission.  Martin's in charge and all, and I won't say anything cause I'm not sure what he wants to say and I'm following his lead and all, but I didn't want you to hear silence until he could respond ether  :P

So, an unofficial "well done!" you are the first to say on the forums that you are finished; though maybe other(s) mailed Martin or something.

And I like that you added comments such as the one below, that sort of guidance is appreciated.

Thank you. And Martin did say that some guidance on our part would be appreciated in the Military and Medical aspects so I wanted to be thorough. Have fun going through it!

Lesson of the day:
Periodically save your game. I had my game opened for couple of days without saving, and today the computer crashed. My last save was from summer of year three, so didn't have to go back but about two seasons. Still, a dwarback on my schedule.

I think I'm going to make one big pot of coffee and have a DF marathon today, perhaps tomorrow as well...

That's what I had to do in order to make it through the last few years. Despite precautions, the FPS was low enough the last year or so that it took me a good two days to make it through the last year, about 12 hours of playing time in total. Not counting rollbacks from a crash (had more than a couple, as I mentioned).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 07:44:36 am by Moontayle »
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: June 03, 2010, 08:54:34 am »

Yeah, the FPS is the biggest problem here.
How low it went in your fort during last couple of years?

Okay, let's see... For DF marathon I have some premade meals which just need heating in microwave, beer, coffee, couple packs (30 per one pack) of cigarets, some good music and bottle of Johnnie Walker Black Label whiskey...  :D

You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: June 03, 2010, 09:53:14 am »

Yeah, the FPS is the biggest problem here.
How low it went in your fort during last couple of years?

Okay, let's see... For DF marathon I have some premade meals which just need heating in microwave, beer, coffee, couple packs (30 per one pack) of cigarets, some good music and bottle of Johnnie Walker Black Label whiskey...  :D
About ~20 on average. Not horrendously slow but enough that it did take some time when you couple needing to pause to issue commands and such.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: June 03, 2010, 10:20:11 am »

Hmm... that sounds manageable.

By the way, does statue get destroyed in magma? Anyone knows?

EDIT: And anyone knows how I can prevent my miner to try to clean my magma resrvoir? The guy is trying to clean the magma from one ramp which was left while I dug the reservoir, and all the time the magma level gets low enough because of pumping allowing him to try it, then cancel due dangerous terrain. >:(

EDIT2: Apparently diamonds burn. At least when covered in magma :D

EDIT3: Looks like golden barrels are useless, not food is stored to those. 30 gold barrels, without any use... >:(

EDIT4: Later winter, nearly new year. Got two ambush at the same time. Result: 7 dead goblins, two dead dwarves. One dwarf fell down to river. Second one, the hero of the combat who single handedly killed five of the seven goblins and drove them away died from blood loss from arm. And what did my doctors do? Idled!!! >:(
They just hanged in dining room, with No Job label. No-one cared to carry the hero to the hospital for healing. How come??

Bright side of the event was that my evacuation procedure worked very well. I had one burrow set down deep in the fortress, and when the ambush occured I set the burrow from alarm system to everyone. All who weren't in squad evacuated there.

But seriously, did I miss something in my hospital setting? I have the zone set, two dwarves with all doctoring related jobs enabled, but no luck.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 11:36:57 am by Kipi »

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: June 03, 2010, 11:59:07 am »

I ran into that a couple of times. I found it helpful to have a couple of dwarves set to only recover wounded once a battle started. Make sure they're productive dwarves you try and keep busy so you know that they do the work. You really don't need a couple of hundred fungiwood's chopped down right that instant do you?

I had a burrow as well (should edit that part in) but it ran from the Trade Depot and encompassed the entirety of the fort. Since enemies rarely made their way past the Depot, it worked out very well. As buggy as burrows are when you try and assign individual dwarves to them, I didn't want to attempt to get too complicated with that aspect.

Edit: It's a relief not having DF over my head. First night in a while that I didn't have a DF related dream.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: June 03, 2010, 12:04:07 pm »

Thanks. Hopefully those two deaths doesn't prevent any migrants to come...

Oh well, Kosoth Oltarūthir Zonsolam Nish was just buried in The Shrine. R.I.P. hero!

EDIT: Oh, and I have good way of punish the goblins who were caged: I put them in my barracks, surrounded by the rest of the survived squad, and release them. Though I'm not totally without mercy, I will leave the equipments. Four angry, bloodthirsty dwarves with full steel equipment. Best thing which could happen is that my doctors get some minor work to do (finally). ;D

EDIT2:
And here is the grand battleground, also known as the entrance to my fortress.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
All those goblins were killed by Kosoth, his body was found from the same tile as the goblin crossbow soldier (the green 'g' at left side. That goblin was already fleeing, but with his last strength Kosoth hunted it down and killed, before collapsing from bleeding.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 12:29:00 pm by Kipi »

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: June 03, 2010, 02:04:11 pm »

Sorry for double post, didn't want to over-edit my previous post.

