Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 43

Author Topic: [CONTEST] DFM3: Trailblazer - Deadline: June 13  (Read 44355 times)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DFM3: Trailblazer - Begin Again! Map 2 Now Posted!
« Reply #480 on: May 19, 2010, 04:30:41 pm »

hum, building big and large, so not much value... other then MY TWO FULLY EQUIPPED STEEL AXEDWARVES!! at the end of first fall :D
Nom nom nom

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: May 20, 2010, 12:30:30 am »

Heh. In an interesting twist of the pathing rule, a forgotten beast entered the map and was heading toward the fortress and is now trapped between two trees some distance apart but each blocking it from exiting the map or reaching the fortress. One trees matured after he had started down a path and the other matured before he could retrace. Being natural features it'd be okay to leave him trapped there, but I sent a woodcutter down to chop down one of the two trees. Hopefully he can run back before the beast catches up to him.

Ultimarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: May 20, 2010, 01:01:25 am »

In late autumn of the second year, I had a military of about nine mildly trained, recently equipped with training axes, soldiers. Then the goblins appeared. Two ambushes, totaling about ten goblins, appeared right next to my main stairwell, and they had crossbows...  :'( I could only watch as they shot everything and my half asleep military rushed to the seen, but got shot at from the top of the stairs apperently. Not a single dwarf got to the top to fight them. They then wiped out everything with their ranged weapons, killing civilians in ~two shots. Ouch. Time to roll back to last spring :(. Atleast my miner killed like two :D.

The point of this post? Ranged weapons are still extremely powerful. Watch out.
I discovered something new about aquifers!  On the down side, there's now a cave fish swimming around in the bedrooms.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: May 20, 2010, 05:49:39 am »

Later summer of second year. Metal industry working and as soon as I my carpenter finishes with the training axes, I'll order my squad of six dwarves begin to train.

Digging down, just hit the cavern and magma!!
So, have to move my metal industry down there. Shame, just got it running. But that's the smaller problem than worrying about the coal.

Oh, and I have already some plans about my shrine dedicated to Toady. It's will be huge, and probably FPS killer...  :D :P
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

barconis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: May 20, 2010, 10:59:34 am »

Early in the third year, not doing too badly. Lost more dwarves than I wanted to in the first ambush because I was still mucking around outside the moat instead of letting them come across the trapped land-bridge, but overall I can't complain. I just wish my mayor hadn't gotten munched by a blind cave bear right after being elected. :/

Edit: bah, I forgot to set a burrow, so I lost a few more stupid dwarves in the second ambush. "Oh, I must fish way out here!' "Oh, this _has_ to go into the stockpile!" Good riddance, worthless arsenal dwarf. I can replace you, if I ever get another mayor.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 03:39:54 pm by barconis »

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #485 on: May 20, 2010, 12:20:06 pm »

I was making a nice circle staircase thing when I hit the cavern. Of interesting note When The miner tried to dig the ramp into the empty space it revealed the cavern area without actually digging into anything thus it was still sealed.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Ultimarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: May 20, 2010, 05:55:21 pm »

After I decided to start from scratch to fix some basic defense errors of my original fort, I recruited 11 of the 31 dwarves into the military. Nearing winter of the second year, I dug down. Whoops! This will be fun, as its my first bump with caverns. Eh, theres no beasts down there.... right?
I discovered something new about aquifers!  On the down side, there's now a cave fish swimming around in the bedrooms.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: May 20, 2010, 06:14:25 pm »

huh got 21 dwarves, and no arsenal option, though my military has droped all their equipment and refuses to pick it back up, anyone know a way around this?
Nom nom nom

Ultimarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: May 20, 2010, 06:54:04 pm »

Uh-oh... Apparently a magma sea is NOT a giant body of magma, it is a magma pipe. Misnomer name... Well, there goes my main megaporject plan ;D. Time to brainstorm/be lazy...

huh got 21 dwarves, and no arsenal option, though my military has droped all their equipment and refuses to pick it back up, anyone know a way around this?

Possiblities from ze wiki:
There have been reports of the Arsenal Dwarf not appearing despite the population criteria being fulfilled; this is probably a bug. Don't worry, the position will randomly appear later.
This position may not appear until after you have assigned a sheriff.

Source: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Arsenal_dwarf

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: May 20, 2010, 06:55:54 pm »

Uh-oh... Apparently a magma sea is NOT a giant body of magma, it is a magma pipe. Misnomer name... Well, there goes my main megaporject plan ;D. Time to brainstorm/be lazy...

You have discovered a magma pool. The magma sea is at the base of it. Send a cat for a swim and see.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: May 20, 2010, 06:58:32 pm »

urist is righ, said pipe mearly leads to magma sea
Nom nom nom

Ultimarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: May 20, 2010, 07:12:17 pm »

Ooooooh. Thats awesome! Thanks for correcting me before I got attached to another project. :) In other news:
I have yet to find anything dangerous down there. Found some trogtolites, which gave my military some nice experience, but I have yet to find anything scary. But I know its there. Its watching me...

Edit: I found a Giant cave swallow lurking below. I send my massive armies (read: Ten soldiers) to attack it, and it flies up and down again. So now nine of the soldiers are standing there dumbfounded, and one dabbling axedwarf goes to attack it. I thought "Heh free practice for my doctors", and... he cut the things head off in two swings. RNG for the win?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 11:54:31 pm by Ultimarr »

Josiwe

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: May 20, 2010, 10:33:15 pm »

It's the end of my second year, and I expect a goblin ambush any time now. I have a rudimentary defense in place by way of a trapped entrance (cages, stonefall, and one retractable drawbridge over a lake) but my military is still pathetic. I'm trying to get some spikes made to add a renewable source of death in the entrance defense. I have begun smelting iron bars with hopes of making some steel in the near future, and finally some armor and weapons. I have 50 dwarves, 2 artifacts, and moderate happiness. I have breached the first cavern from the outside of my fort and it seems mostly harmless. I can see the magma, and plan to pump it from the cavern floor.

Question: if i have a 1 tile wide access tunnel to ensure enemies can path into my fort, what happens if a tree grows in the tunnel? I had thought enemies could walk "over" trees, but in an earlier post Martin seemed to imply it could block them. I can probably chop down anything that grows as soon as I notice it, but wondered if I would be better off building a floor/road along this tile to ensure compliance. Also, I don't seem to be listed as participating in the first post.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: May 20, 2010, 11:12:25 pm »

Trees being a natural impediment are fine to leave in place, but it will block enemies, water, magma, pretty much everything.

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: May 21, 2010, 08:17:58 am »

My artifact... weapon thing... is now in a weapon trap at the entrance to my fort. Hilarity will ensue. Also, am I the only one who hasn't gotten an ambush yet? Already at least two months into Year 3 and so far the only thing to rear its head are Kobold thieves. Oh, and a Large Rat when I popped the cork on the first underground cavern.
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 43