So, late spring of the fourth year. Trying to reach year five today.

Got another migrant wave at the beginning of year, now my fort has population of 79. Yes, one dwarf bellow the siege limit.
With the migrants I was able to replenish my axe squad back to six soldiers, and I've begun making leather equipment for my archery squad, six soldiers as well. Extended my barracks with archery ranges for that purpose. Also I was able to rise the number of doctors to six, so next time I have wounded dwarves I hope they get hauled to hospital.  :P

Have to FB running in my map. Well, basically one, as one is running in cavern sea and is unkillable, the second one is minotaur which happened to be caged before my military was able to reach it. So far two occurances, one double assault and one FB, and still haven't had any need for my drowning chamber. Hopefully the first siege fixes this, haven't had possibility to test it. Now I'm wondering what to do with the minotaur, perhaps release it in my barracks surrounded my military for practice and hopefully some minor wounds.

Shrine is doing well, still waiting for magma to vaporize in certain sections so that I'm able to get to next phase. That should be either in this season or the next one.

Also, for some laughs, I have one rough yellow diamond in my shrine, covered in magma, and it has been burning about two season by now.

EDIT: Oh, and golden barrels are excellent for trading. Around 1500 worth per barrel?! If I wanted I would have been able to buy everything from those elves. Well, at least I don't have to worry about wood for some time again, nor about the sand.

EDIT2:
You can pretty much forget what I have said in this post, game crashed. Didn't have to go back much, just about one season (was at the beginning of the summer, had to go to the autosave of spring).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 02:18:18 pm by Kipi »

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: June 03, 2010, 04:32:06 pm »

One question about your number of doctors, Kipi, isn't it the 'recovering wounded' labor that gets hurt people to the hospital?  Each immigrant seems to come with that automatically on (though you might be changing that), or is it that you actually need a doctor's available to treat them right at the moment or no one will recover them?
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #551 on: June 03, 2010, 06:06:39 pm »

Recover wounded is not an actual skill. It just determines if the dwarf can bring the wounded somewhere.

Quote from: Dwarf Fortress Wiki
Non-doctor labors

"Non"-doctors have 2 labors that contribute to healthcare:

* Feed Patients/Prisoners
        * Recover Wounded

Note that these are not skills - they do not cause experience gain, but merely are activities that can be turned on/off for each dwarf. By default, all dwarfs start with these labors designated.
Link to the page for health care is HERE
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: June 03, 2010, 11:14:16 pm »

Something says I should try this again before I run out of time...
Just need to get some insperation....

I could try making it a Prision, that would be interesting...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: June 04, 2010, 06:38:10 am »

One question about your number of doctors, Kipi, isn't it the 'recovering wounded' labor that gets hurt people to the hospital?  Each immigrant seems to come with that automatically on (though you might be changing that), or is it that you actually need a doctor's available to treat them right at the moment or no one will recover them?

The thing was that both of my doctors had the labor enabled, as well as half of the population. It just seems that the priority is just so low that they would rather idle than bring wounded to hospital.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: June 04, 2010, 07:22:06 am »

Late spring, year four.

Got migrant wave, and Ettin appear my map. attacked Ettin, and it dropped to river. Left it there, thinking it would drown soon enough. Next thing I notice it that it's scaring my migrants, and when I zoom to it it's almost at the entrance of my fortress, chasing migrants away. So, lesson of this episode, Ettins can and will climb up from rivers.

EDIT:
First time the military actually failed me. I ordered everybody to safety burrow, and my squad to entrance. Most of the time the squad was more interesting on returning to barracks to do some individual training than moving to the entrance. When I finally managed to get them where I wanted, and the Ettin was just ten tiles away from them, I ordered them to kill the Ettin. Result was that they wanted to have some drink right at that moment, leaving their post. Luckily Ettin decided to chase down the squad instead of some poor peasants, and it was trapped in cage. Still, I lost one migrant to Ettin.

Urist McPeasant: "Alarm, alarm! Ettin is chasing our poor fellows. We need some soldiers at the entrance!"
Urist McSqaudleader: "Later! Don't you see we are drinking right now. And after that we need some individual training done. Perhaps after that."
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 07:35:01 am by Kipi »

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 43